Author Topic: Episode #618  (Read 1092 times)

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode #618
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »
SpaceX is a man with a 'rocket hammer' looking for a nail to hit.  The space stuff is very cool, but the market for conventional space hauling is limited to spy-, weather- and some communication satellites. World-wide satellite internet could be a way to get extra rocket payloads, but it is a long shot. Here is an article addressing this: http://mashable.com/2017/01/13/spacex-elon-musk-satellite-internet-revenue
It is now. Largely because the technology and political will hasn't existed to do much else. SpaceX is aiming to change the space landscape and open up more markets and applications for space flight. That's literally in its mission statement - to "transform space exploration".

Offline PatrickG

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »

The idea that they wont leave space trash because Musk 'runs a space company' seems like very poor logic to me. I dont trust the altruism of entrpeneurs.
I agree that there is likely little true altruism.

These internet satellites are low orbit, so I suspect they will crash and burn in the atmosphere by theme selves after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline God Bomb

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 06:28:28 AM »
trouble with tribbles reference
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline EverydayAstronaut

• Brand New
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
One thing to note about SpaceX's proposed constellation is these satellites will actually operate in VLEO or very low Earth Orbit which requires them having to virtually continually station keep. This also gives them a VERY low life span (a few years at most). If they were to stop station keeping, they would completely de-orbit within days (weeks?), relatively quickly. This also helps eliminate space debris as these very small satellites sort of take care of themselves even if they're not properly deorbited.

The fact that they're in VLEO means that ping times are supposedly going to be quick enough to "game on" which is a great goal. This truly could be revolutionary. To have GLOBAL internet coverage, absolutely everywhere with no black outs. Imagine road trips where you could continually game as you travel.

Another note, SpaceX uses pneumatic pushers for things like stage separation, fairing deploy, and payload deploy. This makes it so there is virtually NO additional debris. The reason they do this isn't necessarily for debris sake, but mostly for eventual full reusability and the ability to test these subsystems prior to launch (unlike explosive bolts).

Although it looks TERRIFYING when you see a map of all the satellites currently in orbit, you do have to keep in mind that these are relatively small things in the grand scheme of the world. They are operating at very different altitudes, they're miles and miles apart, and anything in LEO will deorbit rather quickly once station keeping propellant is used up. Those animations we see are misleading because they show you these huge dots and it looks like we've truly littered outer space with all this garbage, but these dots are drastically enlarged so you can see them. 

example - http://www.popsci.com/now-you-can-see-all-space-junk-floating-around-earth-real-time#page-3

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 02:14:46 PM »
The week's forgotten superhero was fascinating.  I was familiar with Taylor's time and motion studies, but had never heard of Gilbreth.

I wonder about denying women "credit", though.  Every time I had heard of Taylor, he was cast as a villain.  Chaplin's Modern Times is a revolt against "efficiency" and "scientific management", basically dehumanizing people and turning them into replaceable machines.  There's even an ideology of Anti-Taylorism.  As we expand our stories to match empirical reality, people previously denied "credit" will have to take the bad with the good.

These changes could benefit conservatism and mainstream thinking: there's a pretty strong current against "dead white men", which manifests in the anti-vax, anti-GMO, anti-nuclear, anti-capitalist, anti-intellectual movements.  If people come to realize that our existing civilization wasn't built by "just a bunch of white guys", it could prevent throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
For a while the point of the forgotten superhero segment seemed to be to say that women were forgotten because they were women, rather than to talk about the specific person and their specific circumstances. There were a couple of times where Bob had to excuse the forgotten superhero being a man, stating that women had it worse.

I think it got better after Cara joined, and my impression was that they were freaking out about losing Rebecca and not being perceived as feminist enough.

Offline albator

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:58 PM »
I was a bit shocked Jay args for, pretty much, the censure of anti-vax speech. I really hope it was just an off the cuff comment and he just didn't really thing about it.

