Author Topic: SGU on YouTube  (Read 25317 times)

Offline diabhal

• wooloohoo
  • Well Established
Re: SGU on YouTube
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 01:20:03 PM »
If you really want this to go viral, I'd suggest letting us fans of the show create our own videos for clips of our choosing, then posting them via our own YouTube accounts, or other video sites.

Just a thought.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »
If you really want this to go viral, I'd suggest letting us fans of the show create our own videos for clips of our choosing, then posting them via our own YouTube accounts, or other video sites.

Just a thought.

What's stopping you from doing that now??
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline diabhal

• wooloohoo
  • Well Established
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »

Just a thought.

What's stopping you from doing that now??

3 things...

1. Time. Personally, I just don't have enough free time to devote to such an activity, so I was mainly mentioning it for others to do.

2. Talent. I'm also not particularly good at video editing, I've always been more of a sound-guy (making music and what not). There's got to be people on this forum far more talented than myself in the field of video production.

3. Copyright Infringement. I'm not particularly well versed in copyright law, so I don't want to make any assumptions about the willingness of the SGU cast to have their material wantonly redistributed without their consent / approval. This is another reason why I specifically brought it up in this thread, to see if this is something SGU would permit.

Offline Eguy

• Off to a Start
    • The Zealous Human
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
Great idea... maybe a video stream of the SGU might make it a more interesting watch.

Also, make the last frame shorter because I think Youtube's view system works by recording one view when some one watches to the very end.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:47:43 PM by Eguy »
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

Offline Opcn

• Frequent Poster
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »
The social lives of the rouges are slowly fading away into oblivion aren't they.

Offline fuzzbucket1

• Seasoned Contributor
  • i hate summer
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
Im sorry....but I don't really like this....A video podcast might be a cool idea once in awhile.

The social lives of the rouges are slowly fading away into oblivion aren't they.

I wonder about this too....

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:38:57 PM by fuzzbucket1 »
http://fuzzbucketdeux.livejournal.com/ journal i write in. its sexy

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »

Just a thought.

Some fans have already done this, and I thought the results were quite lame. What I would prefer is that for any fans who would like to contribute - send us suggestions about which of your favorite segments you would like to see in Youtube format - send us pics and videos to use, and then we will put it together. Most of the work is in collecting all the images and video, so that would be a great help.

Also - keep sending creative suggestions. We are just starting to toy with this idea. We want to make it funnier, more engaging, etc. We will also add some new material that has not already been used in the podcast.

SGU 5x5 is an obvious fit to this format. We are on that.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline JMA

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Scepticisme scientifique
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
I think it's a good idea, especially when the topic is about a pic or a video you can show during your discussion.  ;)

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 01:37:32 AM »
I think it's a good idea, especially when the topic is about a pic or a video you can show during your discussion.  ;)

Agreed, it was nice to be able to see the visuals to accompany this discussion.

Offline SkeptiTeen

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • A skeptic in need, is a friend indeed.
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »

Agreed, it was nice to be able to see the visuals to accompany this discussion.

That's exactly my thoughts about it. If other people prefer the audio podcasts then they can easily not watch the YouTube version. :)

Keep up the good work SGU, I'll always support your new ideas.

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 08:24:16 AM »
Thanks again for all the feedback so far. This is a rapidly evolving project - and thanks to Mike who is helping out also.

First - we made a TheSkepticsGuide channel: http://www.youtube.com/theskepticsguide

Jay is in charge of sprucing up the channel - if anyone has any experience with YouTube let Jay know.  If you subscribed to the previous channel, which was under my name, then please re-subscribe to the new channel.

I made a new version of the fake alien video:
Incorporating the suggestions here, plus I discovered a couple new tricks, like how to pan and zoom. Let me know what you think of the new version.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

JSeamus

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 09:01:38 AM »
I rather like the video on the YouTube page. This would probably be a good format for episodes with multimedia content (ghostly fluffs of cotton on surveillance cameras, voyeuristic humanoid aliens, etc.).

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
Good thinking on updating the user page to an SGU page. Better marketing for the name.

I also like that you favorited a bunch of SGU-related videos!

Here's an excellent example, from your favorites, of a listener-made podcast clip that shares basic skeptical themes.
http://www.youtube.com/v/0wigysppDbc&hl=en

Offline SkeptiTeen

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • A skeptic in need, is a friend indeed.
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
Good thinking on updating the user page to an SGU page. Better marketing for the name.

I also like that you favorited a bunch of SGU-related videos!

Here's an excellent example, from your favorites, of a listener-made podcast clip that shares basic skeptical themes.
http://www.youtube.com/v/0wigysppDbc&hl=en

I think that YouTube is an untapped audience for the SGU. As long as there are some live footage. We could make up a screen where, while everyone is recording their voice on their own computer, they all have a webcam on so you can see what they are doing. It wouldn't have to be for every episode, but I'm just trying to make some suggestions lol :)

I guess it would look kind of like the intro to the Brady Bunch (with Steve in the middle haha) but as long as they keep up the good podcasts (which are always getting better IMHO) they will always have a growing fan base.

Offline dhawk

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Physkepticist
    • The Physkepticist
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »
Not to harp on this too much, but a more prominent and easier way to get to the SGU homepage would encourage traffic.  The only two places the url is shown is at the beginning of the video, and in the description box for the TheSkepticsGuide channel. 

I would suggest putting the homepage url in the info box for every video that you upload.  This is an advantage because the info box supports hyperlinking, so those who want to visit the homepage won't have to type in the url manually.  Also, when editing the profile of TheSkepticsGuide, under "Personal Profile" there is a field for "Website URL".  This is better than using the "Description" field for the channel because it hyperlinks the url and separates it from the description.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:08:38 PM by dhawk »
Attaching a probability to the existence of God is not only stepping out of the boundaries of empiricism, but also pretending that you have even a piece of Ultimate Truth.

personate-rain