Author Topic: Ah, the Zune (Guardians of the Galaxy minor spoiler)  (Read 199 times)

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Ah, the Zune (Guardians of the Galaxy minor spoiler)
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »
So a Zune is featured in Guardians of the Galaxy.

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-is-a-zune-guardians-2-pokes-fun-at-the-extinct-music-device-53500

Anyone have one? I had one of their 4gb devices. Actually I had two. The first stopped working during its warranty period. The replacement stopped working after the warranty period. Meh.

The interface was pretty cool. I hated the Zune connection software. It was worse that iTunes. But all n all it was pretty good for listening to podcasts.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Ah, the Zune (Guardians of the Galaxy minor spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »
Got one around here somewhere.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Nemmzy

• Tonight we post... IN HELL!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »
We just did a purge of the giant pile of eleoctronics junk in our basement I think there were two amoung Zip drives, a GameCube, iPods, hardivies, RAM, laptops, an original Playstonion, and a tangle of anchient laptop power cords. We have this "we might need that for parts" mentality that makes it hard for us to throw that stuff out. Even though we haven't rebuilt anything in years.

My husband is still tied into that architecture kind of. His last few phones have been Windows phones mostly so he could keep his old Zune play lists. I was an Apple sort of gal back then so I never got one. I do remember thinking they were kind of clunky compared to my iPods. I prefer Spotify now.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »
As I wrote, I had an 80 GB Zune and I thought it was far better than the iPod I got to replace it.
Much easier to navigate. I lost my Zune and it was too expensive to replace with another Zune.
Now, I just use my phone however.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
I like the clip-on music players for exercise, so would like to see more competition in that area. And I prefer regular wired earbuds, especially because I often wear shades and don't want to have other things wrap around my ears. The easiest solution has been to be able to clip a small player onto my shirt, or onto other things that can hold themselves up like a scarf.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
I had the 40 GB version.  It was the lovely brown one, which I got in a close out for $40.00 or something like that.  I really liked it, I used the crap out of it for a while, then I dropped it and shattered the screen, and that was the end of my Zune-ing.  At the time, with all that memory, it was a sweet (butt ugly) machine.

ETA:  I could be wrong about the memory size, as my own memory has diminished. It was probably 30GB.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:28:18 PM by Swagomatic »
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Never had a zune but I will bitch about the Ipod.  Virtually all of their competitors were better.  Solid state was better than a hard drive except for capacity and the interface sucked.   Most other media players had a display that you could scroll through and actually see what song would play.  The ipod was really a marketing success more than a design success.  I'll admit, itunes made organizing your music easier. 
I like the clip-on music players for exercise, so would like to see more competition in that area. And I prefer regular wired earbuds, especially because I often wear shades and don't want to have other things wrap around my ears. The easiest solution has been to be able to clip a small player onto my shirt, or onto other things that can hold themselves up like a scarf.
Back when I was running half marathons, I liked a separate player because running my phone for the GPS and a media player killed the battery before the end of the run.   I still have creative mp3 player around somewhere. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:39:58 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline BilLumberg

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »
I have a 4gb zune that was on clearance. Don't remember the cost but it was super cheap. I have been using it for podcasts when doing yard work for at least 7 or 8 years. Works great and my biggest surprise is how well the battery has held up. I will agree that it would be nice to be able to use 3rd party software though.

personate-rain