Author Topic: Episode #77  (Read 30889 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #77
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
Quote from: "materialmama"
I was wondering why the astronomer was referred to as a "female astronomer"?  Are they so few that it's worth noting the female before astronomer?  Just curious.

It was purely for the purpose of identification - and it worked because Rebecca recognized the reference.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Episode #77
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 05:23:23 AM »
One Christmas the neighbor dressed as Santa and they arranged it so my nephew would look out the living room window and see "Santa" making his rounds. My nephew, about 8, said "that's just a guy in a Santa suit."

Sure he didn't bring down a pseudo science like therapeutic touch...
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline khaberz

• Off to a Start
Episode #77
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 07:57:10 AM »
I found the discussion about an atheist being impossible to be elected as president intriguing. I am not from the US, but I do follow US politics and sports somewhat closely.
Indeed, I could not think of a high-profile US athlete or politician admitting to being an atheist. I wonder: Are there any who do/did?

And how many claim to be religious even though they aren't, because that's what the public wants to hear (or so they think)? No definite answers expected for this one.

Kai

Offline Kayto

• Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.michellecaldwell.com
Episode #77
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »
I bet lot's of kids pretend to believe in Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc just to keep getting stuff ------ I know I did.

To be a USA president, currently, I think you need to be:
Male,
White,
Christian (not just any religion----nope no Jews, Muslims, Buddists. If you are Catholic, you might have a shot).
Divorce is not allowed --- but adultry is.
Of course, you need to be heterosexual.
Have I left anything out?
=^.^=

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
Episode #77
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 11:15:52 AM »
I'm wondering, what's the difference between christian and catholic?
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
Episode #77
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 11:25:19 AM »
Quote from: "Mike"

Martin Luther.
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
Episode #77
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 11:45:15 AM »
Quote from: "Paul Ganssle"

Martin Luther.

Thanks Paul.  I've also seen this on Yahoo! Answers:

Catholics are more religious (ceremonies) and believe you need to confess to a priest.

Christians believe in a relationship with Jesus Christ and He is the one you confess you sins to. (No middle man).
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
Episode #77
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
Regarding the "vomit comet," has anyone been watching Comedy Central late at night? If you have, you know that they constantly show ads for the "Girl Gone Wild" videos. Apparently there's a new one where they have a bunch of naked young women bouncing around in zero G on one of these flights.

About young skeptics - I have a friend who's a market researcher specializing in market research for children's items. On some recent test group they did with children who were somewhere in the 8 to 10 year old range they asked them if they would go to a website to type in a code to get a small prize, or something like that and they replied with things like, "I'm way too busy to have time to do that. I've got soccer and piano lessons and swimming," and, "That's just a waste of time - you never get anything good at all, and it takes so long to fill out those forms." Maybe that's cynicism instead of skepticism. I'm not sure.

Regarding the President - I wonder sometimes (and again, this is probably cynicism rather than skepticism) if we haven't already had an athiest President. For example, I look at Clinton and think that he probably wasn't a believer, but he knew what he had to do to get elected. And as for Catholics, we've already had at least one Catholic President - JFK. Kerry was Catholic and he only lost by 1 percent of the popular vote, didn't he? I don't think that has nearly as much sway as being an athiest would. I also don't think being divorced would have any bearing nowadays, where over 50% of marriages end in divorce. (Well, I could see it being a factor against a woman running, at least for men who are already threatened by the idea of a woman being President. We American's are wierd like that.)

Offline Havermayer

• Seasoned Contributor
Episode #77
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 12:36:33 PM »
I'm not the first, but my guess for the skeptical puzzle is the The Shroud of Turin

Steven and Rebecca should record their lectures and have them available for download, since I think many people would be interested in hearing them.
World Community Grid
Use your computer's idle time for cancer research.

Offline Roy P

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.roypreston.co.uk
Episode #77
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »
Quote from: "dcardani"
Apparently there's a new one where they have a bunch of naked young women bouncing around in zero G on one of these flights.

Mmmm -- Zero G-string :-)
Roy P

Offline Ariel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Episode #77
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 02:09:58 PM »
Quote from: "dcardani"
I also don't think being divorced would have any bearing nowadays, where over 50% of marriages end in divorce. (Well, I could see it being a factor against a woman running, at least for men who are already threatened by the idea of a woman being President. We American's are wierd like that.)

Just so you know, that's a bad stat (not that it has anything to do w/ your argument that divorce is more acceptable now - that is true). The 50% divorce stat was calculated by dividing the # of marriages in a year by the # of divorces in a year. Unfortunately, this is a very popular stat because it shows up quite a bit through citations of citations of citations. The actual divorce rate is harder to calculate, but often comes out as around 25%, although there is a lot of disagreement among methods of its calculation. I had a prof who HATED the fact that such a poorly calculated stat became so generally accepted, so I gotta do my part to spread the TRUTH (I got your back, Jennifer  :twisted: ).
quot;And then, there are fossils. Whenever anyone tries to tell me that they believe it took place in 7 days, I reach for a fossil, and go: fossil. And if they keep talking, I throw it just over their head." - Lewis Black

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Episode #77
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »
Quote from: "Kai Haberzettl"
Indeed, I could not think of a high-profile US athlete or politician admitting to being an atheist. I wonder: Are there any who do/did?

No national politicians I can think of, but as far as athletes, Lance Armstrong is an outspoken atheist, and I've heard that Pat Tillman was also, but I'm not sure.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
Episode #77
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
Quote from: "Ariel"
Just so you know, that's a bad stat (not that it has anything to do w/ your argument that divorce is more acceptable now - that is true). The 50% divorce stat was calculated by dividing the # of marriages in a year by the # of divorces in a year. Unfortunately, this is a very popular stat because it shows up quite a bit through citations of citations of citations. The actual divorce rate is harder to calculate, but often comes out as around 25%, although there is a lot of disagreement among methods of its calculation.

Wow! Thanks for that! I had no idea. I mean, I guess I should have figured it was a bogus stat given how popular it is in the media (not that I'm cynical or anything). Now I'm gonna have to look it up and see if I can learn more about this.

Offline materialmama

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.materialmama.com
Episode #77
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 02:51:07 PM »
Quote from: "chris"
Quote from: "materialmama"
Great episode, thank you!

I was wondering why the astronomer was referred to as a "female astronomer"?  Are they so few that it's worth noting the female before astronomer?  Just curious.

Thanks again!!!

M.

In the past the majority of astronomers have been male. This is changing though, and it was noted at the latest meeting of the International Astronomical Union that women are set to become more than 50% in the not-too-distant future. In my university department, the ratio of astronomy postgrads is something like 3:1 women to men.

Great point.  I had no idea.  I'll be setting up our telescope and bringing more astronomy into our home of (mostly all) girls.  I think it's fascinating and I'm sure they will too.

I was listening to this episode of Grammar Girl and it piqued my interest.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Episode #77
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »
Catholics are more religious (ceremonies) and believe you need to confess to a priest.

Christians believe in a relationship with Jesus Christ and He is the one you confess you sins to. (No middle man).

I believe you may have a problem if you attempted to tell a Catholic that they weren't Christian. The whole "personal relationship with JC" thing seems to have come with the fundamentalist movement. Luther and the Reformation was more about breaking away from needing a hierarchy between the worshiper and God (or something like that). The fundies just take it to its logical conclusion.

So, they're all Christians. If you want to differentiate, use Catholics and Protestants. The latter seems to be pretty much the evolutionary ancestor of all the flavours of Christianity around today.
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

personate-rain