Author Topic: SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc  (Read 48243 times)

Offline Jim

• Seasoned Contributor
SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 06:52:14 AM »
I'm in on the folding project, it works pretty smoothly on windows and get a cool molecule folding screen saver.
I find the easiest way to get feedback is to right click on the litle icon in the system tray, this seems much better feedback than the website.
Jim

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 07:09:47 AM »
ALRIGHT! First work unit complete! 1760 points. (Whatever that indicates) YES! I RULE! BIOLOGY IS MINE!
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
  • Nobody is prepared for parenthood.
    • Secular Fatherhood
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 07:39:52 AM »
Looks like the SETI@Home team is working now too.  We've got three members, so it looks like people can join.
Returning to the net after a two year absence.  Newly wed, new baby, new job, new blog.

Offline kb

• Well Established
  • Omne ignotum pro magnifico est
    • This is not a blog
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »
If you're running SETI@home you can download Crunch3r's CPU optimized apps here, there's also BOINC clients with added features like CPU Affinity. By running optimized apps you should be able to get higher benchmark results and therefore more credits.
"And I'm also one of these people. I don't really care about being right you know I just care about success." - Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds

Able-X

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »
cool, just joined.  The other app I consistently run is Einstein@Home, so I should probably setup a team for that too

Able-X

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
Einstein@Home team:

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/team_display.php?teamid=8911

And the other program I run, to help CERN: LHA@HOME

http://lhcathome.cern.ch/lhcathome/create_account_form.php?teamid=3493

Just added one for Rosetta@Home too, I find BoincStats actually makes this a bit easier.  Just search for "Skeptic" and you'll find the teams.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »
cool, I'm in the SGU team on bionic. I was looking though some of the other teams. Right now the church of satan is kicking our ass.  But I was impressed that there are about 10,000 teams on it.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip23
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
Quote from: "stickman"
Quote from: "Belgarath"
I win Folding@Home.  First unit is complete.

I noticed that, you fargin bastage!

OK, I'm not so magnanimous as to give up CPU cycles to this silliness; but I do love a Johnny Dangerously reference. Fargin iceholes!

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 11:16:04 PM »
Quote from: "skidoo"
OK, I'm not so magnanimous as to give up CPU cycles to this silliness; but I do love a Johnny Dangerously reference. Fargin iceholes!

Okay, so I'm in bioinformatics and I'm biased, but I don't think this stuff is silliness.  There are actually lots of biological questions that are difficult or impossible to study in "reality" and simulation is an important tool.

For a more detailed explanation of why simulation is important, this biotech podcast has an interview with some folding@home researchers.
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »

Newsflash!  Stop the presses!  Skidoo and I disagree on something!  :P  
In other news, hell continues to be hot and John Edward is still a douche!

I could see how seti could, from a certain perspective, be considered silly (though i wouldn't agree), but folding@home is good science that couldn't be carried out any other way.
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip23
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 12:36:08 AM »
Quote from: "stickman"

Newsflash!  Stop the presses!  Skidoo and I disagree on something!  :P  
In other news, hell continues to be hot and John Edward is still a douche!

I could see how seti could, from a certain perspective, be considered silly (though i wouldn't agree), but folding@home is good science that couldn't be carried out any other way.

OK, fine: It's not exactly silly. But I do love a Johnny Dangerously reference.

*And stay away from my CPUs, you bunch of moochers!

Offline Jim

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »
Cool I have the podcast to listen to tonight on the way home, I see our team is jumping up the rankings, seeing as I'm out a lot of the weekend, I've cranked the thing up to max :-)
Jim

Offline bernse

• Off to a Start
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
Just a reminder to some people who may not be aware of it, but the PS3 has a Folding@Home client, and they are a friggen workhorse.

If you are a lucky PS3 owner, maybe fire it up now and then. :)

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »
Quote from: "bernse"
Just a reminder to some people who may not be aware of it, but the PS3 has a Folding@Home client, and they are a friggen workhorse.

No freakin' way!  How cool is that?

Check out the folding@home PS3 FAQ.  
Some excerpts:

Now in 2006, we are looking forward to another major advance in capabilities. This advance utilizes the new Cell processor in Sony’s PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) to achieve performance previously only possible on supercomputers. With this new technology (as well as new advances with GPUs), we will likely be able to attain performance on the 20 gigaflop scale per computer.

It seems that the PS3 is more than 10X powerful as an average PC.

How do I get a copy of Folding@home for the PS3?
If you have PS3 system version 1.6 or later, you will see a Folding@Home icon in the Network column of the XMB (PS3 menu). Just click on the icon and that's it. If you don't have 1.6 or later, please perform a system upgrade.

Can I change the donator name and team number?
Press triangle while in the visual client to change your username and team number.

as a reminder, the SGU team number is 101561
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »
Quote from: "bernse"

Yeah... but... PS3's suck...  :P
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

personate-rain