Author Topic: Acupuncture thought at Swedish universities, why?  (Read 178 times)

Offline osallstrom

• Brand New
Acupuncture thought at Swedish universities, why?
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
Hello guys! I'm a regular podcast listener, though a newcomer to the forums. I love the SGU, it's my weekly dose of skepticism in a somewhat desinformed environment these days.

But to get on point. I've been thinking about enrolling to a bachelors in physiotherapy at university level. All physiotherapist educations are regulated and taught at uni level here(sweden). But I have one/two concerns with it.

1. They have a mandatory acupuncture course. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ltu.se%2Fedu%2Fcourse%2FS00%2FS0076H%2FS0076H-Sjukgymnastik-Grundlaggande-akupunktur-1.100778%3FkursView%3Dkursplan And this is taught at several universities offering the education. This kind of puts me off to be honest being an avid SGU listener and all.

2. The university pedagogy seems in general terms really outdated here, with most, and sometimes all of it being taught with the traditional lecture set up, with a professor uneducated in teaching flickers through a power point presentation for hours. This kind of puts me off too. Might be somewhat different for this education in particular, but my experience from universities and from what I've heard its pretty much the standard way of teaching around here.

What do you guys think of acupuncture being taught by a university? Is there something I've missed in this glorified eastern practice(read pseudoscience)?

What are your thoughts about university pedagogy? I understand it might be a heavy machinery to turn around and could of course have financial explanations.

Cheers. 

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Acupuncture thought at Swedish universities, why?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »
One of the lessons taught by James Randi is that scientists and academics are as easy to fool, using the basic tools of the stage magician, as ordinary folks, because they are not attuned to deception. Another element could be political: Once a field of quackery gains enough popular support, it can push through legislation to further its goals. Those are the only insights I can offer, knowing nothing at all about Sweden, to try to explain the incorporation of quackery into the physiotherapy curriculum there.

Note that there are mainstream medical schools here in the U.S. teaching quackery as well. So it's not just Sweden.

I was in Sweden for a few days of a month-long Europe trip in 1966. It was one of the friendliest countries on my trip. Maybe the Swedes are just too nice to tell the acupuncturists that they're full of shit.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
Note that there are mainstream medical schools here in the U.S. teaching quackery as well. So it's not just Sweden.

I was in Sweden for a few days of a month-long Europe trip in 1966. It was one of the friendliest countries on my trip. Maybe the Swedes are just too nice to tell the acupuncturists that they're full of shit.

1966. Decades before I was born, when my parents were kids.

Various countries have their woo. Germany has homeopathy, France has (really strong) anti-GMO, etc.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
This thread reminds of my Dad, he drops the Hs and puts them in places they don't belong.  He has literally said, I taught he thought math.

Aside from that, US med schools teach nonsense too, I assume British schools do as well considering they have homeopathic hospitals. 

personate-rain
personate-rain