Author Topic: Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon (1983)  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon (1983)
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »
Plot introduction
The legend of Arthur as seen from the perspective of Morgaine (Morgan Le Fay), who is often portrayed as a one-dimensional evil sorceress. She recounts the rise to power of first Uther Pendragon, her stepfather, and later the ascension and reign of her half-brother Arthur. Central to the plot is the growing tension between the old pagan traditions and the new Christian religion.

Wikipedia
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Mists of Avalon

Earlier discussion on this forum
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Re: Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon (1983)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:13:48 PM »
Great book. I don't like how many characters have a tendency to hold long sermons rather than normal conversations, but it's nice to see the oppressive Christians always getting their asses kicked in debates with the pagans. Of course this is set in a world where magic is real: there's no skeptical message behind the attack on fundamentalist Christianity, just a political/theological one.

Back to how great this book is: it's awesome. Earned itself a place on the prestigious "Apeiron's favourite books" lists, below Wheel of Time but definitely above Harry Potter.

I had never really read much about the Arthurian legends, although I knew a bit from historian's discussions, Wikipedia and Hollywood. I'm looking forward to reading more on the subject, both fiction and non-fiction, and discover how much Marion Zimmer Bradley invented and how much she brilliantly adapted into her novel.

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:32:28 PM »
...below Wheel of Time...

Duh  ::)

;D

I might read this book once, but it's going to be a long time from now.

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
As I mentioned elsewhere, I <3 this book. I read it when I was fairly young, maybe 12 or so? I heard that Bradley wanted to tell the tale from all the ladies' point of view so this left a huge impression on me - you know, I felt all empowered and shit. I have reread it many times over the years, most recently just a few years ago, and I still love it for the creativity, and especially the breadth of certain characters' development. The sort of debunking of Christianity as a sort of ripoff of paganism I also really liked. And as I also said elsewhere, I totally love Morgaine. I identify strongly with her voice, and her reactions to things, and I think it is this that has made me still enjoy this book for so long.

If you haven't read much else Arthurian, well I haven't either, but I did read something called The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. I remember I liked it, so I guess I recommend it.
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
I had never really read much about the Arthurian legends, although I knew a bit from historian's discussions, Wikipedia and Hollywood. I'm looking forward to reading more on the subject, both fiction and non-fiction, and discover how much Marion Zimmer Bradley invented and how much she brilliantly adapted into her novel.

Read Malory; you will be pleasantly surprised at how cleverly Bradley adapted the stories; she was completely faithful to a literal reading of the text while turning its meaning on its head!

personate-rain