Author Topic: Episode #617  (Read 912 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Episode #617
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 05:08:46 AM »
I think when you are facing a law suit like the SGU is, you find the absolute best legal aid you can, regardless of their beliefs (If their beliefs negatively impact the case then they are clearly not the best option).
I did actually disagree with some of what the guest said but my problem with the discussion was that it was actually very slim on actual content and was more back slapping exercise among a bunch of guys saying
 'Look how diverse my peer group is!'
I dont feel like much was really addressed.

I will say that I dont think Breitbart offers anything whatsoever in terms of valuable news (or even trustwirthy news) but reading it 'for entertainment' is just rewarding and monetising their behaviour and leads to more misinformation in the world.
The actual verifiable news rarely differs much on source nowadays so all you really get are different editorial slants. The only real way to mitigate our biases in how we recieve the news is to engage in discussion on it (which is what this forum is very good for).
I find people who brag about going to all the sources to be generally just trying to claim their own ideological conclusions are somehow more objectively informed.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
I agree with Harry on the interview but not so much on the second paragraph. 

Offline Joos

• Brand New
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
I agree the interview was a bit weak. I appreciate when panels bring on guests with different viewpoints and from different political backgrounds, and I believe it is important for the skeptical movement to not only appeal to one group. I also found the bit about media and 'playing a character' to be a bit interesting. However, it felt like the guest (a bit like the one with Marty Klein) oversimplified a complex issue without being challenged by the hosts. I agree that there is too much 'Us vs them' in politics and that we should aim to understand each other, but I don't agree when Marc and I think Steve said that it's just a matter of different sources of information and that it shouldn't be taken personally.

I think very few serious political disagreements are about matters that can be completely separated from values. I don't think you can expect people to *not* take it personally when someone else's
political conviction involves infringing on your human rights due to your race, religion, sexuality or gender. I believe Steve said something along the lines of that it's important to take a clear stand when someone expresses views that are reprehensible. I guess that is a matter of interpretation of where you draw the line at "reprehensible" or unacceptable. I don't think I could personally be polite and friendly with someone who believes that women's rights doesn't matter, or that gay men shouldn't be allowed to adopt.

I am not saying that this is what all members of a political party believes, but from listening to people talk about American politics it certainly seems like these are the issues that drive people apart. Issues that boils down to our core values. I've also heard people argue that "Even if you personally don't have anything against us (insert minority group here), x or y issue was more important to you than protecting our rights" for people who say that they are e.g fiscally conservative but socially liberal.

Anyway, tricky Science or Fiction this week. Liked the bit about bilingualism, quite interesting.

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
I don't understand why it matters to the Rogues so much if Alex Jones actually believes what he says or not.  I think ultimately he's still peddling dangerous conspiracy theories and there are people who do believe him and his lies should be exposed even if he doesn't believe them.   If anything, I think it makes Alex Jones even worse if he doesn't believe his claims because then he's clearly a liar and taking advantage of vulnerable people by scaring them with something he knows isn't true.  Would exposing the lies of Dr. Oz suddenly matter less if it was revealed Dr. Oz didn't believe any of his claims?  I doubt the Rogues would let Dr. Oz off the hook that easily but for some reason Alex Jones is being held to a different standard. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:42:32 AM by Neon Genesis »

personate-rain