Author Topic: SGU-Uncut  (Read 27101 times)

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 03:39:13 AM »
Quote from: "Mike"
Quote from: "heliocentricra"
I like all of those ideas, Nigel.

"Uncut" makes it sound like Girls Gone Wild.

but who knows-- maybe it will be! :shock:

haha, "Skeptics Gone Wild".  This deserves the photoshop treatment from IRON MAN. :)

Now, where am I going to find time to do that?  I'm still trying to do one for helio, with Tom Cruise in an electric chair, except the chair is Oprah's couch.

... Oh okay ...

Hmmm ... When's the last time I picked on Bob?

Pictures so convincing they could easily result in divorce ...

You don't wanna know what Google image search gives you when you put in the term, "girls gone wild".

I think I need to erase my hard drive ...
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 07:56:10 AM »
Quote from: "IRON MAN"
Quote from: "Mike"
Quote from: "heliocentricra"
I like all of those ideas, Nigel.

"Uncut" makes it sound like Girls Gone Wild.

but who knows-- maybe it will be! :shock:

haha, "Skeptics Gone Wild".  This deserves the photoshop treatment from IRON MAN. :)

Now, where am I going to find time to do that?  I'm still trying to do one for helio, with Tom Cruise in an electric chair, except the chair is Oprah's couch.

... Oh okay ...

Hmmm ... When's the last time I picked on Bob?

Pictures so convincing they could easily result in divorce ...

You don't wanna know what Google image search gives you when you put in the term, "girls gone wild".

I think I need to erase my hard drive ...

Thank you IM!!  I knew I could count on you.  I'm thinking of going through all your posts and putting up a gallery somewhere.  These works of art need to be displayed! :)
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 11:04:12 AM »
My gosh you are a commited little monkey. That's cool. Soooo cool.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline a3maniac

• Happy birthday Goddess AKA a3maniac
  • Seasoned Contributor
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »
The whole thing about it being available only on iTunes is that most foreigners aren't able to purchase it using their credit cards, so there's no way I could pay for the download, even if I wanted to.

So yeah... paypal is greatly appreciated.
Google is your friend.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »
Quote from: "a3maniac"
The whole thing about it being available only on iTunes is that most foreigners aren't able to purchase it using their credit cards, so there's no way I could pay for the download, even if I wanted to.

What about buying prepaid itunes cards?

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »
Without a credit card?

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »
I'm sure you could use a Brazilian (or any other nationality) credit card to buy an iTunes gift certificate.

HAHAHA Skeptics Gone Wild! The one of Steve is my favorite, if only for the fact that he looks so incredibly uncomfortable. The Randi one is a little disturbing. I like to keep my elder statesmen debunkers and my hot girls making out as far apart as possible.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 11:22:51 PM »
No they sell them in electronics stores, like best buy, circuit city, radio shack, future shop, etc.

Offline champagnej

• Keeps Priorities Straight
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 01:13:36 AM »
This forum just got a whole lot sexier!

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 02:20:23 AM »
Quote from: "a3maniac"

Does iTunes prevent certain countries from using their credit cards? I've never had a problem from Oz...

Regardless, definitely my preference, due to the lower transaction fee.
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline H.E. Pennypacker

• Off to a Start
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 12:50:17 PM »
If I may, I'd like to also support an alternate form of purchase (though in addition to iTunes is fine). In addition to the above payment issues, my main beef is that everything purchased through iTunes must contain mandatory DRM. If you want to put something for sale on iTunes, it has to go through Audible (as an audiobook). Not only to they also take a cut of your money but they FORCE you to include DRM whether you want it or not (incidentally, Audible is the only company to ever get their hands on a licence to Apple's FairPlay). This is the route that Ricky Gervais took with his pay podcasts.

In addition to my philosophical opposition to DRM (please don't treat me like a criminal, I'm trying to buy the damn thing after all), it has very real consequences. Namely, that something purchased through iTunes must be played in either the iTunes music player or an iPod. Those of us with non-Apple mp3 players are screwed. No more listening in the car on my way to work.

Sorry for the rant. Bottom line: if it's available without DRM, I'll buy every single episode. Offering it through iTunes/Audible is fine, but I think you'd be crazy not to give us another option.

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »
Steve and I have been feverishly looking for ways to sell our new uncut content over the past two weeks.  I have to admit we thought this process was going to be a lot easier than it turned out.  H.E. Pennypacker, you are mostly correct and I do agree with you that using iTunes/Audible has the mandatory DRM.  Unfortunately I have not found a better solution than Audible so far.  Audibles site says that their downloads are usable by 190 different players.  I would imagine that most of us are using a player that is on this list.  I am happy to take suggestions from anyone as to a better option than using Audible.  I want everyone to have access to this new content and I swear not just because we need the money  :lol:
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline H.E. Pennypacker

• Off to a Start
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
As far as I'm aware, there isn't any way to set up an RSS feed (podcast) while charging for content outside of iTunes by nature of the fact that RSS feeds don't work very well when passworded.

To be perfectly honest, this is how I'd do it:

Ask people to send a Paypal payment of $1.99 to a given address. When the payment has been received, the person gets a link to the url to download the MP3. It's not a feed, but it gives people easy access to the file. The downside is that, unless you can somehow automate it, it will require the human legwork to approve all the payments.

By the way, don't know if you've ever been a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but most recent iteration of it (from Mike Nelson), RiffTrax, works in exactly this way.

If you were really intent on having an RSS feed, just make one but don't publish the URL. When someone pays, say on a monthly basis, just give them the correct feed address to put in their podcatcher. Yes, this requires a certain amount of trust in people not to distribute it themselves, but history has shown that copy protection etc. only ever hinders the honest people. The pirates will always pirate it anyway -- hence my issue fundamental issue with DRM.

I think the honor system is rather underrated, especially with regard to the SGU fanbase.

Offline 6for2

• Not Enough Spare Time
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 06:34:53 PM »
Quote from: "H.E. Pennypacker"

To be perfectly honest, this is how I'd do it:

I agree with H.E. Pennypacker.  I don't do itunes, as I have philosophical issues with DRM, and I don't have an ipod.  Do PayPal and direct download, and I'll be among the first to sign up.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
SGU-Uncut
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:54 AM »
Quote from: "H.E. Pennypacker"
Ask people to send a Paypal payment of $1.99 to a given address. When the payment has been received, the person gets a link to the url to download the MP3. It's not a feed, but it gives people easy access to the file. The downside is that, unless you can somehow automate it, it will require the human legwork to approve all the payments.

If Jay and Steve are going to use audible.com, doesn't that effectively give you what you're after? While the ".aa" format is DRM'd, at least it's supported by a large number of non-Apple devices. Each premium episode would then be effectively a separate "audio book", which could be linked directly off the SGU site (no need for an RSS feed).

An alternative would be something like Podiobooks: while the content is effectively free (RSS'd MP3s), the mechanism for donating is built into the site, thus making it painless. As you noted, this would rely on the listeners to choose to pay, but I suspect the vast majority of us would!
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."