Author Topic: Episode #150  (Read 16888 times)

Offline Hayden Jones

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #150 (Intros)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 08:04:45 AM »
Did anyone think the intros were very routine given that last episode Steve encouraged his rogues to mix them up?

Offline Empiricaldeity

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #150
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
Is the episode photo on the front page meant to be the actual photo that is being presented by that alien believer guy?
it's seriously lame.

Here's a relevant photo i found just recently, that made me laugh.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #150 (Intros)
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »
Did anyone think the intros were very routine given that last episode Steve encouraged his rogues to mix them up?

They probably forgot.

And what's with the possessive pronoun?... I did not know Steve owned the rogues. ;)

Offline Hazzel

• Dark Vader
  • Well Established
  • If I were wrong, don't you think I'd know it?
    • "the cave"
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 09:15:06 AM »
gah! I would've enjoyed the interview if it weren't for all those embarrassing [concerning what's true]: "would the good lord make it like this?" Isn't that one of the main fallacies? Why didn't the rouges call him on that? If he believes in a kind of inconceivable order in the universe and choose to call that "good lord" or "god", please don't make it sound as if; 1: it's a god that decides what would happen, or 2: that it's a valid argument to determine truth.

Maybe I just misunderstood what he was saying, will have to listen again.
"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing,
but it's not one half as bad as a lot of ignorence".
- Granny Weatherwax

Stupid brilliant Philip Pullman and his stupidly brilliant yet complicated series.

Offline namidim

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Kittens==Win
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »
OK I can't resist. Here is the REAL alien video, uncut:

Offline Clintsc9

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »
At 12:30 Steve said a one kilometre wide band around the earth at geosynchronous orbit would be 1.6billion miles long.

Geosyn orbit is 42,164 km from the centre of the earth.

My reckoning makes the band only about 265,000 kilometres long.

Only?  ;D
Clint Lovell
--------------
Why does confirmation bias always happen to me?

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »
I would like to protest against "Science or Fiction." Steve says that death rate in golfers is 40% lower than in people who don't play golf. Does this mean that 40% of golfers never die?

The Subgeniuses talk about the severed/bleeding head of Arnold Palmer and its magical powers when launched during ceremonies.  Could there be a link ?  ::) 

We live in a really weird place where we are inundated with bobs. There is Good Bob, Bad Bob (But he's dead), Gay Bob, and Bob & Elise. They don't smoke pipes though.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 11:48:28 AM »
LOL @ Rebecca: "You have kids with diseases that are hot right now...."

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »
Regarding the "God" references - Isaacson was just presenting Einstein's views, not his own. It wasn't a debate about those views, but rather a discussion of what Einstein's views were.

Regarding the length of the band of solar panels - dang, I used the wrong formula. I knew I should have double-checked that.

Here is the correct calculation: circumference = 2 pi r, radius of geosynchronus orbit is 22,233 miles from the surface of the earth, which has a radius of about 4,000 miles, so that's 26,233 miles x 2pi = 165,054 miles. That's still long, but way off from the figure I used.

Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
Regarding anti-vaccine hype (hypo?) and the mainstream media, I seem to remember CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta getting stomped on because he came out in favor of science over bullshit on this issue. My memory's vague though; I don't watch CNN very often. I think they might have the most physically unattractive group of anchors and personalities on cable news TV. Yeah, I'm that shallow.

But Dr. Gupta's blog has some interesting entries. He still seems to be on "our side," but I sense he was more than stung by the recriminations of however many months ago, and might be just a tiny bit gun-shy these days. He seems to choose his words overly carefully.

EDIT: And don't read the "comments" following the article if you've just eaten.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:01:38 PM by skidoo »

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
gah! I would've enjoyed the interview if it weren't for all those embarrassing [concerning what's true]: "would the good lord make it like this?" Isn't that one of the main fallacies? Why didn't the rouges call him on that? If he believes in a kind of inconceivable order in the universe and choose to call that "good lord" or "god", please don't make it sound as if; 1: it's a god that decides what would happen, or 2: that it's a valid argument to determine truth.

Maybe I just misunderstood what he was saying, will have to listen again.

He did say "good lord" a lot.
In fact this may the most "good lorded" episode of the SGU ever.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
Look, those of us who haven't drank the creationist coolaid know what he ment by "good lord."  Those who have are already bat-shit crazy and it doesn't matter.  For the mugwumps, the fence sitters, I think he did a decent job of explaining what's going on.  I cringe at the word "god" in a scientific setting as well, but I shouldn't and you shouldn't.  It's like how some women cringe at the word "cunt."  It's just a word you stupid cunt....

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
Look, those of us who haven't drank the creationist coolaid know what he ment by "good lord."  Those who have are already bat-shit crazy and it doesn't matter.  For the mugwumps, the fence sitters, I think he did a decent job of explaining what's going on.  I cringe at the word "god" in a scientific setting as well, but I shouldn't and you shouldn't.  It's like how some women cringe at the word "cunt."  It's just a word you stupid cunt....

And in some contexts, the Lord and God Almighty are the only two you can rely on. Like when you stub your toe. They're cultural flotsam (or is it jetsam?)

Offline Vy

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »
I cringe at the word "god" in a scientific setting as well, but I shouldn't and you shouldn't.  It's like how some women cringe at the word "cunt."  It's just a word you stupid cunt....

I actually don't think that's a valid analogy, unless cunts are all-powerful, all-knowing entities that created the world and give Man hope for the future.

Wait, maybe it is a valid analogy...

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
Look, those of us who haven't drank the creationist kool-aid know what he meant by "good lord."  Those who have are already bat-shit crazy and it doesn't matter.  For the mugwumps, the fence sitters, I think he did a decent job of explaining what's going on.  I cringe at the word "god" in a scientific setting as well, but I shouldn't and you shouldn't.  It's like how some women cringe at the word "cunt."  It's just a word you stupid cunt....

Wow!  I agree with Hanes!

personate-rain
personate-rain