Author Topic: The Movie Quote Game  (Read 13014 times)

Offline JBStrickland

• Well Established
    • http://www.howstuffworks.com
The Movie Quote Game
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:38:40 PM »
New game: Identify movie quotes.  Here are the rules.

1.  You need to at least name the film the quote is from. Some players may demand you also must name the character who says the quote.  Such a demand should appear before the actual quote.

2.  Try to answer quotes without consulting the interwebs.  If you don't know where it's from, let someone else have a go. If a quote goes unanswered for a while (subjective, I know), then feel free to chea . . er . . . consult the all knowing Web.

3.  When you answer correctly, it is your turn to provide a quote.  Obscure quotes are ok, but provide enough words to make it identifiable.  Also, try to avoid quotes that appear in multiple films unless you're willing to concede a correct answer.  Example: "I have a bad feeling about this" could come from any of the six Star Wars films (among other movies).

I'll start.  I'm only looking for the movie title.

"Honey, I never drive faster than I can see."
When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

Offline Mrs B

• Frequent Poster
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »
Oh JB!
Quoting from Big Trouble in Little China is just too easy!

Okay: Name film & actor quoted:

"Not if you tied my tongue to your tail pipe and drove me eighty miles an hour naked across a field of broken glass no, no, no!'
It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him into possession of the truth---John Locke (1632-1704)

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »
EDIT: answer revoked
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Mrs B

• Frequent Poster
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
Quote from: "cosmicvagabond"
HA! I just rented this one!

Actor:  Larry the Cable Guy
Movie:  Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector
Are you responding to my pitch? 'cos if you are you are very very wrong. (Unless they stole the quote from the movie I was quoting from...).
It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him into possession of the truth---John Locke (1632-1704)

Online wastrel

• Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:53:17 PM »
James Woods
"The Hard Way"

Movie & actor please:

"This is a snake skin jacket.  It represents my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom."

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 08:51:05 PM »
Will Farrell in Blades of Glory (I think)

Just the movie: "These are the sands of my life. Accept them and the spider will have no power to harm you. But your own life runs out with the sand."
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:43:13 PM »
Krull?

(If not, something very similar)
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 11:08:13 PM »
You got it! I still remember seeing it in the theater when it first came out. I was with my brother, and we actually saw it twice. We snuck back in after the first showing.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:43:08 PM »
Awwww I got so many quotes but now that Gilnei "conveniently" forgot to quote another film I have to wait!!!! My life is running out here!
My Read Books List for 2008

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
Mark Twain

Online wastrel

• Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:13:56 AM »
Quote from: "chionactis"
Will Farrell in Blades of Glory (I think)

Just the movie: "These are the sands of my life. Accept them and the spider will have no power to harm you. But your own life runs out with the sand."

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

WRONG

Offline chionactis

• Frequent Poster
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:29:15 AM »
Oh, man. Well, Lapalida, now you can get wastrel's and then post one of your own.

Offline JBStrickland

• Well Established
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:30:59 AM »
Heck, let me have a shot at it.

"Wild at Heart."  Nicolas Cage.  Did I get it right?  I'll post my quote if I get confirmation of a correct answer.
When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

Online wastrel

• Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 09:16:40 AM »
Quote from: "JBStrickland"
Heck, let me have a shot at it.

"Wild at Heart."  Nicolas Cage.  Did I get it right?  I'll post my quote if I get confirmation of a correct answer.

Correct sir.

Offline JBStrickland

• Well Established
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
I'm gonna violate one of my own rules, since this line appears in at least two films.  However, I'll accept either one as the correct answer, because that's the kind of guy I am.  

Movie title AND character name (same character name for both films), if you please.

We are bringing you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimony of the miserable souls who survived this terrifying ordeal.

Offline JBStrickland

• Well Established
The Movie Quote Game
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 10:21:12 PM »
Wow.  I guess it was a bit too obscure, even though it's in two different films. I'll let it go one more day, then I'll reveal the answer and go for something a little less difficult.

personate-rain
personate-rain