Author Topic: Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth (1989)  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth (1989)
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »
Plot introduction
The book follows several fictional characters in 12th century Britain in a story that revolves around the building of a new cathedral in a town called Kingsbridge.

Wikipedia
Ken Follett
The Pillars of the Earth

Earlier discussion on this forum
Pillars of the New Earth
What to read next????

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
Re: Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth (1989)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
I've started just two days ago and it's a large book so I can't say much about it yet. So far I like it very much, after The Mists of Avalon made me hungry for more historical fiction (as far as Mists can be called historical). I'm only in chapter two, but looking forward to the rest.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:09:01 PM »
I just finished "World Without End," the sequel to "Pillars." I enjoyed it, but think it presented too modern a view of the period.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
My ex loves Ken Follett and this book in particular, so I have done my best not to read it.  You know, out of spite.  That'll teach her.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »
My ex loves Ken Follett and this book in particular, so I have done my best not to read it.  You know, out of spite.  That'll teach her.

Sweet, sweet revenge!

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »

Sweet, sweet revenge!

My wife is a nurse and works in a convent, so she'll love the book! (Much of the story in "World" involves nurses in a convent hospital.) Trouble is, she won't read a novel. She spends all of her free time with online gaming. She does listen to audio books, though. I'll have to get the audio book for her.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:45:07 AM »
The audiobook is good, decent reader and high quality (at least what I downloaded).

I've noticed so far that Ken Follett has an enormous tendency to explain and reiterate anything that just happened. Sometimes a character will think back about recent events, and just summarize everything that happened in the last half hour or so. Very annoying.
What is even more annoying is the explaining though. During discussions and when people have hidden motives, every time that something semi-smart happens a character will ponder about it - even if it's very simple. Also very annoying.

Besides that I have no complaints though, am liking the story very much so far.

Offline Velvet Sack

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
The first third was good.  After that, Follett works very hard to undo whatever potentially interesting plot elements there were.  It gets to be so, so predictable.  I kind of regret having read it.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:13:01 AM »
I'm at about 2/3rds now and I must disagree with that. There's some interesting twists every chapter.

Offline ft77

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 03:40:46 PM »
I just finished it.

I agree the explaining and reiterating gets tiresome, but I didn't find it as annoying as some have said. Follett is aiming at a mass audience, as he said in the introduction.  The writing style is consciously lowbrow but the plot, characters and readability keep it going.

personate-rain
personate-rain