Author Topic: SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc  (Read 52093 times)

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »
There are now SGU fans teams for various distributed computing projects. 

distributed computing is a method of computer processing in which different parts of a program, or different portions of data, are processing simultaneously on two or more computers that are communicating with each other over a network, or through the internet. 

By downloading and installing project software, you can donate your idle processor time to a worthy scientific goal.  Your computer will periodically (usually every few days or so) download a chunk of data, work on it when  it's not doing anything else, then return the results and download a new chunk.  This all happens automatically, in the background. 

By joining a team, the data your computer processes is credited both to you as an individual, and to the team as a whole.  Download the software, join the team, and help publicize the SGU, as well as making a real contribution to scientific research.  I suggest you sign up using your SGU forums name (or something like yournameFromSGU if the name is already taken) so we can tell who's who.  But hey, that's up to you.

The two most widely known distributed computing projects are Folding@home and Seti@home.

folding@home models proteins - biologies workhorses - to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases.  The project has and continues to produce many results and published, peer reviewed papers.

To join up, download the client software here.
Once installed, enter the configuration page and enter your name and the team number 101561.
The team homepage is here.  You won't show up on it until your first work unit is finished and returned.
The folding@home FAQ is here.

Folding@home can also be run (at about 10X the speed of a PC, it turns out) on the PS3 gaming console.  Check out the  folding@home PS3 FAQ.  Thanks for the info, bernse!

Jim mentioned that there's a Facebook application you can add to publicize the project and show your stats. 

seti@home analyzes radio telescope data for signs of signals sent by intelligent life.  It hasn't found any yet, but if it ever does, it'll be one of the biggest discoveries of all time.  Seti@home is a part of BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing).  When you download the BOINC software, you can choose to have your computer process data for seti@home or one (or more) of many other projects.  Once you join the SGU team at BOINC, work units you do for seti@home or any other BOINC project will be credited to the team.

Download the software here.
The seti@home team page is here.
Detailed instruction for how to join the SGU BOINC team will be added here shortly.
Check out the "about seti@home" page.

Can you run both folding@home and seti@home at the same time?  Yes.  Read about it here.

Able-X has added teams for the following projects:

Einstein@Home: This project searches for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors. Einstein@Home is a World Year of Physics 2005 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations.
Project homepage.
Team Page.

LHC@HOME:This project runs simulations of particles traveling in CERN's new accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider
Project Homepage.
Team Page.

Rosetta@home: This project works to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. 
Project homepage.
SGU Team Page.

Climateprediction.net  The aim of climateprediction.net is to investigate the approximations that have to be made in state-of-the-art climate models.  Doing so will allow more accurate modeling of future climate change.
Project homepage.
Team page. 

The World Computing Grid

Project Home Page

Team page

The World Computing Grid is the home for these projects:

The Clean Energy Project
Nutritious Rice for the World
Help Conquer Cancer
Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 Project
FightAIDS@Home Project

The WCG homepage (with links to info about the individual projects) is here.  Once you download the WCG software, you can choose which projects you wish to support.

If you know of another distributed computing project and feel like forming a team, go for it, and post the info here!
If anything in the above information is unclear, or you spot any errors, please point them out, and I'll edit in the required changes.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:52:37 PM by stickman »
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »
I've thought about doing that, I built a high end gaming PC that many days sees no action. I've just been nervous about dedicating a CPU to outsiders(in terms of my network). But they are great causes and want to contribute, I will look into it.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
I have had the SETI application run for years, even on several computers and even while doing other stuff on the computer at the same time. Then came torrents. My computer is never idle nowadays, and it already gets pretty hot (laptop) from running all the stuff I use most of the time nowadays.

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:02:55 PM »
Quote from: "Misfit of joy"
I've thought about doing that, I built a high end gaming PC that many days sees no action. I've just been nervous about dedicating a CPU to outsiders(in terms of my network). But they are great causes and want to contribute, I will look into it.

That's great to hear.  The folding@home client is actually pretty secure because it's dumb and doesn't interpret javascript or activeX like a browser. All it does is initiate outgoing HTTP (port 80) connections to Stanford's web server.  There's no need to open ports or anything like that.
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
I win Folding@Home.  First unit is complete.
#notarealskeptic

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:31:37 PM »
Quote from: "Belgarath"
I win Folding@Home.  First unit is complete.

