Author Topic: Amazon  (Read 5418 times)

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Amazon
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »
My local bookstore has populated the science shelf with stuff like  this so I find it too painful to try and shop there. 

On the other hand, I sometimes find myself trying to remember ordering stuff from Amazon while I'm sitting there with a box in my hands... it's disturbingly easy.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »
Amazon = no shipping, no sales tax, no stroller = WIN

Offline Iconoclast

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
Yay...TWO boxes from Amazon arrived today!
"Everyone should try to end the day a little smarter than they began it" - Warren Buffet
www.thelongrunblog.com - Critical Thinking on Money, Finance and Economics
"it is a mind over bladder thing" - Stonequarry

Offline fuzzbucket1

• Seasoned Contributor
  • i hate summer
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
This has nothing to do with Amazon, but I thought it was funny.

I was walking in Harvard Square on Friday, and some guy was selling $2 'almost banned' books....Dianetics was there! haha...I almost bought it...
http://fuzzbucketdeux.livejournal.com/ journal i write in. its sexy

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 12:25:50 AM »
You can tell Amazon to NOT use a particular product you've bought to create further recommeandations.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline Espresso Frog

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Obey Lemurian mind control !
    • Analysis Paralysis
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
My local bookstore has populated the science shelf with stuff like  this so I find it too painful to try and shop there. 

Quantum Astrology ?! wow that looks hot !  Imagine all the possible manners in which you can get away with crappy predictions.  "erm, you are stuck into a quantic state where you are both an aries and a scorpio at the same time and so it's very hard for me to..."

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »
Amazon.com is dead to me.  A while back I read 'The DaVinci Code' to see what the big deal was.  Then, I went on amazon.com to see if I was the only one who thought the characters sucked (I wasn't, thank Darwin).  But now, every time I go on amazon, it has some new Dan Brown recommendation for me!   >:( 

You don't know me at all amazon.com!

That's really easy to change.  Just close your browsing history option.  Or go to "Improve My Recommendations."

I buy so much from Amazon that they send me gift baskets in the mail.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline roger

• Well Established
  • Please keep my karma balanced!
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »

Quantum Astrology ?! wow that looks hot !  Imagine all the possible manners in which you can get away with crappy predictions.  "erm, you are stuck into a quantic state where you are both an aries and a scorpio at the same time and so it's very hard for me to..."

This quote from a Quantum Astrology review embodies wooness at it's best:
How astonishing it is when we can step beyond the binding ideology that holds us to the concept of living our lives along the path of a line, the sense of being trapped in a box. Instead, we awaken to find ourselves traveling a spiral, a circle, where suddenly, the overlapping clues of synchronicity and coincidence make perfect sense, because our circular travels overlap what has already been and what is to be. We break free of the line, and we see the beautiful circles that life forms around us and through us.
the Euler identity, the coolest equation ever.

My 2008 booklist

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 03:41:58 AM »

This quote from a Quantum Astrology review embodies wooness at it's best:
How astonishing it is when we can step beyond the binding ideology that holds us to the concept of living our lives along the path of a line, the sense of being trapped in a box. Instead, we awaken to find ourselves traveling a spiral, a circle, where suddenly, the overlapping clues of synchronicity and coincidence make perfect sense, because our circular travels overlap what has already been and what is to be. We break free of the line, and we see the beautiful circles that life forms around us and through us.

I feel I'm trapped in a spiral of crazy that I will never escape after reading that.