Author Topic: Benny Hinn gets raided by the IRS  (Read 408 times)

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Benny Hinn gets raided by the IRS
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:32 PM »
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2017/04/busted-irs-raids-benny-hinn-ministries/

Long overdue, the story also notes the 2007 Senate investigation of him by my Iowa senator Chuck Grassley.  This was the only time I wrote a letter to Grassley praising his work, and even though he had tons of very incriminating stuff on Hinn and several other religious hucksters, Grassley mysteriously dropped the whole business, never proposing legislation to fix these huge problems.

This is the worst of religious scamming, preying on old and sick people, getting rich in the process.

For those who haven't seen Hinn "slay in the spirit":

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
Re: Benny Hinn gets raided by the IRS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »
I read that after the agents broke in, they gathered together in a big group and chased Benny all around the office at accelerated speed, waving batons while the stereo played "Yakety Sax." At one point the chase passed through the ladies' dressing room, where a number of women in their underwear began jumping up and down and then joined the chase.

;)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
Holy shit.  I can only hope this leads somewhere.  Hinn is such a POS.

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
This guy could have an amazing career as a stand up comedian.  Wouldn't even have to change his act.
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
I watched the first 18 seconds. What's with all those idiots playing along with him?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
I keep confusing Benny Hinn and Benny Hill, and was expecting the raid to be conducted to this tune:

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
It was Benny Hill.  Evidence:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#notarealskeptic

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »
I watched the first 18 seconds. What's with all those idiots playing along with him?

This is a strange ritual called "being slain in the Spirit," where the power of the Holy Ghost is so powerful that it can knock you over. Like speaking in tongues, this is a sign of faith for certain Pentecostals. Part show and part power of suggestion.

Hinn has moderated his technique. Early on, he would stiff-arm you, palm first, on the forehead with real force, and literally knock you over, with the deacons there behind to catch you. I have seen him lately do it by blowing on you "the Breath of God' (which is the literal translation of the Holy Spirit).
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
That video... I feel so embarrassed for them.  :laugh:

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »
The power of suggestion is strong, as is the urge not to be the only one in your peer group who can't receive the holy spirit. Or maybe it's the same reason I once played along with a stage hypnotist.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
Honestly I am afraid surprised that the IRS would do this under the Trump administration even against Hinn
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:58:34 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 08:26:41 PM »
Then there is this version:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#notarealskeptic

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
Honestly I am afraid that the IRS would do this under the Trump administration even against Hinn

I don't understand you.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »
Honestly I am afraid surprised  that the IRS would do this under the Trump administration even against Hinn

I don't understand you.

OK, I screwed up what I mean to write.

Trump is all buddy-buddy with the religious right to the point of wanting to repeal the Johnson Amendment. I am surprised that the IRS under Trump is will to go after any preacher.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 02:50:43 AM »
The power of suggestion is strong, as is the urge not to be the only one in your peer group who can't receive the holy spirit. Or maybe it's the same reason I once played along with a stage hypnotist.
Having been on the receiving end of this, I can attest that it is a very powerful thing. You're caught up in an atmosphere - a huge number of people are all on the same page, thinking the same thoughts, reacting the same ways. It's hard to explain to someone who's never experienced it, but there's no direct conscious decision to conform - no-one's saying to themself "hey, I'd better fall over now so that I don't look like an idiot". The pastor does the thing, and you just fall over. It just happens. It actually feels really good.

personate-rain