Author Topic: Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (1974)  (Read 7244 times)

Offline SheMightBeGinger

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Always chew your food.
Re: Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (1974)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »
I have started this book more times than I've tried to quit sundaes.  I just can't finish it, and I can't bring myself to burn an Audible credit on it.

I too, have started reading this book more times than I've tried to quit sundaes.  And don't let the fact that I've never tried to quit sundaes take away from the fact that I too, have started reading this book many times.  Also, I've finished this book exactly as often as I have tried to quit sundaes. 
You'll have to pretend there's something clever or poignant written here, if that's what you were looking for.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 12:16:25 PM »
Was a cult book, like Lord of the Rings.

Read it, remember enjoying it at the time, can't now recall anything from it!

At last, Spiney, we agree on something 100%.  I had the exact same experience.  I read the book about 24 years ago, and, at the time I liked it, but now pfffft.  All gone! ;D
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline 2112

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »
There is every reason for math and science to be universal. Aliens, if they're highly advanced, will have discovered the same things as we have about reality - through science and mathematics.

I don't see why science and math have to be universal or even why they would be universal in the first place. We have to keep in mind that science and math are human endeavors and therefore highly influenced by cultural presuppositions and assumptions. The way that we understand the world through science is a way that has been developed to function with a human mind infused with occidental culture. There is no reason to suppose that our understanding would have any meaning to a species that has a completely different umvelt. They would most probably live in a very different perceptual reality than us, incomprehensible to the human mind. To suppose that they would develop our same understanding is simplistic.
Science probes, it does not prove.
-Gregory Bateson

My Blog

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
2112, that's not the point. Sure they'll have other concepts, and think about things differently, but they still have the same reality to study. Light will still be light, traveling at roughly 300k km/s, just as all other electromagnetic radiation does.

Pirsig is basically saying that Maxwell's equations are "just a human invention". They're not. They describe reality. An alien species may very well think about radiation in a radically different way from ours, envisioning it differently, experiencing it differently, but the radiation they measure will still follow the laws that Maxwell used to describe the phenomenon.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 02:20:43 PM »
Was a cult book, like Lord of the Rings.

Read it, remember enjoying it at the time, can't now recall anything from it!

At last, Spiney, we agree on something 100%.

It's all downhill from here. I hope your slide downward is painless ;)

personate-rain