Author Topic: Longevity  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Thakkus

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Longevity
« on: June 30, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »
I'm hearing that living to 100 will soon be an ordinary thing.  What does the scientific community think of this?  On one hand we hear that more and more people are dying of cancer, and on the other hand, that living to 100 will soon be commonplace.  

What do you guys think of the longevity thing?  What role to drugs/nutrition play?  Or even evolution?
ou're a fanstastic audience.  Thank you ladies and gentlemen.  Thank you very much.

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Longevity
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »
The change in life span seems far to sudden to have an evolutionary cause.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Longevity
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 09:19:41 AM »
The big jump in longevity in the last 100 years or more is mostly related to sanitation and medical advances like vaccines and surgical procedures.  Think about what humans had  to endure at the turn of the century 100 years ago. Polio, measles all the childhood diseases that take there toll on human life spans humans have curtailed. I think these advances have just allowed humans to achieve their potental. Kind of like when you have an animal that lives in the wild and an animal that lives in captivity,more food, medical care better housing. There is a big improvement in the animals life span. I think that the next 100 years humans will be pushing up closer to the theoretical limit of 120 years. After that it's evolutions turn either manipulated by humans or natural.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline gost

Longevity
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 10:41:30 AM »
I agree. It's far too short of a time span to bring evolution into the picture. Improvements in medicine and sanitation, as well as improved diets are responsible.

I wouldn't think it would be too surprising to see an ever increasing life-span, however, as our understanding of the human genome continues to progress and we develop the technology to manipulate it and fix the errors. Wish they'd hurry up with the research, though. I ain't getting any younger.

Offline gost

Longevity
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 10:46:17 AM »
Of course, if we're gonna live longer, we're gonna have to quit being quite so stupid.
Operation to remove light bulb from inmate's anus
The moslem man swears he doesn't know how it got there.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Longevity
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 10:54:41 AM »
I think that cancer is the big question now. I think that if humans can lick that then humans will have a better idea on what happens with the aging of the cellular structure or how to extend life on the cellular level. That is with out starving one self. I am not giving up beer!:)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams