Poll

Pulp Fiction or House M.D.?

Pulp Fiction
11 (52.4%)
House M.D.
10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 04, 2007, 12:45:22 PM

Author Topic: Pulp Fiction or House M.D.?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:45:22 PM »
Which theme do you prefer for the Mafia that Sabbie and I (or one of us) intend to run very soon?

Pulp Fiction is among the best movies ever made, while House can be considered among the best television series ever made.

Offline JBStrickland

• Well Established
    • http://www.howstuffworks.com
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »
I take issue with both of your statements, and I'm a fan of both properties. ;)

Pulp Fiction is a bit too hip for its own good, but is a great film.  House showcases Hugh Laurie's fantastic talent and charisma, but essentially is a series of the exact same episode over and over again.

For those who haven't seen House and want a quick summary of every show, ever:

Patient comes in to hospital.
House grouchily snipes at his team, his boss, and his best friend, but not the patient . .  because he hasn't met the patient yet.
Someone tells House what the patient has.  House questions his team about possible causes.  House disregards his team, comes up with a theory.
Theory is disproved through multiple tests.  Previous step is repeated at least once.
House snipes at his team some more. One (or more) quits and/or tries to sleep with him.
House finally meets with patient. Determines patient and/or patient's family is a big fat liar.
House is in the middle of insulting someone when he gets a gleam in his eye, as the last amazingly clever insult he said is directly relevant to the patient case.
House sweeps into patient's room, announces what the real problem is, and leaves.  Flip a coin -- Heads its a problem no one considered before, tails it is House's original diagnosis finally proven to be true.
House has an emotionally significant moment at the end of the episode. Credits roll.

Keep in mind I LIKE this show.
When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

Offline roger

• Well Established
  • Please keep my karma balanced!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:24:29 PM »
JB, this is great.  I expect to see the page "How House Works:" up in a few days.

Quote from: "JBStrickland"

House grouchily snipes at his team, his boss, and his best friend, but not the patient . .  because he hasn't met the patient yet.
Someone tells House what the patient has.  House questions his team about possible causes.  House disregards his team, comes up with a theory.
Theory is disproved through multiple tests.  Previous step is repeated at least once.
House snipes at his team some more. One (or more) quits and/or tries to sleep with him.
House finally meets with patient. Determines patient and/or patient's family is a big fat liar.
House is in the middle of insulting someone when he gets a gleam in his eye, as the last amazingly clever insult he said is directly relevant to the patient case.
House sweeps into patient's room, announces what the real problem is, and leaves.  Flip a coin -- Heads its a problem no one considered before, tails it is House's original diagnosis finally proven to be true.
House has an emotionally significant moment at the end of the episode. Credits roll.

the Euler identity, the coolest equation ever.

My 2008 booklist

Offline B-Man13

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »
Quote from: "JBStrickland"
I take issue with both of your statements, and I'm a fan of both properties. ;)

Pulp Fiction is a bit too hip for its own good, but is a great film.  House showcases Hugh Laurie's fantastic talent and charisma, but essentially is a series of the exact same episode over and over again.

For those who haven't seen House and want a quick summary of every show, ever:

I trying to think of an episode that didn't follow this format, and I can't think of any.  Now I'm going to take note of this every time I watch an episode.  Thanks for ruining the show...asshole!
quot;Dawkins knew that logic and reason were the way of the future.  But it wasn't until he met his beautiful wife (Mrs. Garrison) that he learned using logic and reason isn't enough. You have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you." - Shvek

Offline B-Man13

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »
I'm going to go with Pulp Fiction, and there better be a gimp in the game.
quot;Dawkins knew that logic and reason were the way of the future.  But it wasn't until he met his beautiful wife (Mrs. Garrison) that he learned using logic and reason isn't enough. You have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you." - Shvek

Offline JBStrickland

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »
Quote from: "B-Man13"

I trying to think of an episode that didn't follow this format, and I can't think of any.  Now I'm going to take note of this every time I watch an episode.  Thanks for ruining the show...asshole!

Glad to be of service!

Ok, let's be fair -- I left out the Subplot sidebar. In some (but not all) episodes, a subplot weaves its way in and out of the story, usually taking up an arc of three to nine episodes. For instance, when that giant dude became the head of the hospital and tried to muscle in on House, or when the asshole cop tried to muscle in on House, or when the token black sidekick decided he was tired of House muscling in on him.

Also, once in a while the patient dies.  So there.  There are some variations that make my description more or less moot.

But yeah, 95% of the time, it follows the formula I described above.
When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:53:09 PM »
On House...

Can anyone who has seen multiple episodes of this show really not have noticed that it is always the same story? Seriously?  :shock:

It is so obvious. To me, the show is so great exactly because the same story over and over again is still fun to watch. I agree that it is Hugh Laurie who makes House what it is. He does a fantastic job.

JBStricklands summary is correct, that's pretty much it.

Some episodes are different though, such as the one with the four stories (starring Carmen Electra) and the one in which Chase killed a patient and the  episode was a review of that event.

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »
such as the one with the four stories (starring Carmen Electra)

Awesome episode by the way 8)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »
Yes, one of the better episodes definitely.

Best House quote ever:

Setting: House has a hallucinating nun for a patient.
Other nun: Sister Augustine believes in things that aren't there.
House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 03:46:46 PM »
I voted for Pulp Fiction because I can't figure out who the scum would be in House.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
Quote from: "funda62"
I voted for Pulp Fiction because I can't figure out who the scum would be in House.

We'll think about that :P

Offline wastrel

• Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 06:05:03 PM »
As much as I'm intrigued by the House idea, Pulp Fiction is too good.

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »
Quote from: "Apeiron"
Yes, one of the better episodes definitely.

Best House quote ever:

Setting: House has a hallucinating nun for a patient.
Other nun: Sister Augustine believes in things that aren't there.
House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

Can I steal that for my sig?
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »
Ask Hugh Laurie  :P

Sabbie and I will be gone for the weekend, so we might prepare an entire Mafia this weekend already and start it next week if that seems to be alright with everyone.

We are ourselves leaning towards House to be honest.

Offline JBStrickland

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 07:49:24 AM »
House could be fun; I just picked Pulp Fiction because I felt the diverse characters could create some fun roles/powers.  

I'll also be gone for most of the weekend, as I am celebrating my 10th anniversary with my wife.  5 happy years!

personate-rain