Author Topic: Bart D. Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus (2005)  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Bart D. Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus (2005)
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »
Subject introduction
Ehrman introduces the field of textual criticism and explains the history of the formation of the bible. He discusses how scribes copied the early Christian texts, sometimes making accidental mistakes and occasionally changing the text to suit their purposes better. Ehrman gives examples of such alterations in the text and how to identify them. These include changes based on theological views (early Christianity was hopelessly divided in their views on Christ, the Trinity, and other important matters), and on more 'political' issues such as the role of women in the church.

Wikipedia
Bart D. Ehrman
Misquoting Jesus

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
Re: Bart D. Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus (2005)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:12:01 PM »
I had listened to Ehrman's Teaching Company course on "Lost Christianities" , and read parts of some of his books a couple of years ago. Therefore this book did not contain any new information for me, but I nevertheless enjoyed it very much. As a classical archaeologist I am obviously interested in the time period, and as an atheist with a Christian background it is not hard to see why I find early Christianity fascinating.

This book gives a low-level introduction to textual criticism, and applies it in an easily understandable fashion to early Christian texts.

Most interesting to me are the changes that early Christians made to the texts at their disposal from theological motives. Various other forms of Christianity existed, including those who believed Jesus was not divine. It seems to be the case that the current form of Christianity does not go back to the oldest tradition, and is mistaken on at least the divinity of Jesus and the doctrine of the Trinity - that is if we assume the oldest texts to be authoritative.

Offline Mrs B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:08:50 AM »
I can recommend a very similar book by someone closer to home, for us, shall we say.
It is called "Het Nieuwe Testament Leren Lezen" by Prof. Frans Van Segbroeck (He teaches or used to teach at the KUL).
His main focus is to paint the long way how the NT evolved from being a divine book to a product of religious people.
He talks about the greek writings, the old latin translation, the different recensions etc. It's all in a nutshell, but good introduction.

The book is only 15€ (Acco uitgeverij).
It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him into possession of the truth---John Locke (1632-1704)

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:34:25 AM »
Sounds interesting, thanks ^^ I don't read a lot of Dutch books, except for school. This might be welcome change for once.

But I already have Misquoting Jesus planned as my next Audiobook after I've finished WoT5, since Ape is so positive about it.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:43:34 AM »
Yeah it's a great overview of Ehrman's work and his field of scholarship. It's low-level and short, points which are both good and bad about it imo. I'm currently reading Ehrman's 2006 work "The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed". Ehrman was of course one of the scholars first involved with the research and publication of this newly found early Christian text. Fascinating story.

Offline Lagnath

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »
As a bonus this book inspired the best series of books/pdf's.

In response to this book someone wrote Misquotes in Misquoting Jesus: Why you can still believe.
This in turn inspired a PDF Misquotes in Misquotes in Misquoting Jesus

Ehrman also has quite a few things on Youtube if your interesting in looking. Textual criticism is at once both one of my favorite and non favorite activities. On the one hand you have some really interesting people trying to find out the true sources of the gospels and when they might have been written. And on the other you have people who say "What do you mean the gospels weren't written at the time of Jesus??. You then spend time out of your precious life that you'll never get back trying to convince someone that the books as we see them are very unlikely to be anything close to what they originally were.

Then you wonder why you live in Texas... Then you cry a little.

Offline Lagnath

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »
I forgot to add, and I feel that I should, that there are some criticisms of Bart's book. Not being a professional in this area I don't keep up closely enough with the situation to make a knowledgeable assessment of these criticisms.

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »
I finished this book a couple of days ago :D

I loved the book but I am not an expert on this subject yet. Next year I'll be studying World Religions at Leiden University. In the second year I can choose from a variety of specializations and I might become the next Bart Ehrman ;D

I really love this subject (obviously), so I just started another book of his: The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:14:18 AM by Sabbie »

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »
I liked this book overall but would have liked to see more examples of changes.  Also I felt the book needed better editing.  He uses exclamation marks!!!! way too much and he sometimes "refreshes" our recollection just a page or two after the first mention of a topic or person.  I realize he was trying to make it less academic, but for me he low browed it too much.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:51:37 AM »
I agree with that sentiment funda. The book was great because the subject is so interesting, but at the same time the repetition and low level disappoint a bit. Fortunately there is plenty of other stuff to read on the subject, including more advanced books by Ehrman himself. It's a good introduction to New Testament textual criticism, and hopefully the general public will get a bit of the message.

-

Last night the book was mentioned in the chat, and Beleth recommended it. Since the WIN OR FAIL thread (see Forum Games) he's an authority on win or fail of course, so read this book!

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »
Yeah, the repetition annoyed me too. I don't know about exclamation marks, since I listened to the audio version.

Offline BoyofD

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
I liked this book overall but would have liked to see more examples of changes.  Also I felt the book needed better editing.  He uses exclamation marks!!!! way too much and he sometimes "refreshes" our recollection just a page or two after the first mention of a topic or person.  I realize he was trying to make it less academic, but for me he low browed it too much.
I agree with this criticism.  I enjoyed the book, but it did seem like an extended prequel to a longer book that actually had more specific examples and analysis.  To some degree, I thought the book might be more aimed at people unlike me (and others on this board) who might still be on the fence as to whether the Bible was the inspired, infallible word of God.  I think it was a convincing and respectful book on that point, but I didn't really need much convincing.   
he truth about expelled