For a while the point of the forgotten superhero segment seemed to be to say that women were forgotten because they were women, rather than to talk about the specific person and their specific circumstances. There were a couple of times where Bob had to excuse the forgotten superhero being a man, stating that women had it worse.

I think it got better after Cara joined, and my impression was that they were freaking out about losing Rebecca and not being perceived as feminist enough.
I doubt it's to be perceived as feminist enough.
I think Steve state more than once that he thought the under representation of women in stem fields was, in part, the result of lack of role and bad stereotype and advocate for the need to actively try to change minds ; and this segment was part of this global effort.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:15:27 PM by albator »

Offline God Bomb

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 04:06:45 AM »
I think the disparity between famous male scientists  to famous female scientists has a lot more to do with women not being offered the same scientific education until recent decades than it does with men "stealing" credit or women's roles being downplayed, although I do not deny those things happened too.  But lets remember that historically the number of women in higher education has been extremely limited and even forbidden in some places, especially in the sciences, so the skewed perception that men are better at science because most famous scientists were men has a fairly simple explanation.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
So what happens to those Facebook live streams after they're no longer live?

They're on this page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/theskepticsguide/videos/

Never use Facebook, so that wasn't obvious to me. It's a very annoying site to use without being logged in to. Though at least it is possible to play the videos with the screen off (on iOS), unlike YouTube for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:30:24 PM by 2397 »

Offline Marasmusine

• Off to a Start
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
I have a relative who directed me to EU theory a number of years ago and I haven't dared asked him about it since.  He mentioned it at the same time as the Holographic Principle, as though it were a theory (and not just a principle). I didn't have the heart to tell him that it's incompatible with EU theory (Holographic Principle holds true if gravity can form black holes: in EU theory black holes don't exist). He pre-empted accusations of pseudoscience by stating "all science is pseudoscience". Also reality is subjective, not objective. Obviously general relativity is wrong, as is the second law of thermodynamics. It's a bubble of ignorance that has to expand to keep the core pseudoscience valid, with semantic play that let's you dismiss any countering evidence.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
Space junk could be the answer to the Fermi Paradox: "Where is everybody?" They're all locked inside an impenetrable shell of space junk.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »
Grammar police:

One of the rogues said something like "Her and her husband operated a business..." in the Forgotten Superheroes segment. This makes me want to scream and pull my hair out. You'd never say "Her operated a business..." You'd say "She operated a business." So it's "She and her husband operated a business..."

Yeah, language changes, but this is just beyond unforgivable for people who present themselves as communicators. G*dda**it to f***ing hell people, if you're going to speak English, speak English!!!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 07:29:37 PM »
Could be that he was the husband of two women, although then only the husband operated it.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
Grammar police:

One of the rogues said something like "Her and her husband operated a business..." in the Forgotten Superheroes segment. This makes me want to scream and pull my hair out. You'd never say "Her operated a business..." You'd say "She operated a business." So it's "She and her husband operated a business..."

Yeah, language changes, but this is just beyond unforgivable for people who present themselves as communicators. G*dda**it to f***ing hell people, if you're going to speak English, speak English!!!
On the other hand, if people speak with too much precision, it sounds artificial. I can always tell when someone is reading from a prepared script as opposed to speaking extemporaneously. I prefer that when people speak, they speak using natural language, and their natural idioms. If that means that they say "her and her husband", then so be it.

Though I agree with you that it's grammatically just wrong, it's acceptable because it sounds natural.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
Grammar police:

On the other hand, if people speak with too much precision, it sounds artificial. I can always tell when someone is reading from a prepared script as opposed to speaking extemporaneously. I prefer that when people speak, they speak using natural language, and their natural idioms. If that means that they say "her and her husband", then so be it.

Though I agree with you that it's grammatically just wrong, it's acceptable because it sounds natural.

I hear you. But to me it sounds so unnatural that it distracts from what they're trying to communicate. Maybe I'm showing my age.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain