Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 333 times)

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
The Coffee Thread
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:57:24 AM »
On the podcast, Jay has referred to some uber-nerdy arcane process for brewing coffee that he learned from his brother-in-law.

What's your preferred method? What kind of gear do you use? How much deliberate control do you exert over the process? 

As for myself, being a homebrewer of 20+ years, I am quite comfortable with procedures involving the control of time and temperature over granular mixtures in a heated liquid. For brewing coffee I use a Capresso burr grinder, a basic Bodum 1 liter press, a Zojirushi water heater, and the timer function on my microwave oven.

I start with a favorite locally-roasted blend of whole beans, set the grind to the low end of medium-coarse, grind for 5 cups of coffee to fill my 1 liter press. Then I fill the coffee press carafe with hot water, swirling to mix it into the grounds. I place the lid on top, pressing the plunger to just below the surface in order to ensure all the grounds stay submerged. I set the timer to 5:00 and press the plunger down when the time is up.  I don't sweat the timing too much, because from my experience a minute or two on one end or the other makes a negligible difference.

Sometimes I do a cold brew using essentially the same process with cold RO-filtered water, kept cold overnight in the refrigerator.

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
Lots of time - French Press
Most mornings - coffee grinder drip combo machine
In the depths of my office dungeon -Keurig aka close enough

I do love a fresh ground over night cold brew in the summer.

Online teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
I have this:

It makes very good coffee and the siphon process is fun to watch.  The coffee maker itself is not without its issues.

The heating element is in the carafe, which means you can't submerge it.  At some point mine started to leak so the unit started to short and I had to have it replaced.

Additionally cleaning all this is not as easy as other coffee makers, as none of it is dishwasher-able.  On the plus side there's a permanent filter which I got with it, so I only need to buy the grounds and the machine was reasonably priced.

I used to cold-brew, I had a french press and I've used a fully automated espresso machine.  I'd say all of the methods I've used make a good cup out of good grounds with probably the best coffee being from the espresso machine.  It was also the most expensive method of all of them, with the biggest kitchen counter footprint.

I've also used pod machines, I had a Tassimo machine at home and I also used Nespresso on numerous hotel stays.  Nespresso coffee pods make an outstanding cup of coffee, Tassimo is just ok.  If you're ok with the business model I'd highly recommend Nespresso.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:27:34 PM by teethering »

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
I have this:

I was thinking about assembling a coffee siphon setup out of surplus borosilicate lab ware and a hot plate.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
One cup size french press. Two table spoons of store bought french, pre ground beans. Boil the kettle and leave the pot to brew/cool for about 5 min.

Theres quite a few places about the city with far more involved processes who pride themselves on their product but for some reason I just cant find anything that tastes as good (to me) as my own lazy ass method.

At this point I would sadly rather get starbucks when Im out than sit in the gorgeous artisnal places based purely on my tastebuds and preference for a mug rather than a cup.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
Teaspoon of instant. Teaspoon of sugar. Hot water. Milk. Drink when sufficiently cool.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 07:58:33 PM »
Teaspoon of instant. Teaspoon of sugar. Hot water. Milk. Drink when sufficiently cool.
You're lucky.
I never enjoyed coffee until I started having espresso/americano but I have to say I still dont like instant.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »
You're lucky.
I never enjoyed coffee until I started having espresso/americano but I have to say I still dont like instant.
Instant coffee is my morning routine. If I go out to a cafe, I drink and enjoy proper coffee. But damned if I'll go to all that effort in the morning.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »
You're lucky.
Instant coffee is my morning routine. If I go out to a cafe, I drink and enjoy proper coffee. But damned if I'll go to all that effort in the morning.
I get you! I would just rather drink water is all!
Its amazing how subjective the sense of taste can be and yet unlike things that please our other senses, there are many who will try to tell you the food you eat or the wine you drink is inferior by some objective metric.

Online teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
I can do Taster's Choice instant if I'm desperate, it's marginally better than vast majority of motel coffee.  Starbucks instant isn't terrible also.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
I always went for the deepest roasts for my French press - I just figured lighter roasts were for people who don't like "real" coffee.

Brother gave me some Ethiopian medium roast for my birthday, and I really love it.  So many other flavors in there that don't get covered up by the burned taste.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
This is my main coffe maker:

I just need to grind down the beans (I source them on my trips to Brazil) with a hand-grinder, then pop it in, boil some water, mix the two, and voila, perfect Bosnian coffee.

I sometimes make South Indian filter kaapi as well, when I feel like it and at work I stick to proper, Italian espressos.

I don't get this thing that Americans call coffee at all...

Offline Knightrunner

• Brand New
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
My preferred method is to stay as far away from it as possible!

Such a foul and nasty substance that covers the morning world with its poisonous stench!

(Ok maybe a little over the top, but I really do have an uncanny aversion to anything coffee.)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »
At home, I use a french press and the strongest bean I can find. Currently, this: https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/coffee/kick-ass-whole-bean

But usually it'll be from the free espresso machine at work, which is barely drinkable. But free.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »
Currently, this: https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/coffee/kick-ass-whole-bean

Thanks for the bean recommendation.  Lots of good reviews on Amazon.  I'll give that a try after I run out of my current supply.

personate-rain