Author Topic: Behind the scenes of an SGU recording  (Read 34957 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rebecca

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
Quote from: "mickal555"
I can't believe Steve said "..."


 :D


Heh, I should clarify that some of these are things we type out in chat and some are things we say off the record. The above is the latter, but trust me when I say that Steve's silences are palpable. Hence, the "..."!
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline rebecca

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 09:42:35 AM »
Quote from: "Mr. K Dilkington"
Any chance of giving us a quick synopsis of what equipment you guys are using to record? Unless you've already done that..

Could be interesting for us audio geeks.


Sure, maybe later.
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline mickal777

  • New mod given text thing
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • *******
  • Posts: 4244
    • Trips to Japan!
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
Quote from: "rebecca"
Quote from: "mickal555"
I can't believe Steve said "..."


 :D


Heh, I should clarify that some of these are things we type out in chat and some are things we say off the record. The above is the latter, but trust me when I say that Steve's silences are palpable. Hence, the "..."!


That is awesome

Offline rebecca

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »
Okay, since Steve is pretty much covering this interview with Steve Barrett...

Quote from: "Mr. K Dilkington"
Any chance of giving us a quick synopsis of what equipment you guys are using to record? Unless you've already done that..

Could be interesting for us audio geeks.


Mixer: Xenyx802
Headset Mic: Sennheiser (I can't tell the model because it's on my head at the moment)
Recording software: Audacity
Conferencing: Skype*
Computer: I use a MacBook running OS 10.4, the guys all use (desktop I think) PCs

*I've stopped adding people I don't know on Skype as it just got to be too much, sorry all .  . .
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline rebecca

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 08:56:15 PM »
STEVE: Everybody start recording, ready? 4...3....2...1...rec--
ME: SKEPTIC TEAM ACTIVATE!
JAY: Form of: JAMES RANDI!
EVAN: (does an impression of someone that always makes me lol but I'm not allowed to talk about)
STEVE: ...
THE REST OF US: (giggle fit)
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Online wastrel

  • Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • *****
  • Posts: 11128
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 09:13:35 PM »
Quote from: "rebecca"
EVAN: (does an impression of someone that always makes me lol but I'm not allowed to talk about)


Tease.

Offline rebecca

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »
Quote from: "wastrel"
Quote from: "rebecca"
EVAN: (does an impression of someone that always makes me lol but I'm not allowed to talk about)


Tease.


Don't blame me! Steve's the one who keeps cutting the impression from the show.


One more:

(During a discussion on cosmetics)

JAY: Then guys, why am I allergic to some soap but not others?
ME: Because of inactive ingredients, like a fragrance or a dye.
STEVE: Yeah, that's basically all there is to it, inactive ingredients.
JAY: Oh. Well you know I'm allergic to those spermicides . . .
STEVE: Really?
JAY: Yeah Steve, you remember. That time you helped me . . .
ME: Oh Jesus, that's sick
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline skidoo

  • Stopped Going Outside
  • *******
  • Posts: 5878
    • Trip23
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »
Quote from: "rebecca"
Quote from: "wastrel"
Quote from: "rebecca"
EVAN: (does an impression of someone that always makes me lol but I'm not allowed to talk about)

Tease.

Don't blame me! Steve's the one who keeps cutting the impression from the show.


One more:

(During a discussion on cosmetics)

JAY: Then guys, why am I allergic to some soap but not others?
ME: Because of inactive ingredients, like a fragrance or a dye.
STEVE: Yeah, that's basically all there is to it, inactive ingredients.
JAY: Oh. Well you know I'm allergic to those spermicides . . .
STEVE: Really?
JAY: Yeah Steve, you remember. That time you helped me . . .
ME: Oh Jesus, that's sick

Two guys don't need spermicide. And Steve calls himself a doctor. :roll:

Offline jeffthefish

  • Off to a Start
  • *
  • Posts: 52
    • http://www.jeffthefish.com
Re: Whaa?
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »
Quote from: "funda62"
Quote from: "rebecca"
Quote from: "ESO 510-G13"
What the hell is AFK?  I hate the interweb/texting acronym language.  The only one that makes sense to me is WTF.


The guys actually say "AFK." Like, out loud. When they need to dash away for a moment. AFK. I scoff every time.


Oh my they are nerds!  That is as bad as saying LOL instead of actually laughing.


I once wrote "LOL" on a napkin b/c someone made a joke while I was eating.
Lord Byron!

Offline Mr. K Dilkington

  • Off to a Start
  • *
  • Posts: 52
    • MySpace
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2008, 05:52:06 AM »
Haha this is def my favourite thread.

Offline Zam

  • Keeps Priorities Straight
  • ***
  • Posts: 449
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »
Quote from: "rebecca"
STEVE: So I found this app called "Right Click," and...
JAY: Steve you didn't know how to right click?
ME: Seriously man what's wrong with you?
JAY: How could you not know how to do that, Steve?
ME: You needed to download an app for that?
STEVE: . . .


Steve has a Mac?

Offline rebecca

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »
(Tonight [Wednesday], just after recording)

Steve (sarcastically): Jay, by the way, I loved your blog post today, that was really great.
Jay: What? It's Tuesday. OH SHIT.


(If you don't get it: We each post to the SGUBlog on a fixed schedule, one per day. Jay forgets every week. We always record SGU on Wednesday. It is impossible to think that Wednesday is Tuesday. I love Jay.)
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline LovableRascal

  • Not Enough Spare Time
  • **
  • Posts: 106
    • http://www.lovablerascal.com
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »
I thought the peek behind the scenes was funny. Thanks!

Offline Evan

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Off to a Start
  • *****
  • Posts: 84
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »
My impersonation that makes Rebecca LOL must remain a secret for now.  However, I'll give you all a hint:  the impression has already been snuck in to one of the shows.

As far as "geek-speak" goes, us fellas are slowly softening Rebecca up to acceptance, and more importantly, appreciation of the brevity that is "on-line-game-chat." (AFK, BRB, BIO, GFY, and so forth)

The next step in our evil ...  I mean our benevolent plans is to get Rebecca to buy a MMP game and join us in the fantasy realm of her choice:  WOW, COH, COV, LOTRO, or maybe even AOC!

The first one to correctly identify all the games by their initials wins a voucher for unlimited kisses from The Skepchick Kissing Booth that is being erected at TAM6!  Or a coupon to Denny's for a grand slam breakfast (with bacon) - your choice!

 :D
"The masses are asses." - Perry DeAngelis

Offline Belgarath

  • Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • *********
  • Posts: 8118
Behind the scenes of an SGU recording
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2008, 04:12:29 PM »
Quote from: "Evan"
My impersonation that makes Rebecca LOL must remain a secret for now.  However, I'll give you all a hint:  the impression has already been snuck in to one of the shows.

As far as "geek-speak" goes, us fellas are slowly softening Rebecca up to acceptance, and more importantly, appreciation of the brevity that is "on-line-game-chat." (AFK, BRB, BIO, GFY, and so forth)

The next step in our evil ...  I mean our benevolent plans is to get Rebecca to buy a MMP game and join us in the fantasy realm of her choice:  WOW, COH, COV, LOTRO, or maybe even AOC!

The first one to correctly identify all the games by their initials wins a voucher for unlimited kisses from The Skepchick Kissing Booth that is being erected at TAM6!  Or a coupon to Denny's for a grand slam breakfast (with bacon) - your choice!

 :D


World of Warcraft
City of Heroes
City of Villians
Lord of the Rings Online
Age of Chaos

Now what do I win?

 

personate-rain
personate-rain