Author Topic: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.  (Read 12650 times)

Offline Kurt

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
I loved To Say Nothing of the Dog as well as Doomsday Book. It always surprises me how little mention Willis gets considering she has won more Hugo's and more Nebula's than any other author.

That's interesting.  There are far fewer "SciFi" stat pages for awards than I would have guessed.  Aren't we supposed to be NERDS?  Why hasn't someone put together a little app/spreadsheet that lets us sort and such???

Anyway - she's won a lot of them and is one of only 2 writers to have won Nebulas in all categories.  (Greg Bear being the other.)
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/TableF16.html

And she's one of only three writers to have won in all categories of the Hugos.  (Ursula K. Le Guin and Fritz Leiber being the other two.)
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/TableF15.html

But if you look at who's won the most awards overall (and only consider the Hugo and Nebula) she seems to be the easy winner with a total of 9 Hugos and 6 Nebulas.  Yet Ellison has more overall awards than any of the rest of the lot.  But he doesn't want to be called a sci-fi writer. ::)
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/TableF27.html

I've got "To Say Nothing of the Dog" in my audible queue waiting to be listened to... and the paperback in my bathroom.  I just poop too fast to get any reading done these days.  Damn high fiber diet!

Yeah, Ellison is also a pretty big asshole :P

As far as awards, I consider the Nebula and Hugo to be the pinnacles, and slightly below that the Locus. I also watch for who wins the Campbell, Sturgeon, Clarke, Dick and Tiptree. It's odd that Willis has never even made the short list for the Tiptree.
I eat babies
Well, hell jus froze over. I agree with Kurt here (although he is still a dick).

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
DIASPORA by Greg Egan

Well, if that's not the book you're talking about, still I beg you to read it.  Egan is phenomenal and Diaspora is probably one of his best, if not his actual best.  I had to stop reading this thing with 100+ pages left because I was worn out by the sheer awesomeness.

I wish I lived in a world where Greg Egan was the famous popular one and Steven King was obscure.

Hey Zeno, I finally am giving Egan a try. I am about halfway through Schild's Ladder which was all my local library had when I hit it up. So far it is very enjoyable and interesting :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 03:50:00 PM by carrotflowers »
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
DIASPORA by Greg Egan

am reading.  is awesome.  thanks.  going back to read.  no time for internetz.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2008, 08:32:41 PM »
The peeing part is on page 188. It's the book I remember.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »
The peeing part is on page 188. It's the book I remember.

sweet!! i'm almost there. 8D
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2008, 03:27:55 AM »
So now I've read two Greg Egan books: DIASPORA and SCHILD'S LADDER. Egan is sort of short on story, long on detail. I can't really recommend him for fiction, although the ideas he has about the future are very interesting. He just doesn't develop them in any meaningful narrative way. I don't think fiction is the right genre for him. He's only interested in setting and exposition, not character, plot, conflict, language and imagery, or theme.

I'll be thinking about his speculations for a while, but not about his novels, if that makes any sense.

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »
So now I've read two Greg Egan books: DIASPORA and SCHILD'S LADDER. Egan is sort of short on story, long on detail. I can't really recommend him for fiction, although the ideas he has about the future are very interesting. He just doesn't develop them in any meaningful narrative way. I don't think fiction is the right genre for him. He's only interested in setting and exposition, not character, plot, conflict, language and imagery, or theme.

I just read Schild's Ladder. As far as that book goes, I didn't have that reaction at all. He is long on the detail that drives the science part of the plot, for sure, but I thought there was character development, imagery, plot and conflict. I found it to be very suspenseful. I thought Tchicaya had definite character development, by the use of the backstory. I thought even Cass was well characterized. There was enough story and character that I thought the ideas the book tackled really stuck with me.

I think maybe it wasn't literary enough for your tastes. But it was fiction enough for mine.
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

personate-rain