Author Topic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy audiobook/original radio BBC broadcast  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Vanchi

• Off to a Start
  • Teen skeptic.
I have noticed that a lot of people on these forums (including the rogues) all like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I just recently got into the franchise since no one over here (Denmark) really knows about it. I am currently listening to the original BBC radio broadcast, which many on this forum praise as the best.
I am halfway through and I am really enjoying it, no wonder the series has so many fans! :D

So i just want to post a link where you can download the original broadcast directly, instead of going the torrent way where it can be hard to find seeders.

Here it is:

http://www.sadena.com/BBC-Radio/H2G2/[/size]

The files are split up in a couple of zip files, for easier download get the Firefox plugin called "DownThemAll!" which is a great help in download alot of files easily at once.

The reason I'm posting this in a new topic is that I thought it might be useful to some and I didn't want to bump the old discussions. (That is generally frowned upon on most forums.)

And as question to the fans, am I missing out on anything by listening to the radio shows instead of reading the books?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:43:01 AM by Vanchi »
“The virtues of science are skepticism and independence of thought.”
- Walter Gilbert

Offline willz

• Well Established
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
read the books as well, it good to compare all the differences between each version. Each different medium (radio, book, movie etc.) Is different from all the others.
"Some factual information for you. Have you any idea how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?"
"How much?" said Arthur.
"None at all."

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
The radio shows are the real thing. It's all in the acting, particularly Peter Jones. The BBC tv version benefited from Sandra Dickinson as Trillian.

http://www.comedy.org.uk/images/library/people/180x200/h/hitchhikers_guide_trillian.jpg

The books are a novelisation of the original radio scripts, hence, derivative.

Offline ebbo

• Brand New
If you like HGG you have to like Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul as well. Same author, different setting. I think theyre available in audiobook format as well but ive always preferred reading Douglas Adam's books because you can miss a lot of the jokes if youre not listening carefully. Have fun!

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
Thank you! I'll have a copy of that.

Much appreciated I can tell you.

Offline Vanchi

• Off to a Start
  • Teen skeptic.
The books are a novelisation of the original radio scripts, hence, derivative.
Yeah I knew that but was wondering if I was missing out on bigger plots, more jokes and funny scenes since the books are longer than the episodes and such..

If you like HGG you have to like Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul as well. Same author, different setting. I think theyre available in audiobook format as well but ive always preferred reading Douglas Adam's books because you can miss a lot of the jokes if youre not listening carefully. Have fun!

Thanks for the tip, I will definately check them out!

- Btw, what did you guys think of the movie? :)
“The virtues of science are skepticism and independence of thought.”
- Walter Gilbert

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
The movie was meh.  Had some good points, had some bad points.

Offline willz

• Well Established
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Just finished listening to the radio series, which means after I've listened to the Douglas Adams read audiobook and watched the TV series I have witnessed all forms of the HHGG!
"Some factual information for you. Have you any idea how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?"
"How much?" said Arthur.
"None at all."

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
I listened to the recent BBC radio adaptation of Dick Gently, many years after the actual novel.

Not very good. Cetainly well below standard of original Hitchhiker series.

Hitchhiker greatly declined in quality after Peter Jones (the book) died, he MADE it!

(It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A297920

http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/interviews/peterjones.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:25:37 AM by spiney »

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
Just heard a little biog of Douglas Adams (while gardening), quite interesting ......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fzblz

Clicking on "listen again" will open in BBCiplayer (flashplayer), bt I wd recommend instead clicking the Realplayer link.

Offline JamesTate

• I'm Actually Mr. Wiggles
  • Frequent Poster
  • All things being equal
    • A Skeptics Journey
The radio drama is the first time I heard HGG, and I loved it. We were on a road trip to Western Con that was in Oregon.

I've read the books, and watched the tv movie and I own the new movie itself. The radio drama being my favorite, although the new movie being my second favorite.

The novels, you can really tell that he was growing tired and almost spiteful in writing them with the last two.
"Always a plus when you aren't associated with genocide." - IrishJazz
"Doesn't this sound like a spaceship?" - Lady Cyrtpess
"A dry vagina is a sad vagina." -Pandaioum

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'm a perfectly normal shrine maiden.

They are. Personally, I like listening to Adams read his own material.

And the Salmon of Doubt. And Last Chance to See.

personate-rain