Poll

How important is the SGU podcast to you and your life?

It is very important to me.
6 (24%)
It is moderately important to me.
10 (40%)
It is pretty unimportant to me.
5 (20%)
It is completely unimportant to me.
2 (8%)
Other
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: How important is the SGU podcast to you and your life?  (Read 368 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
How important is the SGU podcast to you and your life?
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
I know that for some people the podcast completely changed their life, or their outlook on life. Others were on that track already, but the podcast still serves as an educational tool for them. Others don't think it's important at all. And there are all sorts on combinations and in-betweens.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: How important is the SGU podcast to you and your life?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
I like it and would notice its absence.  Voted 'moderately important' on that basis. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
Right now?  Not much at all.  I don't think I can really give them credit for fundamentally changing my way of thinking about the world either.

But six years ago SGU was one of the only things I listened to, and it kept me sane at the time.  Considering how much of an effort I was making at the time to avoid education, personal betterment, and any form of intelligent conversation whatsoever, I have to give it a lot of credit for keeping me from become an imbecile.  Virtually every source of science news, and a lot of political/history stuff I consume today is 3-4 degrees of Kevin Bacon away from the SGU.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
I really don't know how to answer that question. I listen to every episode as soon as I can, I enjoy it and I look forward to the next one. Does that mean that it's "important" to me and my life? Not as important as food and shelter is, no. Not as important as good health and exercise. But more important than the new pair of shoes that I don't need yet. More important than my favourite tie.

I think that for me, this is very much the wrong way to ask the question. The question seems designed in order to make it impossible for me to answer.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
Pretty unimportant.  I listen too it on saturday or sunday when I run.  If they stopped producing it, I'd miss it for a bit then forget about it.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
Pretty unimportant.  I listen too it on saturday or sunday when I run.  If they stopped producing it, I'd miss it for a bit then forget about it.

I'd remember it for a while.  It's my only source of news covering their area.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
I put it right up there with... Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
Back when I was still new to considering myself an atheist, the podcast was my first, regular window into the skeptical community and Steve is still one of the people I would most like to emulate in terms of processing the world skeptically. Now, it's just something I listen to, but it was pretty important to me in my formative years as a skeptic and atheist.

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 05:36:21 PM »
Back when I was still new to considering myself an atheist, the podcast was my first, regular window into the skeptical community and Steve is still one of the people I would most like to emulate in terms of processing the world skeptically. Now, it's just something I listen to, but it was pretty important to me in my formative years as a skeptic and atheist.
This is pretty close to where I'm at, except replace atheist with skeptic.  I was an atheist long before I was a skeptic.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »
This is pretty close to where I'm at, except replace atheist with skeptic.  I was an atheist long before I was a skeptic.
I will say this show is largely why I identify as a skeptic primarily, instead of as an atheist. I'm both, but being an atheist is just an extension of my skepticism.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
I think that the show was very influential on my thinking early on, but I've moved past it in a lot of ways.  Little that they talk about surprises me now, and it has become primarily a source of science news for me; but even at that I find I'm now getting most of the science news they cover from other sources before it's talked about on the show.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »
I was an atheist long before I called myself an atheist. Don't really identify myself much, so I'm not too worried about which labels to use now.

Watching George Carlin for the first time was my sort of revelation, and realization of not believing not being something to be conflicted about.

I don't know when I started listening to the SGU. But I think that before I got a smartphone, it was only podcasts from the BBC and the Norwegian equivalent NRK that I listened to. News and science. And then for a while The Bugle and the SGU were my main podcasts, which I've would've described as dealing with bullshit in each their way (John Oliver used to be a co-host, if that helps as a brief description). And I watched a lot of atheist content on YouTube, for maybe a couple of years until I felt there wasn't anything new to explore. But one source of content I would put as having equal value to the SGU now, is the Ask an Atheist podcast, because it's topical.

I used to listen to Geologic and the Skeptic Zone (learned about them through the SGU). But I much prefer the SGU's conversation style than the monologues, and I'm probably not going to listen to those type of podcasts again unless I need to stock up on content for travel.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »

My impression is that quite a lot of people first come into contact with skepticism and the skeptical movement through the SGU. As time goes on and new skeptics rise to prominence (at least within the skeptical community), quite a few of them will probably have the SGU as an influence, like older skeptics might have Sagan or Randi as influences. I guess.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »
The SGU is very important to me in that it is my favorite podcast, both for its educational and its entertainment value. I look forward to it every week, and I donate more money to the SGU than to any other single podcast.

However, it has not fundamentally changed my outlook. I've been an atheist all my life (self-declared at the age of 5, according to my mother) and fascinated by science since I first learned to read. The SGU has educated me on a number of specific items, and changed my mind on a few controversial issues (organic foods and GMOs, e.g.) but these were not fundamental changes to my belief system, rather they were merely keeping me up with the current science. And that (keeping me up with the current science) makes the show very important to me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck