Author Topic: NHS in England hit by 'cyber-attack'  (Read 565 times)

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: NHS in England hit by 'cyber-attack'
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
I suspect Monday is going to be a very busy day for Windows sys admins.

Ours are already at work. I don't envy them, their weekend probably ended on Friday afternoon.

Sounds like your place is prepared... But I can imagine some very awkward conversations in some organisations on Monday about patching cycles and the like. Boom time for security consultants for the next few years I would think.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »
I suspect Monday is going to be a very busy day for Windows sys admins.

Ours are already at work. I don't envy them, their weekend probably ended on Friday afternoon.

Sounds like your place is prepared... But I can imagine some very awkward conversations in some organisations on Monday about patching cycles and the like. Boom time for security consultants for the next few years I would think.

We have great people. Though, the real test will come on Monday when everyone gets back to work.

Offline nameofthewave

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
I've read that the sites were all running XP without having the latest security updates.

Having the latest updates on XP wouldn't have helped them, because support ended 3 years ago. Although now after the fact, there is an update. https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/13/microsoft-windowsxp-wannacrypt-nhs-patch/

Windows 7 security updates end in 2020, and Windows 10 in 2025.

I don't think it's a good idea for major governments to rely on commercial actors for their vital infrastructure. I can see maybe Iceland not affording to build their own systems, although in such a case it should be a lot easier to implement open source software everywhere.

The UK in particular would like to privatize as much as possible, and have been starving the NHS for a while. I wonder if this will be a death knell for the NHS, or a revival as people realize what they've been set up for by their politicians.

Yes, this could have some interesting implications for the coming general election. People get that the NHS has been chronically underfunded but if the point is made that lives have been lost due to outdated operating systems and this is directly linked to funding cuts..or warnings about out of date infrastructure were shown to be ignored by ministers.. things could get interesting. Mind you, that would depend on having a competent opposition to actually make this point. I mean, Windows XP... it's not like they haven't had advance warning. I can only imagine the kind of unplanned IT that has evolved over the years in the NHS though, I don't envy their IT staff.

Offline Nemmzy

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
If this is because of NSA backdoors, this has to destroy the entire concept of giving up "privacy" for "security".

Aside of that, it should encourage a move away from relying on operating systems that expire for commercial reasons.

This is why I cheered Apple in their fight with the FBI. It only takes one disgruntled bureaucrat and that information is up for sale on the dark web.

I would also say shame on an institution that knowingly uses an OS that is no longer supported. XP is what 15 years old now? You can't expect a for-profit company to support an OS in perpetuity with no additional revenue streaming from that product. Heads need to roll in the tech dept of the NHS and the NSA. (But, I doubt that will happen. Since they warned Microsft in advance.) If you can't afford Windows 10 switch to Lenix.

In more positive news:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/uk-working-restore-hospital-systems-cyberattack-47387911

Online mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
South Korea I wager still largely runs on Windows XP.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
In about 5 years XP will probably be super secure on a practical level.  Security through obscurity is a real thing.  At a personal level anyways.  Put your health record system on Haiku OS, and suddenly no viruses guaranteed!
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline Nemmzy

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »
The tech shop where I work is not down with Open Source.  We fight with them over it all the time because we utilize some open source tools in my department like Moodle (Learning Management System) and Mahara (ePortfolio).I don't really get the aversion except maybe the impression that it somehow creates more work for them. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:25 PM »
Security through obscurity is a real thing.
True - right up to the point where it isn't.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »
My three OS / 2 Warp installations seem to be doing fine.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

personate-rain
personate-rain