Author Topic: How often do you run into a word that is spelled right but just looks wrong?  (Read 965 times)

Offline seamas

• Well Established
The surname (related to my own) Featherstonehaugh is pronounced various ways, including Feston-shoe, Fenton-hay and most commonly Fanshaw.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
The surname (related to my own) Featherstonehaugh is pronounced various ways, including Feston-shoe, Fenton-hay and most commonly Fanshaw.
Or "Raymond Luxury Yacht".
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
February. Dafuq?

When I was in school I pronounced it FEB-R-U-ARY so I could get the spelling right.

I call Arkansas as Ar-Kansas and People as Pee Opel to help me spell them.

Maybe 5 years ago I found out that Arkansas and Arkansas are the same state. I mean who would think Ar-kan-saw is spelled Ar-kan-sas?

Of course I lived in Milnegavie for a bit. (Scotland. Pronouced Mulg-eye.)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Arkansas, but Kansas.

Offline PatrickG

• Off to a Start
entrée (used for main dish in the USA, but in French its the starter)
comptroller (apparently someone who trolls computations for the government, its the person who send my property tax bill)

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
I know what the OP is talking about, but it only happens to me rarely - maybe once or twice a year.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if it happens ALL THE TIME might it be a sign that one could be somewhere on the "dyslexic scale"?

And for an older person, if the frequency increased, I'd be concerned it might be a sign of something insidious beginning.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have trouble remembering to put "not" in sentences?

"The US military is a bunch of drunks with guns."

"The US military is not a bunch of drunks with guns."

Or is that even a problem?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have trouble remembering to put "not" in sentences?

Rarely, but I see it often enough in posts to assume its fairly common.

Pilots often make mistakes I contribute to "Mature Onset Dyslexia" - my term. Saying they're east of a fix when they're actually west, getting cleared to a runway with a bearing of 270° and heading to the one with a bearing of 090°.

Getting switched around 180° seems vaguely related to accidentally dropping or adding a negative. Common enough not to worry about, but to try to guard against.

"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
I've always thought having two pilots in the cockpit was a good idea for passenger planes.

Having two massive egos in a fighter cockpit, however...

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh

Rarely, but I see it often enough in posts to assume its fairly common.

Pilots often make mistakes I contribute to "Mature Onset Dyslexia" - my term. Saying they're east of a fix when they're actually west, getting cleared to a runway with a bearing of 270° and heading to the one with a bearing of 090°.

Getting switched around 180° seems vaguely related to accidentally dropping or adding a negative. Common enough not to worry about, but to try to guard against.

Is that a linguistic thing though? A lot of people have trouble mixing up east versus west, and left versus right. I have to go "right is the hand I write with" in my head every time or I'll say or think right when I mean left. And for east/west I think something like "the sea is west of my home, Russia is east". For some reason those things never became intuitive to me.
Mooohn!

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
I pretty much always have to put raise the hand in the direction in question to be sure which word to use and even then I screw it up.  I'll often raise my right hand and tell my wife to turn left at the next intersection.  Fortunately she knows that the hand is more reliable.

I occasionally forget "not" but that's probably the least problematic of my typos.  I once had a coworker that always used bold font for not because its too easy to skip when reading a sentence.  Probably a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:07:59 AM by Ah.hell »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
My wife is so bad at directions that I have to say "Democrat" and "Republican" to get her to turn in the right correct direction.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses

This is just in writing, not speaking, correct?  When I've found myself doing that it's because I wrote it down, then rearranged the sentence to read better and deleted the "not" by mistake.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established

This is just in writing, not speaking, correct?  When I've found myself doing that it's because I wrote it down, then rearranged the sentence to read better and deleted the "not" by mistake.
Just writing. If I were speaking that sentence the listener would be drinking a beer.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
I agree with Friendly Angel: when I forget the word not it's almost always because I've edited the sentence for clarity and either 1) mistakenly removed another negative or 2) reversed the direction of a comparison but forgotten to add "not."
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell