Author Topic: Episode #150  (Read 16884 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #150
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »
Podcast #150 6/4/2008
Interview with Walter Isaacson
News Items: New Hoax Alien Video, Solar Power from Sapce, Anti-Vaccine March on Washington, CAM in New Zealand Follow Up
Your Questions and E-mails: Cold Fusion
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline wallet55

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • 3 feet under the Salmon River
Re: Episode #150
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
I normally do not enjoy the interviews as much (which means I enjoy them more than most podcasts) This episode's interview was really good. It had the kind of questions and discussions on science (and history) that almost never happen in the regular science media
Thanks

Bob
Humankind cannot stand very much reality.   T. S. Eliot

Offline Redfox

• Seasoned Contributor
  • HA! HA! Multiple Entendre
    • SPORK ROAST PODCAST
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »
If it says TATACACATATCCTCGT, then you'll probably wish that you didn't know.

Offline krizzi

• Off to a Start
    • http://krizzi.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:51:09 PM »
Thats not an alien on that photo, thats a dude in a Punisher T-shirt! ::)

Offline Mandelbrot

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »
Nice episode.

Walter Isaacson should really keep that bit about "there should be a law" to archive e-mails to himself though.  The last thing the government needs is more reasons to justify encroaching on privacy, whether it's for the sake of "posterity" or "home land security".

Offline bigjohn756

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:58:33 PM »
How long will it be before kids begin to suffer and die from preventable diseases?  Who's going to tell Jenny and Jim what they have done?

Offline bigjohn756

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »
The Mayo Clinic's web site includes discussions of CAM cures in many of their informative discussions.  I have yet to see one of their discussions which says that CAM has any actual benefits.

Offline Redfox

• Seasoned Contributor
    • SPORK ROAST PODCAST
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:08:22 PM »
How long will it be before kids begin to suffer and die from preventable diseases?  Who's going to tell Jenny and Jim what they have done?

It's already happened here in Wisconsin.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Hilarious article Redfox.

At the risk of sounding like a heartless bastard (because that's stopped me before  ::))...

Madeline Neumann died Sunday from a treatable form of diabetes.
The family believes in the Bible, and it says healing comes from God...
"Only our faith in God is giving us strength at this time."

Gives you strength, like it.... you know, I don't think I even need to finish that thought to get the point across...

Offline Redfox

• Seasoned Contributor
    • SPORK ROAST PODCAST
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Actually this artice came before I started listening to the SGU so I figured it'd been covered so I didn't send it right away.  Now that I think about it, I don't rememeber them covering it in the previous episodes I listened to.  I'm surprised they didn't do it already.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »

I just saw a news story of a baby that was exposed to some disease (Can't remember but it was something nobody ever gets cause we freaking vaccinated) because a kid that wasn't vaccinated went to a foreign country where the disease was more common and then came home potentially spreading it to babies who were too young to be vaccinated yet. Man the mother was pissed.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Lonnie123

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 02:22:23 AM »
SGU gets better every week. While normally present, Evans anger seemed to be at an all time high this week. He is particularly fed up with the stuff that endangers people like the ant-vac stuff, and for good reason.  I suspect he may boil over here in the coming months.

Offline FlyLikeDaedalus

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 03:36:56 AM »
My mother had myself and my siblings vaccinated homeopathically in Texas, where I guess that was legally acceptable in the 1980s.

When I decided as a young adult that I wanted to look into getting my vaccines (apparently if you survive childhood you only need MMR and tetnis)  She tearfully tried to convince me to reconsider. She feared for all the horrible negative health consequences that
I would suffer; she had chosen not to vaccinate her children because she wanted us to be healthy, and continues to believe that her children are healthy due to this decision. 

Although, now that I think about it, most of my digestive health issues, uncharacteristic in someone as young as I am, may be a result of the massive quantities of colloidal silver I imbibed in my teens.

I could try to persuade my mother of the truth (about vaccines and other hippie medicinal beliefs), but I have little hope that it would work, and if it did, the guilt and the shame might be too much for her.  She did the best she could with the system of understanding she had.

All I can say is that I'm exceedingly grateful to have found the SGU when I did.

It may very well have saved my life.
In monotheism, Divine Intervention is like cheating at Solitaire.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 04:17:43 AM »
I would like to protest against "Science or Fiction." Steve says that death rate in golfers is 40% lower than in people who don't play golf. Does this mean that 40% of golfers never die?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Espresso Frog

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Obey Lemurian mind control !
    • Analysis Paralysis
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 07:25:53 AM »
I would like to protest against "Science or Fiction." Steve says that death rate in golfers is 40% lower than in people who don't play golf. Does this mean that 40% of golfers never die?

The Subgeniuses talk about the severed/bleeding head of Arnold Palmer and its magical powers when launched during ceremonies.  Could there be a link ?  ::) 

personate-rain