Author Topic: Quack dr. leonard coldwell  (Read 21671 times)

Offline ben_german

• Well Established
  • Inspector Rex
Quack dr. leonard coldwell
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
Hi guys. Does anybody know something
about Dr. Leonard Coldwell ?
He is apparently a quack and seems to promote "alternative cancer cures"
and has an incredible "cure rate" of 92% of his patients....
That sound already quite suspicious. Do you have any information on that
guy ?

D'oh!

Holy shit, I totally killed the doctor. :argh:

Offline Citizen Skeptic

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Vote for Jill Stein.
Re: Quack dr. leonard coldwell
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
You can probably check him out on the site for the state licensing board.
Stay thirsty for knowledge my friends.
--The most interesting man in the world

Offline Jack R.

• Frequent Poster
  • Sci Fi Geek, fencer, free thinker, dog friendly
    • Skeptical Perspectives Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »
Google FTC "false Cures" coldwell.

You'll get several pages of hits, including all the woo you can stomach.
"What do I think of Western Civilization?  I think it would be a very good idea."  -   Mohandes Gandhi

Offline ben_german

• Well Established
  • Inspector Rex
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
Cheers.
D'oh!

Holy shit, I totally killed the doctor. :argh:

Offline phil8192

• Brand New
Re: Quack Dr. Leonard Coldwell
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »
about Dr. Leonard Coldwell?
guy?

It sounds like you've already made up your mind he's a quack, even though you're asking forum members for their opinions.

Leonard Coldwell was a guest on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory on the evening of August 23, 2010.  Most of what he said sounded fairly reasonable, although I questioned why someone with a claimed 92% success rate in curing cancer would be essentially a nobody on the Internet, except for his own site.  There's no Wikipedia entry for him.  About an hour into the show segment he pulled the old hoax of microwave ovens being dangerous and that water that had been boiled in a microwave oven causes plants to die, compared to plants watered with ordinary tap water. ::)  That pretty much clinched it for me, at least.  Microwaves have never, ever been shown to have any more harmful effects on foods than cooking them on a gas or electric range, and the claim that microwaved water kills plants has been disproven in at least one experiment of which I'm aware.  Microwaves are not ionizing radiation, and they have no lasting effect on water, other than heating it up.  Anyone who believes otherwise is engaging in "magical thinking", and no true scientist would do that.

While I'm not ready to declare him a quack, his indiscriminate mixing of possible scientific and medical facts with provable bunk nullifies whatever good he may be doing.  I'll tentatively file him in the same category as Dr. Joseph Mercola.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:14:44 PM by phil8192 »

Offline Citizen Skeptic

• Vote for Jill Stein.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
he'd be f'ing jebus with that record. at best, he's a con artist who preys on dying people. at worst, he's a murderer. imo.
Stay thirsty for knowledge my friends.
--The most interesting man in the world

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »
water that had been boiled in a microwave oven causes plants to die, compared to plants watered with ordinary tap water.

In all fairness to the claim, if you pour the water on the plants before it cools down the heat will probably kill them.

Offline Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:38:31 AM »
about Dr. Leonard Coldwell?
guy?

It sounds like you've already made up your mind he's a quack, even though you're asking forum members for their opinions.

Leonard Coldwell was a guest on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory on the evening of August 23, 2010.  Most of what he said sounded fairly reasonable, although I questioned why someone with a claimed 92% success rate in curing cancer would be essentially a nobody on the Internet, except for his own site.  There's no Wikipedia entry for him.  About an hour into the show segment he pulled the old hoax of microwave ovens being dangerous and that water that had been boiled in a microwave oven causes plants to die, compared to plants watered with ordinary tap water. ::)

It does if you don't let it cool off first.
Proud child of the Enlightenment

I survived the Great Forum Disaster of 2014. Never Forget.

Forget not that I am an ass.

Offline JQisAwesome

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread - but I registered here just to comment on this thread, which I found through a Google search of "Leonard Coldwell." Leonard is engaged in a profession very similar to "Kevin Trudeau," the only man sued by both the FTC, the SEC, and the subject of a lifetime ban on creating TV infomercials about "health products." Leonard and Kevin even worked together in one of their many pyramid schemes with TV informercials and direct marketing. Leonard Coldwell, much like Trudeau, also pitches "alternative, natural cancer cures," utilizing the old chestnut that the pharmaceutical companies are evil baddies out to get you - And only a heroic author, selling his book, is telling you the truth. He suggests natural diets high in fiber and some arcane vitamins (that his company conveniently holds the recipe for) as the only "real cure" for cancer. He claims a 92% success rate in CURING AND REVERSING ALL FORMS OF CANCER. The American Cancer Society does not suggest a rate that high for any modern treatment - chemotherapy, targeted radiation treatment, etc. - nor does any legitimate cancer institute or treatment center. It's obviously bullshit - as we know any peer-reviewed medical journal would jump all over it were there any legitimacy whatsoever.

This guy is a scam artist - but here's the problem: Leonard has done a fantastic job of manipulating Google's search results so that when you search for his name, the first 5 or 6 results are from his own website, blog, and publications. I want this to change. Skeptical Inquirer, the JREF, RichardDawkins.net, or some other skeptic website needs to publish a very well-seen article that Google will cache - so that it shows up in the top search results.  And the title should make it clear right away. Something like, "FRAUD - QUACK - Leonard Coldwell - "CANCER CURE" SCAM" to make it immediately clear that he's full of shit to anyone who Googles his name.

Like I said, Leonard claims a 92% success rate in curing and reversing cancer. I don't have to tell you guys how dangerous it is to tell cancer victims there's an alternative to real medicine like chemotherapy or radiation treatment. These men are, at best, charlatans making a buck. At worse, they are downright murderers for convincing people to abandon real medicine in favor of "veggie diets" and "fiber pills."

Please help me, "Skeptics Guide to the Universe," (And any other skeptic forums) Please, please help spread the word that Leonard is a scam artist and no cancer patient should follow his advice. If you have any other ideas to help shut down this crook, please let me know. Thanks for reading this.

[Edit - minor formatting tweaks. -Beleth]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:12:32 PM by Beleth »

Offline NotNurseRatched

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
As opposed to evidence based medicine he runs an institute called "Instinct based medicine" here's the link - http://instinctbasedmedicine.com/.  He should be Dr. Novella's arch enemy. >:D
"The best thing we can do is go on with our daily routine." - Nurse Ratched

Offline scintillion

• Brand New
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
JQAwesome - Read your note in sguforums with some amusement; it is one of very few references to "Dr." Coldwell that are not generated by "Dr." Coldwell and/or his partner in fraud Kevin Trudeau.  If you search for the two of them together you'll get a lot of hits, but they are all unfortunately generated by their own websites so all of it is gushing with compliments.  They have also anticipated skepticism by deliberating placing references to words like "scam" or "fraud" in their own websites, naturally always referring to the true frauds like MDs and conventional medicine.

Based on the virtually complete absence of independent references to "Dr." Coldwell on the internet, I rather suspect he is a completely fabricated identity.  God knows what his real name is, but his cute little German accent does not match his name.  As you research further, you will discover that he has two "Doctor" degrees (neither of them MD) and four (count them) PhDs.  Hard to imagine why anyone would really want more than one MD or PhD, but he is far more accomplished than the average scientist.  And yet, there is nary a whiff of his research or publications related to all of his extraordinary scholarship in anything but self generated websites.

It is my own private fantasy that his name was carefully chosen to be incredibly uncommon (yet pronounceable) so that it would not generate unwanted references to unrelated individuals.  (Google your own name and see how many hits come up from people who are not you and you'll realize what a nice trick that is.)  That is part of the secret to how the search engines are so saturated with only self generated information about "Dr." Coldwell.  I have not yet been able to find a single (apparently) real testimonial from one of the 30K patients+ "Dr." Coldwell cured of cancer (his success rate is over 90%, and he has a challenge for any MD who can beat his cure rate listed on one of his websites).

I share your frustration.  I've seen a lot of frauds out there over the years, but none as carefully crafted as "Dr." Leonard Coldwell.

(I learned about Dr. Leonard Coldwell from my father, who forwarded me a link to this video full of incredible falsehoods -
  My favorite is his claim that table salt is "1/3 glass, 1/3 sand and 1/3 salt."  He goes on to explain how the ingested glass cuts the inside of arteries, which would otherwise cause the patient to bleed to death, except for the presence of cholesterol, which plugs the holes.  A fifth grader (without a Ph.D) could disprove his bullshit by taking a couple tablespoons of table salt and dropping them into a glass of water.  The pure table salt would dissolve in the water, and any left over glass and sand would settle on the bottom of the glass.  This simple fact apparently eluded "Dr." Coldwell while he was studying for his 4 Ph.Ds and 2 "Doctor" degrees.)

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ed7WmIEJYU&feature=related

"This Video is Private"

I guess he didn't like having such obvious incompetence pointed out.

I can see the appeal of fabricating an entity for the purpose of pimping quackery and fraud. Hire an an actor play the part in exchange for a decent cut. When legal repercussions make the con harder for the actor to carry out, move on to crafting the next entity. That way a single con artist can burn through several pitch men, getting better and better at the con with each iteration. The absurd cure rates being claimed suggest having a disposable pitch man emboldens the people running the con. It would be a bit like a drug kingpin burning through the grunts on the street. Who cares if they guy selling crack on fifth street is busted and sent to jail when he can be replaced?

