Author Topic: Second world war wrecks illegally scavenged for scrap  (Read 454 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Second world war wrecks illegally scavenged for scrap
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »
I have read that they have new processes that minimize the amount of radiation even in newly smelted iron / steel.
That would hopefully reduce the desecration of war graves.

The German WW1 Scapa Flow warship are not war graves. They were sunk as a protest with the crew abandoning the ships.
There is the weird kind of corruption in East Asia which makes me think that just because there is a process to make low radiation steel, they would still be salvaging these ships. What hit me was just how difficult it is to salvage these ships and that nobody noticed it at the time.
I never said anything about Scapa Flow. Obviously if there's are no dead on the ships it's not a war grave site.

I don't think the steel was low radiation was a major factor. I think those ships would have been scavenged no matter what. It was just steel and there for the taking.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 02:11:48 PM »
I have read that they have new processes that minimize the amount of radiation even in newly smelted iron / steel.
That would hopefully reduce the desecration of war graves.

The German WW1 Scapa Flow warship are not war graves. They were sunk as a protest with the crew abandoning the ships.
There is the weird kind of corruption in East Asia which makes me think that just because there is a process to make low radiation steel, they would still be salvaging these ships. What hit me was just how difficult it is to salvage these ships and that nobody noticed it at the time.
I never said anything about Scapa Flow. Obviously if there's are no dead on the ships it's not a war grave site.

I don't think the steel was low radiation was a major factor. I think those ships would have been scavenged no matter what. It was just steel and there for the taking.
IIRC they were salvaged before and during WWII, any source of steel then would have been pounced regardless of sentimental value.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
IIRC they were salvaged before and during WWII, any source of steel then would have been pounced regardless of sentimental value.

I don't know how war graves are determined either. . . .Is it mainly if you are the victor?
The reason why is that I don't believe there were many complaints about the German battleship Tirpitz being salvaged and around 1000 people died when she was destroyed.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »

I don't know how war graves are determined either. . . .Is it mainly if you are the victor?
The reason why is that I don't believe there were many complaints about the German battleship Tirpitz being salvaged and around 1000 people died when she was destroyed.
I'd need to know when it was salvaged and when the "war graves" treaty was signed by Trondheim's mayor.

;D

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
Maybe I am sacrilegious  ;D but I don't get too worked up about war graves. You are dead, you don't care.
I guess what gets me is just how much effort it took to do it in at least semi secret. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »
Maybe I am sacrilegious  ;D but I don't get too worked up about war graves. You are dead, you don't care.
I guess what gets me is just how much effort it took to do it in at least semi secret.
If somebody plundered your local graveyard for fine woods you'd would ...

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »

If you ever watch Time Team, in the U.K. you almost cannot shake a stick without finding a grave.
Treat with respect sure, but I just don't get too worked up.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »

If you ever watch Time Team, in the U.K. you almost cannot shake a stick without finding a grave.
Treat with respect sure, but I just don't get too worked up.
They sure do get excited about henges, don't they? So, your grave gets plundered for dog food. Nobody minds.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
They sure do get excited about henges, don't they? So, your grave gets plundered for dog food. Nobody minds.

I personally don't care if my body gets used for dog food. . . .I actually like Sky Burials  but I do understand that some people differ.

This is a case where for things like war graves, I just go with the flow but I don't have strong emotions.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain