Author Topic: TAM 6  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Evan

• SGU Panel Member
  • Off to a Start
TAM 6
« on: June 23, 2008, 03:01:48 AM »
Hi everyone!

Just getting the TAM 6 discussion thread going.   

This was truly one the most incredible times I've ever experienced.  I'll leave it at that for now - you can take it from there.

Cheers!

Evan

"The masses are asses." - Perry DeAngelis

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Disinheriting the meek since 1977
Re: TAM 6
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:26:55 AM »
there's already one in the explicit section for all those drunk pics ;D
That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Offline The Dude

• Off to a Start
  • Nice Marmot.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:02:58 AM »
The speakers were extremely fascinating and remarkably entertaining, but the highlight was easily getting to meet and chat with you guys. I was surprised how eager to meet and greet everybody was. Everyone from James Randi to PZ Meyers to you guys. It was great.
That's like, your opinion, man.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
Some random musings...

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an incredible speaker.  His keynote was worth the price of admission alone.

Steve, as always, has an incredible mind and is an excellent orator.  His lecture went over a lot of what I have already read in Neurologica, but to hear it spoken aloud and put so concisely by the man himself was great.

Phil Plait was both extremely entertaining and thought provoking.  Hearing about so much that we don't know in our solar system alone awakened a sense of wonder I've not felt in a while.

Richard Wiseman's segment was just extremely cool.  Can't wait for the YouTube video to go up to see if I can distinguish myself from the crowd.

Meeting the panel was great.  Jay is keenly accessible, and seemed always willing to speak a few words to anyone.  Evan is very animated and passionate when he talks, you can tell he cares deeply for what he does.  Bob seemed shy, but very very smart.  And Steve is, well, Steve.  In person, you are almost immediately struck by just how much dumber you are than him.  Didn't really talk to Rebecca...

Watching the full pilot for The Skeptoligists was fucking awesome (that's right people, we got to watch the whole hour).  It is an unpolished show, but I see a lot of potential there.

Meeting some of the forum members was great too.  I'm an introvert, so didn't get too boisterous around anyone (and it didn't help that I tried to drink in moderation, that NEVER makes for a good time).  But it was very cool to mingle amongst people I've known only from posts and Stickam and IRC.

Only one slight annoyance on my part was the slight Libertarian thread throughout.  From the Objectivism book inserted in our folders to some of Penn and Teller's comments and to a lot of what Shermer said.  I suppose Libertarianism will always be on the peripheral of the skeptical community, but I just found it kind of annoying.

Offline boxie

• Brand New
  • You never forget your first TAM
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
First time TAM'er here.  It was so beyond awesome.  I was trying to explain to my family at home the scope of TAM, and all I could come up with was "It was Amazing."  We will definitely be back next year...and the next...and the next...  And to think, without the SGU podcast, I would never have known there was this great community of people who actually value critical thinking...

PS--Evan, you are such a rad guy, I'm so glad I got to know you.  Dan, my husband, got an adorably geeky little vid of you talking about your D & D group.  I think you are my new #1 nerd crush!

Offline The Dude

• Off to a Start
  • Nice Marmot.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »

Only one slight annoyance on my part was the slight Libertarian thread throughout.  From the Objectivism book inserted in our folders to some of Penn and Teller's comments and to a lot of what Shermer said.  I suppose Libertarianism will always be on the peripheral of the skeptical community, but I just found it kind of annoying.
Yeah, another reason I identify well with the SGU cast. They seem to have a healthy view of reality that doesn't fit well with libertarianism. To be sure, I have many sympathies with libertarianism, but we do have to live in the real world.
That's like, your opinion, man.

Offline SFBaker

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »
This was my third TAM, and I think it was the best!!

I loved all the speakers, Neil Tyson was awesome, but I think my favorite part was getting to meet the SGU team, and listen to them tape a couple of podcasts. I drove 9 hours there and 9 hours back and I listened to SGU podcast the whole way and the time just flew right by.

I am probably the least educated person there at the TAM events, but it still feels great to be around people that think the way I do - except the Liberataians!!

I wonder why nobody, that I know of, was affected by the 800,000 ghosts that were said to be there to protest us   :)

http://askdocparanormal.blogspot.com/2008/06/reminder-million-ghost-march-this.html

“Authority has every reason to fear the skeptic, for authority can rarely survive in the face of doubt.”
Robert Lindner

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »
I wonder why nobody, that I know of, was affected by the 800,000 ghosts that were said to be there to protest us   :)

http://askdocparanormal.blogspot.com/2008/06/reminder-million-ghost-march-this.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

That is awesome.  I didn't get a chance to hear Christopher Hutchins.  I feel like I missed out.

I definitely felt the presence of Tupac though.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
I think they sent the ghosts the wrong way.  I felt a chill on Friday night.  I was in Denver, so it MUST have been the ghosts.

Either that or I turned the A/C in the hotel room down too low.
#non-belief denialist

Offline boxie

• Brand New
  • You never forget your first TAM
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:24 PM »
Million Ghost March?

Yes, I think I definitely felt something...a strong force compelling me at all times to head to the Garden Bar...

No, wait, that was just the booze.  Never mind.

Offline UnBeguiled

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
Steve had at least one very quotable line in his talk, something like

"Science works.  They want to change the rules of science, because with the rules that work, they lose."

I don't think that's it exactly, but whatever it was really good.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 07:58:42 AM »
That Ghost March thing is the most hilarious thing all week!

All I can say about TAM is that I am extremely jealous :( See you all at TAM 9 or 10 I guess.

Offline Peacock

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »
This was my first TAM.  Since I live in Vegas, I feel like I missed out on a lot of the after-hours fun.  I just went home after each day of conference.  But the conference itself was a lot of fun.  I made people take pictures with my license plate.

I wish the Adam Savage pic had come out better.  That's the only one that would impress my friends.  :D

TAM is at the South Point next year, which is really close to my house.  I think I'm going to get some pictures and put up scouting reports on the JREF forum.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
The entire event was incredible from start to finish.  I met some of the coolest people, and I'm not talking about the speakers and other 'famous' people.  A lot of really great people from all over the world attended.  I was NEVER bored.  In fact, I had to pull an all-nighter I was having such a great time.  I will be attending every TAM from here on out, no matter what.

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 06:03:52 AM »
The entire event was incredible from start to finish.  I met some of the coolest people, and I'm not talking about the speakers and other 'famous' people.  A lot of really great people from all over the world attended.  I was NEVER bored.  In fact, I had to pull an all-nighter I was having such a great time.  I will be attending every TAM from here on out, no matter what.

Yeah yeah...

Show off :P

personate-rain