Of course now I can be accused of suggesting a shadowy conspiracy of con men to defraud cancer patients.

Offline scintillion

• Brand New
Re: Quack dr. leonard coldwell Fraud Fabrication Kevin Trudeau Scumbag
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »
That's amazing.  I viewed that video just last night.  I guess if you're trying to stamp out commentary about your fraud, you must be very vigilant to delete the your most absurd claims as soon as they are exposed.

It reminds me a little of Winston Smith's role in Orwell's 1984.  He worked for the "Ministry of Truth" which was responsible for reviewing previously published newspaper stories and changing or removing them as the "truth" changed.

It's too bad, I really enjoyed that video (so much that I watched it twice!)  I was fascinated to learn in the video that people should be on a vegan diet, and just a few minutes later, learn that cholesterol is necessary for life, and not only does it plug those life threatening arterial holes cut by table salt "glass", but that everyone should have a cholesterol level of "at least 250" and "people with 600 are perfectly healthy".

Of course, "Dr." Leonard Coldwell did not point out that vegans have notoriously low serum cholesterol levels (often 150 or below), so he really needs to clarify that people are forced to choose death by eating animals or "death by a thousand cuts" from that table salt "glass" if you don't have enough cholesterol to plug them arterial holes.

I've been trying to piece together his professional life story from his multiple web sites (he does not publish a chronological CV anywhere that I can find).  However, using only information published by him, he has at least 2 "Doctor" degrees (DNM and NMD) and at least four PhDs, yet he practiced as a "general practitioner for 16 years" prior to devoting himself to curing stress related diseases such as cancer.  He has cured 35000 patients of cancer, with a cure rate of more than 90%.

Assuming that he began his advanced medical and PhD work at age 20, and that each degree took him 3 years to complete (I have never met anyone who completed a PhD or other doctorate in less than 3 years), the 6 degrees would take him 18 years to complete (minimum age 38).  Let's assume for simplicity that he did not actually work professionally with any of these degrees until completing his multiple educations since that merely extends his age to the absurd.  He then spent "16 years in general practice" before devoting himself to curing cancer, which made him 54 when he started his cancer work.   (Somewhere in the process he also served as consultant to numerous fortune 500 companies on business matters, getting rich quick and other schemes according to his website, but let's assume he did that during evenings and weekends since it otherwise adds even more years to his age).

So at age 54 he starts curing 35000 patients of cancer.  It is reasonable to assume from his websites that virtually every patient he treated was cured, so he did not need to waste much time with patients who died of cancer.  We need to understand that cancer is difficult to treat, so even someone of "Dr." Coldwell's prowess could not cure them in a single visit.  Let's assume that each patient required an average of 10 visits before they could be declared completely cured, and that each visit required 1 hour of the great man's time.   35000 patients x 10 hour visits = 350,000 hours.  Assuming that he worked 60 hour weeks x 50 weeks per year, he could handle 3000 visits, and cure 300 patients per year.  At that rate, it would take him more than 100 years to cure 35,000 patients of cancer.  During this same period, he was also writing numerous scholarly works, giving numerous acclaimed lectures, dealing with "Nobel Prize winners" as his "patients or students".  We can assume he was doing that extra work during evenings and weekends.

Golly.

Curious that a man of such prodigious accomplishments would be acclaimed on the internet only on his own websites (or those of his partner and "patient", Mr. Kevin Trudeau, himself convicted multiple times of theft and fraud).

Who would have thought that news of such a magnificent healer and humanitarian could be so effectively suppressed in the age of the internet?  I marvel at the "cancer industry" and "tobacco lobby" in all their glorious omnipotence.

It is kind of touching that such a great man would retain the authority of his cute little German accent, like so many of the great scientists (Freud, Einstein, Warburg, Krebs, Meyerhof, Schroedinger, Coldwell).   Strange that such an adorable authority with his lovely German accent has such a non German name.  (Incidentally, I found a reference in the Amazon reviews of one of his books from somebody who actually went to the trouble to look up four of the European institutions at which he had allegedly served with great distinction, and none of them had ever heard of him.  Ungrateful!)

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
How in the hell would stress cause cancer?   >:(
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »
I hate Cancer quacks most of all, but ...

My favorite is his claim that table salt is "1/3 glass, 1/3 sand and 1/3 salt." 

I can't believe that he forgot the extra 1/3 of it that's made out of tables  :laugh:

personate-rain
personate-rain