Author Topic: Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love (1973)  (Read 6396 times)

Offline DaveTheReader

• Frequent Poster
  • Let me see
Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love (1973)
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:06:43 PM »
A 589 page book which could have been 250 pages without losing anything of importance. Heinlein used this book to espouse his ideas on longevity, sexuality, love and marriage. His ideas are interesting, he just used too many words to say them.

I have read a number of Heinlein books starting with Stranger in a Strange Land and have enjoyed most of them. The thing that became more noticeable in this book is that his dialogues are basically all the same. You could change the names of the speakers and, in most cases, the dialogue would hold together pretty much the same. In other words, if Maureen is speaking, she should be speaking differently than Lazaras, Tamara or Dora, but they are much the same. You could change the names on much of the dialogue and it would play pretty much the same.

When books are turned into movies, it is easier for each character to be different, though I heard that in the original Battlestar Galactica, Starbuck and Apollo used to exchange roles, by simply using the other person’s script.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:36:05 AM by Apeiron »

Offline Jim

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »
I read this as a youngster, probably about 16 or less, it really made me think about life and I started to do a number of things such as exercise that I am now reaping the benefits of. It really made me think ahead as a youngster especially about relationships. Your criticisms could be very valid, but I will always remember it as a very formative book, of course 30 years later a lot of the things about relationships are not as controversial as they were then.
Jim

Offline seanahan

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:59:55 PM »
I just recently read this book, and I think it was pretty good.  At worst, it makes you think a lot of life, love, politics, philosophy, and religion, at best, it is a classic.
hut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

http://seanahan.blogspot.com/

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:17:34 AM »
It was always one of my favorite Heinlein novels. I love the quotes.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love (1973)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »
Probably his worst novel, especially the tedious aphorims section, the prequel Methuselah's Children is very boring but mercifully shorter!

For good Heinlein - without his right wing "baggage" - try The Door into Summer.

http://www.sfsite.com/11a/dis92.htm

The 2nd character in it is a cat, nice read for cat lovers!

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »
Probably his worst novel, especially the tedious aphorims section, the prequel Methuselah's Children is very boring but mercifully shorter!

I don't know, I think it starts to get even worse by the time this series gets to To Sail Beyond the Sunset.  All the incest got a little weird for me.  Lazarus banging his mom with Lil' Lazarus in the backseat, who then goes back and bangs her dad if I remember correctly.  I got so lost in all the incest and group sex I think I forgot what the whole point of the series was.

That being said I love almost all of the rest of his works.
"That's because, they're a bunch of stubborn, root sucking, jackasses ...holding onto traditions, that are a thousand years old!" - Colonel Tigh

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »
Most of Bob Heinlein is far too preachy. As Sam Goldwyn said, if u want to send a message, use Western Union!

I also liked Number of the Beast, good fun (hated by critics!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheistic_solipsism

http://nils.jeppe.de/2006/06/15/the-number-of-the-beast

And By His Bootstraps (which is here):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/scifi/byhisbootstraps.pdf
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:56:18 PM by spiney »

Offline eatsbugs

• Off to a Start
  • Back with ye, foul knave.
    • ...eats bugs
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »
I had a serious problem with nearly every female in the book begging to bear Lazarus' child. I thought it was very sexist.

That said, it is good writing, good storytelling and generally enjoyable otherwise.
"Creativity--like life itself--begins in darkness." --Julia Cameron

Offline Kurt

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:21:30 PM »
I had a serious problem with nearly every female in the book begging to bear Lazarus' child. I thought it was very sexist.

That said, it is good writing, good storytelling and generally enjoyable otherwise.

I think Heinlein is the most difficult writer to try to pin any specific ideology too. What he seems to praise in one book he will turn around and bash or praise the opposite in another.
I eat babies
Well, hell jus froze over. I agree with Kurt here (although he is still a dick).

Offline eatsbugs

• Off to a Start
    • ...eats bugs
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:23:30 PM »

I think Heinlein is the most difficult writer to try to pin any specific ideology too. What he seems to praise in one book he will turn around and bash or praise the opposite in another.

I would agree. I know many people who have read his works, but there seems to be a certain subset of people who use his books as a justification/explanation of polyamory.

Offline musteion

• Well Established
  • Lord of The Pants
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »

You've likely had that same serious problem with most of his books. I did, even though I tried to overlook it.

Offline eatsbugs

• Off to a Start
    • ...eats bugs
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »
I tried to overlook it too, but it was pretty much in your face all the time. But I do have to agree with a lot of the other philosophies in the book, so I don't not recommend it anymore.

Offline DaveTheReader

• Frequent Poster
  • Let me see
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

The idea is that he is genetically very long lived.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »

The idea is that he is genetically very long lived.

???  what does that have to do with sexism?  i love heinlein, but his books generally contain raging sexism.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »

???  what does that have to do with sexism?  i love heinlein, but his books generally contain raging sexism.

I suspect his book might seem sexist to some of us, but he did begin writing around the late forties, with many of his books between the late fifties through the 70's.   But I never really noticed any sexism myself.  Look at Friday, with the heroine of the book being a badass super soldier, or in The Star Beast, where he portrays a role reversal on sexual promiscuity, with the male main character trying not to look like a slut when he tries to ward off advances by a female friend.
"That's because, they're a bunch of stubborn, root sucking, jackasses ...holding onto traditions, that are a thousand years old!" - Colonel Tigh

personate-rain