Author Topic: Kevin Trudeau  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Kevin Trudeau
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:28:11 AM »
I was asked to help find someone who has been personally victimized by Kevin Trudeau. If anyone out this is or knows someone who ever bought any of his crap, let me know.

Thanks
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Helium Flash

• Off to a Start
Re: Kevin Trudeau
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »
SGU should defo get an interview with Brian Cox.  I can't tell you how many people at work have said to me (RE Wonders of the Solar System)...."wow!  he actually makes it sound interesting!"

And obviously I have got angry and said "it was already frikkin interesting!  He's just telling it like it is!!"

But definitely a good guy bringing the best kind of science (Astronomy) to the masses.
"Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged." - Captain Picard

Offline glenfallswv

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »
Me almost maybe.  My parents taste the koolaid from time to time.  Couple of years back they got hold of one of his books and stopped taking all their meds.  When they proudly brought this up as something for me to try I hesitantly mentioned that he'd been gagged for fraud several times by various federal agencies.  My mother immediately began to defend him with that irrefutable closed-loop conspiracy logic.  I felt utterly helpless and terrified.  What do you do?  Don't know why but at least they got back to taking BP meds and they haven't mentioned him in a while.  Don't want to bring it up since Ma doesn't like to agree with me very often and I'd hate to drive her back to the bosom of Mr Trudeau just for her sheer cussedness.  It was a bad scare for me.  If either of them had stroked out, I don't know what I'd've done.

Offline The Tea Guru

• Off to a Start
  • Lars- the tea guy
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
Hilarious:

Customer comes into my tea shop and starts talking about buying some camomile for a friend who's on a "cleanse".
I innocently ask: What cleanse?
She says "you ever heard of Kevin Trudeau?"
Answer: Oh you mean the con artist?! Yeah, he's been charged with fraud and various other things!
And I rail off on him, suggesting she do some research because her friend might actually be in danger investing her trust in him.
It's great fun discussing the scientific method with people who need science to be an enemy so that they can continue their irrational beliefs.
You might catch a light of clarity for about two seconds before they realize they might have to admit that their whole ideology is wrong.

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:48:59 PM »
Hilarious:

Customer comes into my tea shop and starts talking about buying some camomile for a friend who's on a "cleanse".
I innocently ask: What cleanse?
She says "you ever heard of Kevin Trudeau?"
Answer: Oh you mean the con artist?! Yeah, he's been charged with fraud and various other things!
And I rail off on him, suggesting she do some research because her friend might actually be in danger investing her trust in him.
Did you lose a customer?  Is there a choco shop next to your tea shop?

Offline The Tea Guru

• Off to a Start
  • Lars- the tea guy
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:00:50 PM »
I don't think I lost a customer. I've got a way of putting things into words so that someone's idea can be fully challenged but the person themselves not insulted.
Though it's possible I could have made a devoted follower if I humored her and sold her a diet plan.
A chocolate shop? No, there's a gelato place two doors down. It's in Calgary.
It's great fun discussing the scientific method with people who need science to be an enemy so that they can continue their irrational beliefs.
You might catch a light of clarity for about two seconds before they realize they might have to admit that their whole ideology is wrong.

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
Hmmm.... gelato. And yay Calgary!

You mentioned that story at Skeptics in the Pub a month ago, and I think that's a great form of grass roots one on one skepticism. Your profession in an industry like tea is loaded with opportunities for that.

Offline lunarsyzygy

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
I did steer a co worker away from his books.

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:37:11 AM »
He sold all his books (Natural Cures) to that other guy, but now I can't remember his name.

I don't see him on TV anymore now either.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline Dark Kantian

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Anti-Christian phenomenon
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
I have to check back but my parents did buy a very suspicious look (and my that I mean elaborately large hard cover) book of "cures" but most of the stuff there was for things that were self-limiting and relatively mild... I have to check the author though.

Coincidently, I keep hearing that Trudeau is banned from making infomercials about his garbage but I keep seeing him on TV: particularly the history channel. Is this some a re-run loophole or just shoddy oversight the Canadian broadcasting standards body? A few weeks ago  saw natural cures infomercial on a saturday  morning.

Also, is it just me or does he actually look like a scumbag? Seriously, the first time I saw him on TV some years ago, which was well before I had a functioning BS detector, he just looked so sleazy I squirmed a little in my seat.
"Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willnae be fooled again!" - The Wee Free Men