Author Topic: Episode #146  (Read 11619 times)

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
Re: Episode #146
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »
I used to think that everything evolved because it was needed.  Then I got older and developed thick crack hair...  Oh, Evolution!  Was that really necessary?  I think not.  Maybe Darwin will pop out of there someday.  Looks like it's just his beard so far.

Offline skeptologic

• Brand New
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »
The new logo looks great. Congratulations on three years!!

Offline Damian Yeung

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 12:00:28 AM »
The logo has so much WIN written on it..

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Disinheriting the meek since 1977
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »
I used to think that everything evolved because it was needed.  Then I got older and developed thick crack hair...  Oh, Evolution!  Was that really necessary?  I think not.  Maybe Darwin will pop out of there someday.  Looks like it's just his beard so far.

About the same time I also developed a healthy imagination, unfortunately.
Fortunately, the species to which I belong happened to evolve certain cognitave abilities which allow me to shout in a loud, clear voice:
TOO MUCH INFORMATION, DOCTORATLANTIS!!!
That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
Concerning evolution and altrusim, Dawkins actually made a documentary about that some twenty years ago. -> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3494530275568693212

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 12:20:12 AM »

About the same time I also developed a healthy imagination, unfortunately.
Fortunately, the species to which I belong happened to evolve certain cognitave abilities which allow me to shout in a loud, clear voice:
TOO MUCH INFORMATION, DOCTORATLANTIS!!!

Thanks for the picture.  Now I know where the hair probably really came from.  Picard!!!! 

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 12:55:43 AM »
Grats on the 3 year!  Hard to believe I've only been with you guys (and Rebecca) for four months now.

Thank you all for positively influencing my life!

Offline Denton

• Brand New
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 01:11:42 AM »
A quick note related to the Science or Fiction:

item#2: New information supports the hypothesis that world-wide forest-fires were primarily responsible for the mass extinction (including the dinosaurs) at the end of the cretaceous.

In December, Dr. H. Jay Melosh of the University of Arizona was featured on TVO's Big Ideas.  The lecture, given at the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo, Canada in June 2007, was titled "Death of the Dinos" and the video can be found here.  The interesting thing that I took from the lecture was that the energy released by the re-entry of the carbon spherules into the atmosphere would have been enough to turn the sky into a giant oven, cooking everything that couldn't take cover.  I'm not sure that Melosh's theory is widely accepted, but it seems a good narrative.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:25:42 AM by Denton »

Offline Empiricaldeity

• Off to a Start
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 02:05:23 AM »
Hey guys. Nice logo. Great episode.

Just wanted to note something on the segment discussing 5 evolution misconceptions.  I think it was Jay that mentioned the brain cancer misconception, but i don't think he went into enough detain explanining properly why that is a fallacious statement. Especially for the listener who wrote in originally, who mentioned he has turned away from creationism only about a year ago, he would not know an answer to that type of statement.

So i am asking you or any of the other skeptics to please explain to me and all the other interested listeners the problem with that.

Ps i do remember hearing you explaining it before, on another podcast, but i just can't remember the explanation.

Thank you.

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 05:58:25 AM »
Great Episode! Thoroughly enjoyed it and congrats on 3 years!

It may be a misunderstanding related to science in general but my most hated misconception about evolution is that its JUST a theory. Like I said, more a misunderstanding of the method of science but it's applied to evolution SO MUCH.

Offline Niobe

• You betta back down before you get smacked down
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Sons of Dis!
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
re: Evolutionary misconception jumbo junkyard et al, one of the most prevalent misconceptions is about the PERFECTION of organisms and ecological systems.
One guy on the Randi forums once asked how it was that a cell knows exactly what to do, and my answer was that it doesn't, that frequently cells DON'T do what we want (hello, cancer!) and that every system in our body has at least one major defect or variation in a population. Now that the majority of people are seemingly in perfect working order is confirmation bias because the faulty ones either were never born, died early or are sequestered in permanent/ terminal care facilities. If people were planes in that junkyard, lots of us would have faulty wiring, shitty engines, error prone gauges, aerodynamics issues and a chipping paint job.

It's a matter of projecting their own cultural-religious preconceptions on something they're trying to understand (therefore lumping in bigbang, abiogenesis and evolution together because the creation myth is a handy compact all-encompassing story too), so too with the "perfection" angle.

And if the G man made us out of dust, why is there still dust, maaaaannn
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:45:20 PM by Niobe »

Offline libertine

• Brand New
    • http://welsh-sceptic.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »
So,
Can a monkey also kick a duck-billed platypus' arse? I think the poisonous spike on the platypus would make it interesting.
Question Everything. Except This.

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
I wish there were at least one skeptical ghost-hunting group.  Like, they could have all the equipment and do all the tests and infrared video and EVP recordings etc. etc.  And then after doing all the sciency stuff say "Nope, no ghosts here!"

Offline parallellines

• Well Established
    • The New Technocrat
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »
I wish there were at least one skeptical ghost-hunting group.  Like, they could have all the equipment and do all the tests and infrared video and EVP recordings etc. etc.  And then after doing all the sciency stuff say "Nope, no ghosts here!"

It wouldn't be as fun, because a skeptical ghost hunting group wouldn't scare themselves in the dark. It would just be a bunch of people going into an old house and looking at it for a few hours and saying "man, it was drafty in there!"
A skeptical journalist... Seriously!!

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 07:11:12 PM »
http://spookhunters.com/

Skeptical ghost hunters.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.