Author Topic: Anyone plays Go, igo, wei-qui, baduk ?  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Espresso Frog

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Obey Lemurian mind control !
    • Analysis Paralysis
Anyone plays Go, igo, wei-qui, baduk ?
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »

I can't believe it.  In this den of rationalists, analysts, skeptics, braniacs, boffins, geeks, anoraks  there isn't one GO club or one GO problem of the week section.

Now I'm not saying I'm any good at all, in fact I'm pretty crap at it but I was wondering if others were interested too.  The only time I've tried playing online I registered at the IGS Pandanet and started playing with the lvl 37 kiu (meaning: I can't even make a move, don't hurt me!) and got completely slaughtered by 8 years olds who also rated themselves 1st time players.... from Korea.  But that's normal since they are experts at age 6 over there.    By contrast my lily pond isn't the best place to find go players either.   

So I'm just looking for people to learn it with and practise it with.  There are quite a few good free Go programs around that allow you to play on a server or one to one so that shouldn't be an obstacle. 

so, atari baby like Sigue Sigue Sputnik used to sing ?

Offline musteion

• Well Established
  • Lord of The Pants
Re: Anyone plays Go, igo, wei-qui, baduk ?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:01:38 PM »
Like a lot of Westerners, I went through my "Go phase" and dabbled in it for a while. I do recall being horrible at it, but it was fun to play. In olden times, you had to use a separate app for it, but the easiest thing to do these days is probably Yahoo Games.

I'll play if anyone else is up for a game.

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:38:27 PM »
I was playing a lot for a while, and then suffered multiple humiliating defeats and gave up in shame. 

But yeah, let's play some go.  What server? Or where or how or???

Offline Espresso Frog

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Analysis Paralysis
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:05:31 PM »
I was playing a lot for a while, and then suffered multiple humiliating defeats and gave up in shame. 

But yeah, let's play some go.  What server? Or where or how or???

I know that this server is open and free.  It's quite simple too and there are a few programs that run on it.  A lot offer a chat ability. 

I haven't looked at the Yahoo option though. 

Offline Øyvind

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 06:20:40 AM »
I haven't used IGS in a while, but this vacation might be just the time to pick up go again.

And yeah, I absolutely suck at the game. ;D
"Some people say 'How can you live without knowing?' I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know." -- Richard Feynman

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." -- Agatha Heterodyne

Offline Espresso Frog

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Analysis Paralysis
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
And yeah, I absolutely suck at the game. ;D

Cool, me too ! :-)

Offline Vellon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Zebra > You
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 01:05:46 AM »
I've got an actual Go board I received for my bday last year.  I suck at it, but am very interested in learning the game better.  Where is this server/program to play it?

Offline Øyvind

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
The server I use is IGS, it can be found here.

The client can be anything, really. I use glgo myself, but you could probably use cgoban as well.
"Some people say 'How can you live without knowing?' I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know." -- Richard Feynman

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." -- Agatha Heterodyne

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
I've tried go in the past.  I relate my experiences to blernsball in Futurama.  As soon as you think you understand the game -- multi-ball! multi-ball! multi-ball!

Offline Espresso Frog

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Analysis Paralysis
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:43:36 AM »
I've tried go in the past.  I relate my experiences to blernsball in Futurama.  As soon as you think you understand the game -- multi-ball! multi-ball! multi-ball!

or you have just put two stones for the very first time and the guy across the goban starts telling you about how weak your game is and mentions tons of terms you can't even find in a regular Japanese - English dictionary.  I've spent weeks, if not months, reading Kiseido books (from japan) just to get familiar with the terms.  Took me that much to understand what they mean by "symmetry". 

But still, it looks fascinating. I'd say Go is a very sophisticated way to lose friends and be branded a loon. 

personate-rain
personate-rain