Author Topic: SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc  (Read 25248 times)

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Stopped Going Outside
    • SKSP Clothing Etc
SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »
Mac OS X (Intel) SMP client Installer    6.00 beta1.

There's also a console version. Whatever that means.

There's a separate "viewer" program but it seems really buggy. Shouldn't effect the actual data processing and upload though. I guess I'll just wait and see.

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »
I'm running the Windows SMP client and it doesn't display anything except when I open a console (then it just shows a percentage)

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
Quote from: "SnarlPatrick"
Hmm... I followed the folding@home instructions and it says its running. Although there isn't any cute animation to reassure me. I guess I'll find out soon enough when my work unit completes. (how long does that usually take? Ballpark figure)

Couple o' three days or so.  If you put your cursor over the icon in your task bar, it should show you your progress.
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
  • Nobody is prepared for parenthood.
    • Secular Fatherhood
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 02:26:17 AM »
Looks like my first certificate came up on folding while I was at work.  Yay me.  It does look like running both at once is slowing me down in the score though.  I may drop the SETI and just do the folding.  It seems like a more worthy cause.
Returning to the net after a two year absence.  Newly wed, new baby, new job, new blog.

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 02:48:45 AM »
Yay! I'm on the board now too  :D

It kind of sucks because I had already accumulated 122,934 points on my old team but I'd rather be folding among friends  :wink:
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Able-X

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 03:27:05 AM »
I made sure I was removed from all teams from various boinc projects, and can't get a "join now" to show up on any of the boinc wide stuff, but per project i can join no problem.

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
    • Secular Fatherhood
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 03:29:35 AM »
Quote from: "Able-X"
I made sure I was removed from all teams from various boinc projects, and can't get a "join now" to show up on any of the boinc wide stuff, but per project i can join no problem.
Then do me a favor and set up a SETI@Home project team and I'll delete the BOIN-wide one.
Returning to the net after a two year absence.  Newly wed, new baby, new job, new blog.

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 06:51:03 AM »
Quote from: "Calvyn"
Then do me a favor and set up a SETI@Home project team and I'll delete the BOIN-wide one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a BOINC team than just the seti one?  It would be nice to have all those projects under one team umbrella.

EDIT:  OK, I found this, which indicates that teams are independent on each BOINC project.  All a BOINC wide team does is create a team for each project, if that project supports it.  
That kinda sucks, but what can you do?
I'm not entirely sure this is the final word on the matter.  BOINCs help and documentation seems to be all over the place.  

I'm going to go ahead and create a SETI team.

ANOTHER EDIT:

D'oh!

OK, now that I've had my morning coffee, things are looking a little clearer.
I had gone ahead and created a seti@home team, but I've now deleted it.  After giving kb the boot, as he'd just joined.  Sorry, kb!

As far as i can make out, a BOINC wide team IS an umbrella team for all BOINC projects.  Once a BOINC wide team is established, each project server, eventually, and if its set up for it, imports the BOINC team list and creates a project specific team with exactly the same name and information.  So, Calvyn, you can wait for seti@home to update and create the team, or you can go ahead and create the team yourself, using EXACTLY the same name and email address.  If anyone else sets up a SETI team, it won't count towards the BOINC team totals.
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
    • Secular Fatherhood
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »
I'll do it after work tonight.

And lol, who is going by the name cdesign_proponentsists on the folding one?

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
Quote from: "Calvyn"
I'll do it after work tonight.

And lol, who is going by the name cdesign_proponentsists on the folding one?

I wondered the same thing!  Ah well, the more the merrier!

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »
Booo.  How long does it take to update work units?  I've done two now and it's not updated.

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
Quote from: "Belgarath"
Booo.  How long does it take to update work units?  I've done two now and it's not updated.

Patience, my friend.   :twisted:   It takes a few hours for results to show up, but it appears you've just moved into the lead. :evil:
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 08:12:45 PM »
Quote from: "leonet"
Quote from: "Belgarath"

Patience, my friend.   :twisted:   It takes a few hours for results to show up, but it appears you've just moved into the lead. :evil:

LOL, naw that wasn't the issue, it was more of an 'omg I'm not contributing to the team!' reaction.

Able-X

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »
so, anyone figure out how to make a Boinc team work yet?

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
    • Secular Fatherhood
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 01:53:09 AM »
so, anyone figure out how to make a Boinc team work yet?
Try this.

I've set up a Seti@home team.

personate-rain