Author Topic: SGU-Uncut  (Read 24725 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
SGU-Uncut
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:41:26 PM »
Well, the new episode is up and it has the first of the interviews from TAM5. As we explain on the show, we have more content then we can use for the weekly podcast, so we are going to take the opportunity to begin something that we have been planning for awhile.

Namely, the Skeptics Guide Uncut.

We are going to create (probably in the next week or two) a separate podcast called the Skeptics Guide Uncut and will use that to post bonus material (such as the much requested blooper reels) and uncut long interviews. Unlike the SGU, however, this bonus material will not be free. We are planning on charging $1.99 per download, with episodes averaging about an hour.

This will in no way detract from our weekly free podcast. We will use it only to bring extra material to our listeners that we would otherwise not use. Also, this is great way for our listeners to painlessly support the NESS and the SGU while getting bonus material to boot.

Any suggestions for the kinds of material you would like to see, or anything else, please let us know on this thread.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip to Japan
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »
Well I'll be buying it if I can (Please paypal!).

Offline Ciro

• Not Enough Spare Time
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »
This sounds great, Steve! Will it be sold on the iTunes Music Store? Will there be any way to purchase them directly from SGU (I'd rather give you the full $1.99 than let Apple take a cut... I've given Apple way too much money in the last few years)
 have found that the more educated I get, the less I want to do with you smarmy assholes and your obsession with pushing your ideals on other people and and killing their buzz because you think you're helping them.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »
Paypal would be ideal, as it works out cheaper than credit card for those us paying in foreign currency. I don't believe iTunes offers that as an option, though; I'd also rather give my money directly to the SGU/NESS than give Apple a cut, though I can understand that the iTunes route is probably much easier to administer.

Either way, I'll be buying. :)
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:22:17 PM »
So is this going to be the show + extra material or just the extra material?
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 08:51:22 PM »

"Oh, so that's your little plan ...  get us addicted then jack up the price!"

"Okay, mysterious computer voices.  I'll pay your lousy $1.99 on one condition ..."

"Don't leave me alone with all these non-skeptical psychos!"

I'm just kidding of course.  I don't take the OP to mean that the original podcast will involve a cost.  But even if it did, I would pay to listen to it.  

I have been suggesting ideas myself on how they should go about making money for their skeptical organisations.

Here's my latest one:  Skeptical Ringtones.

I saw a Yellow Bamboo vid on Youtube, where in one comment a guy suggested how cool it would be to have the Yellow Bamboo loser yelling as his ringtone.

Ownedyou (7 months ago)
I want that sexy bamboo scream as my ringtone....

(Reply)  
IRONxMANxatxIIDB (5 days ago)
Dude I almost choked on a corn chip when I read that. That idea is bloody genius!

How cool would it be to have cool skeptical sounds and quotes as a ringtone?  

Personally I would like to have the court recording of US District Judge Casey Rodgers sentencing Kent Hovind, so everytime the phone rang I would be reminded of it.

There's a lot of money in ringtones right?  And they are easy to deliver.

Note:  I edited this post after Ole made the next post - so he is not referring to my idea as great, but I suspect the OP.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline Ole Eivind

• Frequent Poster
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:57:01 PM »
Sounds great!
I would also appreciate paypal.

There really is a Zappa quote for every occasion;
"If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"

Offline chris

• Off to a Start
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
I'd like to hear a bloopers show.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »
This is a great idea! Count me in on this.  I would LOVE to hear the blooper reels in their full R-Rated glory.

Especially about monkeys, birds and bacon. ;)
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 12:39:07 AM »
The pay content is not going to follow the regular show format.  The bloopers probably wont need any lengthy explanations from us.   May a little talk about how silly they are and what episode it was taken from. The extra content from TAM5 will have us talking about the interview and also discussing in greater detail the circumstances behind it.  I'm really excited about this extra content.  I hope you guys enjoy it.
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 01:13:52 AM »
Quote from: "Jay"
The pay content is not going to follow the regular show format.  The bloopers probably wont need any lengthy explanations from us.   May a little talk about how silly they are and what episode it was taken from. The extra content from TAM5 will have us talking about the interview and also discussing in greater detail the circumstances behind it.  I'm really excited about this extra content.  I hope you guys enjoy it.

I think the big question right now is "payment method".  Can we get an official word on this or must we wait until the press release? ;)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 08:06:52 AM »
We will try to make it available in as many ways as possible. Definitely on iTunes if possible, directly from us if we can work out a method. We are actively creating the logistical details right now - the content, the logo, where the RSS will be, etc. Once we have that, then we will work on the venues. I estimate you will be able to download the first bonus episode in two weeks. We announce it early on the forums to give our regular forum denizens a heads up, and to get your feedback.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 04:06:34 PM »
Content ideas for Skeptics Guide Uncut:

Most of these ideas would require work above and beyond what would normally be done for the weekly show, but I thought I would toss them out there.

Case File shows.  Perry or Dr. Novella, etc. could recount an invesigation into an alleged paranormal activity.  (Mrs. Doe said her house was haunted, and it turned out is was not the undead visiting, but the neighbor's cat.)  It could be used to discuss the process of investigating the alleged event or claim.

Reviews. When a relevant skeptical, or paranormal book, television show, or news article is published have one of the rogues do a review.

Lectures.  Whenever there is a lecture from a skeptic or pro-paranormal person rebroadcast it with or withour comment.

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
I like all of those ideas, Nigel.

"Uncut" makes it sound like Girls Gone Wild.

but who knows-- maybe it will be! :shock:

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 08:45:23 PM »
Quote from: "heliocentricra"
I like all of those ideas, Nigel.

"Uncut" makes it sound like Girls Gone Wild.

but who knows-- maybe it will be! :shock:

haha, "Skeptics Gone Wild".  This deserves the photoshop treatment from IRON MAN. :)

personate-rain