I noticed that, you fargin bastage!  Color me jealous!  Mine isn't due to finish 'till Sunday morning.
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline 2112

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:48:31 PM »
I'll join the protein folding one as soon as I get back to Minneapolis.
Science probes, it does not prove.
-Gregory Bateson

My Blog

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »
I'm running the SMP Core.  The second work unit seems to be taking MUCH longer to run.
#notarealskeptic

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
  • Nobody is prepared for parenthood.
    • Secular Fatherhood
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:30:11 AM »
Okay, here's what I did on the SETI@home one.  See if this works for you.  I joined another team, then quit it.  As soon as I did that, it started giving me the option to join the SGU one.

Somebody give it a try and see if it works.  If not, I'm at a loss.  I've checked a few of the boards and haven't seen anything that would indicate I've set up the administration wrong.

Here is a link to a set of teams including the SGU one.  Join one of the others for a sec and then quit.  Then see if the SGU one gives you a join option.  Otherwise, I don't know what to do.
Returning to the net after a two year absence.  Newly wed, new baby, new job, new blog.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
Cool, you got this into a sticky. I set up the seti one last night but don't think its on the SGU.  I will double check it when I get home from work. I set it up quickly and did't look at all the options. But as of 4AM it was crunching mad number for seti. Sweet, I can now brag to the ladies that I built a machine that SETI uses to solve problems.  When they find life all credit goes to me! J/k

Offline kb

• Well Established
  • Omne ignotum pro magnifico est
    • This is not a blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
Quote from: "stickman"
That seems to be a BOINC-wide team and not a Seti@home specific team.

Here's some BOINC projects I've been running after getting tired of Seti (not so much fun too run a 12h+ wu and then get no credit).
Rosetta@home
Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's (See our Disease Related Research for more information).

Einstein@home
Einstein@Home is a program that uses your computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors. Einstein@Home is a World Year of Physics 2005 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations.

Cosmology@home
The goal of Cosmology@Home is to search for the model that best describes our Universe and to find the range of models that agree with the available astronomical and particle physics data. In order to achieve this goal, participants in Cosmology@Home (i.e. you!) will compute the observable predictions of millions of theoretical models with different parameter combinations. We will use the results of your computations to compare all the available data with these models. In addition, the results from Cosmology@Home can help design future cosmological observations and experiments, and prepare for the analysis of future data sets, e.g. from the Planck spacecraft.

Each work package simulates a Universe with a particular geometry, particle content, and "physics of the beginning." It produces predictions of the observable properties of the Universe which we can then compare to:

1) the fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background (observed from space by the WMAP and soon the Planck spacecraft, as well as from ground based and balloon based experiments),
2) the large scale distribution of galaxies and clusters of galaxies,
3) measurements of the current expansion speed of the Universe by the Hubble space telescope,
4) the acceleration of the Universe as measured by observations of supernova explosions,
5) observations of primordial element abundances in distant gas clumps, and
6) gravitational lensing data, when it becomes available.
"And I'm also one of these people. I don't really care about being right you know I just care about success." - Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
Quote from: "kb"
That seems to be a BOINC-wide team and not a Seti@home specific team.

Having a BOINC wide team certainly seems to make more sense than just a seti team.  Lots of cool projects out there!

Offline kb

• Well Established
  • Omne ignotum pro magnifico est
    • This is not a blog
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
Having a BOINC wide team certainly seems to make more sense than just a seti team.  Lots of cool projects out there!

Just noticed that I skipped the sentence "Once you join the SGU team at BOINC, work units you do for seti@home or any other BOINC project will be credited to the team." when reading the first post.
"And I'm also one of these people. I don't really care about being right you know I just care about success." - Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »
Hmm... I followed the folding@home instructions and it says its running. Although there isn't any cute animation to reassure me. I guess I'll find out soon enough when my work unit completes. (how long does that usually take? Ballpark figure)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »
Quote from: "SnarlPatrick"
Hmm... I followed the folding@home instructions and it says its running. Although there isn't any cute animation to reassure me. I guess I'll find out soon enough when my work unit completes. (how long does that usually take? Ballpark figure)

Which client did you download?  There are a couple and some don't display graphics.
#notarealskeptic

personate-rain