Poll

Do you think Steve will write a skeptica book? If so, when?

Within one year from now
0 (0%)
Within three years
1 (11.1%)
Within five years
1 (11.1%)
Within 10 years
1 (11.1%)
Within 20 years
1 (11.1%)
At some point, but farther ahead than 20 years
0 (0%)
Never
5 (55.6%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Do you think Steve will write a skeptical book? If so, when?  (Read 530 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
As you may (or may not) know, a few years ago, Steven Novella and Massimo Pigliucci were co-writing a book about skepticism. That prject, from what I understand, has been dis-continued.

Nonetheless, even though the SGU is Steve's main skeptical project, he is also doing other things to further the skeptical cause, for example his Great Courses lecture series. Nevertheless, a book is packed into one thing, unless a podcast or a lecture series, these are more "spread out". And an easy thing to point others to.

How likely do you think it is that Steve will eventually, at some point, write a skeptical book? And when?

I do think a skeptical book written by Steve has the potential to be very good. Many of the classical skeptical books are decades old, and thus dated in some respects.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
Re: Do you think Steve will write a skeptical book? If so, when?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:55:15 AM »
I have no idea whether or not he's writing a book. But one thing I do know for certain is that if he does write one, I will buy and read it.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:14:03 AM »
I was wondering this myself (although I was unaware of the project with Pigliucci). I was pondering what a "Skeptical Mt. Rushmore" would look like, and if Steve would be on it. I think there is a good chance that he will be viewed as the G.O.A.T. Skeptic, even ahead of Sagan. But the one key difference is that Sagan wrote classics like Cosmos, and Steve hasn't written a comprehensive book like that. Maybe in this new era blog posts and podcasts have supplanted books, but I don't think we are at that point yet. Maybe Steve will write one after he retires from medicine. I sure hope so!

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 05:03:32 AM »
As someone who has listened to the SGU every week for several years now, I would love to buy a book by Steve or any of the Rogues to read. 

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »
I was wondering this myself (although I was unaware of the project with Pigliucci). I was pondering what a "Skeptical Mt. Rushmore" would look like, and if Steve would be on it. I think there is a good chance that he will be viewed as the G.O.A.T. Skeptic, even ahead of Sagan. But the one key difference is that Sagan wrote classics like Cosmos, and Steve hasn't written a comprehensive book like that. Maybe in this new era blog posts and podcasts have supplanted books, but I don't think we are at that point yet. Maybe Steve will write one after he retires from medicine. I sure hope so!

One difference is that Steve is pretty much only known within skeptical circles. People like Sagan and Randi achieved notoriety in the wider culture as well.

But, whereas many in the older generation of skeptics found the skeptical movement via books or magazines like the Skeptical Inquirer, my impression is that many newer skeptics found it via podcasts such as The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.

And I think that Steve is the sharpest and most careful thinker within skepticism.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »
One difference is that Steve is pretty much only known within skeptical circles. People like Sagan and Randi achieved notoriety in the wider culture as well.

Of the people I encounter day-to-day, not counting those who are my friends because we share a skeptical outlook, very few would recognise either Randi or Sagan. Perhaps some of the older ones might remember watching the original Cosmos on TV, but my dad doesn't, and I know for a fact that he watched it.

Actors, sports people and politicians are the ones who get remembered.

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:37:54 PM »
A huge, general skeptical book on medicine is a niche that needs to be filled.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 08:40:17 PM »
This may come as a shock to you, but I assure you it's true:

Most people don't read books.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »

Of the people I encounter day-to-day, not counting those who are my friends because we share a skeptical outlook, very few would recognise either Randi or Sagan. Perhaps some of the older ones might remember watching the original Cosmos on TV, but my dad doesn't, and I know for a fact that he watched it.

Actors, sports people and politicians are the ones who get remembered.

Yes, I agree that Sagan and Randi aren't super-famous. But they did get some celebrity in the wider world. Cosmos has had about 500 million watchers, at least it is estimated so. Sagan also wrote several books that made it to the bestseller lists. And Randi was known as a magician before he was active in the skeptical movement (in a way he was a co-founder, just like Sagan).

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
Maybe Steve will write one after he retires from medicine. I sure hope so!

Seems like an as likely estimate as anything else. So in about 15 years then. ;)

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »

Admittedly, I read a lot less often than I used to, but I do listen to a lot of audiobooks, lectures, Great Courses, etc.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

Admittedly, I read a lot less often than I used to, but I do listen to a lot of audiobooks, lectures, Great Courses, etc.
You're not "most people". No-one who posts on this forum is.

Offline God Bomb

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 10:41:48 PM »
"Print is dead"
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »

You're not "most people". No-one who posts on this forum is.

I think you are right. People in the skeptical bubble tend to be different from most people in the mainstream bubble.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »
Isn't book reading actually up compared to a generation ago?
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain