Poll

Would you rather have the author of the skeptical quote stated before the quote or after?

Before
After
Don't care

Author Topic: Skeptical Quote Survey  (Read 26243 times)

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Skeptical Quote Survey
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »
Don't really care either way, but I do think Jay should do all future quotes with his James Mason impression.
I think Jay should do an entire podcast in that voice.

Also, I consider the skeptical quote to be kind of a weak segment.  Jay reads the quote, says the name in a funny voice, there's some general back-patting from the panel about how great the quoted person was/is, and that's about it.  The quote can't really provoke any discussion, because it's usually general and lacks context.  In isolation like that, the quotes have about the same utility as cliches or maxims - that is, very little.  On the other hand, at least the segment is short.

Er, didn't they discuss the quote this week? Sir Doyle and whatnot? Or was I hallucinating?

Offline Matlatzinca

• Brand New
  • Galactic Dragon
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »
Small discussion, but great choice.  I think I like the quote first, then I get to think (however briefly) of whom Jay might be quoting.

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »
The quote can't really provoke any discussion...
Er, didn't they discuss the quote this week? Sir Doyle and whatnot? Or was I hallucinating?
I can't listen to the podcasts until Monday evening, and I posted before that.  I feel stupid now.  I guess I could say something about the exception that proves the rule, but the fact is that I said they don't discuss the quote, and this week they did.

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »
I wonder why it takes from when they record the show on Wednesday, until almost Saturday night for the show to be put up.

"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »
I wonder why it takes from when they record the show on Wednesday, until almost Saturday night for the show to be put up.

Post-production; busy schedules. They do the same thing on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me and Car Talk. They record them earlier in the week, but don't publish them until the weekend.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »

IIRC, Steve does a ton of post on the podcast.  I remember hearing they often record for 2-3 hours, and Steve trims it down to the lean meat we get to hear every Saturday.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »

IIRC, Steve does a ton of post on the podcast.  I remember hearing they often record for 2-3 hours, and Steve trims it down to the lean meat we get to hear every Saturday.

And it's a good thing they do, unedited podcasts are as boring as... a very unexciting person doing something uninteresting.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »
It never occured to me. They must really work on it, because it flows so smoothly I never noticed any breaks in continuity. I just assumed they did it straight through.

Thanks.

Offline /\/\arko

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »
I'd vote for Matej's proposal, it would encourage more short and catchy quotes. Anyhoo, I somehow miss Perry "...of some note" DeAngelis' quoting style...   :'(

Offline jonee

• Brand New
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »
Saying it before gives it better context. I like context.

I agree - I prefer the way Jay had been doing it, with the brief description of the person being quoted to establish context.

However, if he always does an imitation of the person being quoted (the quotee?), that could be entertaining.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 08:05:53 PM »
Saying it before gives it better context. I like context.

I agree - I prefer the way Jay had been doing it, with the brief description of the person being quoted to establish context.

However, if he always does an imitation of the person being quoted (the quotee?), that could be entertaining.

Too late, you lose ;)

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »

As long as he's only quoting from Apu from the Simpson's...  I can't see him pulling off a Christopher Hitchens or a Carl Sagan.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 06:05:18 AM »

As long as he's only quoting from Apu from the Simpson's...  I can't see him pulling off a Christopher Hitchens or a Carl Sagan.

That's what would make it entertaining!  :D

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »
"Nonscientists sometimes blur the distinction between the intimidating language - mathematics - in which physics is developed and the engrossing ideas with which it tussels." - Brian Greene (from the Preface of "The Elegant Universe")

Offline False.cut

• Off to a Start
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 06:03:27 AM »
I'm of the mind that Jay should do the quote the way he likes. It really doesn't make that much difference in the end

personate-rain