Author Topic: BCG Vaccine for Tuberculosis  (Read 671 times)

Offline Meatleg

• Off to a Start
    • Meatleg Productions
BCG Vaccine for Tuberculosis
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »
Hi All,

Living in Japan, I have noticed that a lot of my friends and their children have a small array of scars on their arm from vaccination.  This is because in Japan, Tuberculosis is a threat and the BCG vaccine is used to keep it in check.  The BCG vaccine has a very high safety record, but the one drawback is that the scars on the arm can sometimes be permanent. This is due to the fact that there is a nine point needle used for injecting the vaccine:

Given that the risk assessment points me to the fact that having this nine point scar is much better than the alternative of risking my babies getting TB, I will be taking them to get the vaccine on schedule.  As a parent of two beautiful twin boys however, the though of permanent scars on their arms is a bit of a bummer...

Does anyone know of any TB vaccine that doesn't leave such scars that isn't in the experimental stage?  I haven't been able to find one.
I know it is a relatively minor thing, but I thought I would ask just in case their was one.

Thanks
Followers Hail. Heretics Fail.

Offline Jay_One

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: BCG Vaccine for Tuberculosis
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:28:55 AM »
My brothers both have large circular scars from BCG injections from when they were at school. I just had a regular needle shot.
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »
My youngest has a scar on her leg from surgery...and a scar on her forehead from a cat scratch.  I have scars all over for all kinds of stupid shit.

Scars are part of being alive.  If they do end up scarring, tell them why.  Make it a badge, a symbol of love, of making the hard choice.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
Why is a 9 point delivery method necessary?

Offline Meatleg

• Off to a Start
    • Meatleg Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
Scars are part of being alive.  If they do end up scarring, tell them why.  Make it a badge, a symbol of love, of making the hard choice.

That is beautiful.  A battle scar for life and health.
Thanks, I needed that.

Not sure why the 9 point delivery method is needed.  Maybe there are nine different variations injected at once?

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
I asked my colleague at work today, who is my go-to person for immunology as she is super clever and has a master's in immunology.

She says 'nay', there is no vaccine besides the BCG. There is no point in developing a new vaccine when we know the BCG is effective and inexpensive.

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
This was the only vaccine that I did independent research on as it was new to me as well when we were living in Turkey.  In the end I got it for my DD and she has only a minimal scar now.  Also her immunity has now worn off and she doesn't test positive for TB.  I was worried about that too and carried her BCG card to every appointment just in case after we left Turkey.  I managed to hold the test off until she was 9.  At that time she was borderline reactive but at 10 had no reaction. 

Get them vaccinated.

Cheers.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Meatleg

• Off to a Start
    • Meatleg Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
Thanks everyone, getting vaccinated in about 9-10 hours.  Will post pictures if you are interested.

PS - Skeptress, DD equals "daughter"?

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:26:36 AM »
Thanks everyone, getting vaccinated in about 9-10 hours.  Will post pictures if you are interested.

PS - Skeptress, DD equals "daughter"?

Darling (or darned depending on the day) daughter.  I'm not sure about Japan but the problem in Turkey is that TB is endemic in the cattle population which can then be spread to people.  Because of the ongoing vaccinations the number of people with TB has been significantly lowered. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/turkey/incidence-of-tuberculosis-per-100-000-people-wb-data.html
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Online Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
That is beautiful.  A battle scar for life and health.
Thanks, I needed that.

Just remember the cautionary tale of the "Fully Sick Rapper,"  a young man with multiple drug resistant TB. He ended up spending 6 MONTHS in quarantine. He had his computer, an Internet connection, a video camera, some editing software and the will to document his slowly dissolving mind in song.

I'm not Sick but I'm Sick Sick, The Fully Sick Rapper after 9 days in Quarantine

The Fully Sick Rapper on MTV Cribs after 73 days in Quarantine

Fully Epic Rapsody, by The Fully Sick Rapper after 102 days in Quarantine

I'm pretty sure he'd have gladly traded a lifelong scar on his arm for the six months of medical solitary confinement.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:43:39 PM by Halleyscomet/Wakefield »

Offline SimonW

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 06:06:10 PM »
BCG can be given in the buttock.

Of course if you do have bad swelling at the injection site that could make sitting down painful for a while, but for most people scarring on the buttock will be less of a visual problem than the deltoid. Depending how they dress of course ;)

BCG has a mild controversy over efficacy, so I think a more effective vaccine would be welcomed, and they are looking for better vaccines for cattle against Bovine Tuberculosis for reasons of efficacy among others.

personate-rain