Author Topic: Waste of time?  (Read 145127 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
Re: Waste of time?
« Reply #2190 on: March 17, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »
... Damn.

Well, carry on then.  Don't let my encouragement of plagiarism stop your plagiarism.  :P
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #2191 on: March 17, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
... Damn.

Well, carry on then.  Don't let my encouragement of plagiarism stop your plagiarism.  :P

The whole point of Creepypasta and Copypasta is that the content is not original and the original authors are often unknown, thanks to thousands of iterations of the same story being copied and pasted over and over. This odd and relatively obscure cultural quirk of sites like 4chan is taken for granted on its native hunting ground and I was foolish to not be more explicit with what I was doing.

To that end, I've edited the creepypasta posts to attribute the collection site from which I got them. Creepypasta and copypasta purists will be horrified at what I've done, but one must make concessions to changes in various cultural paradigms on the Internet.

Sorry. The intertubes.

Wait, is this the right context for that joke-?

Ah screw it.

All your base are belong to us!

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #2192 on: March 18, 2009, 12:10:23 AM »
aw.  I feel bad.  I knew it was creepypasta, I was just making a random suggestion that was totally not serious.  Now I really am considering colorizing my snark.  I've made you do effort.  :'(

Offline JamesTate

• I'm Actually Mr. Wiggles
  • Frequent Poster
  • All things being equal
    • A Skeptics Journey
« Reply #2193 on: March 18, 2009, 12:29:44 AM »
*claps*  That was a great story.  You should submit it to Psuedopod.

you listen to that too?
"Always a plus when you aren't associated with genocide." - IrishJazz
"Doesn't this sound like a spaceship?" - Lady Cyrtpess
"A dry vagina is a sad vagina." -Pandaioum

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #2194 on: March 18, 2009, 12:34:53 AM »
*claps*  That was a great story.  You should submit it to Psuedopod.

you listen to that too?

Hell yes.  And EscapePod and CastlePod.

/high fives james

Offline Knight VII

• Well Established
« Reply #2195 on: June 24, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »
Cool thread  8)
So yes, the program will cost $1tn

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #2196 on: June 24, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »
Cool thread  8)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #2197 on: June 25, 2009, 08:23:22 AM »
Cool thread  8)

It would be again if you would ever answer a single freaking point. Good to hear from you.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #2198 on: June 25, 2009, 09:09:15 AM »
Cool thread  8)

It would be again if you would ever answer a single freaking point. Good to hear from you.

You seem to be using a definition of "good" with which I am not familiar.

For the record, I still think Knight VII and Swamprat may be the same person.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #2199 on: June 25, 2009, 10:29:05 AM »
Cool thread  8)

This person?
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #2200 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »
Cool thread  8)

This person?

Looks about right to me.

Knight, if you're reading this, I'd like to point something out to you.

The general contempt with which you're regarded here has nothing to do with your religious beliefs, although I suspect you'll try to blame it all on "those darn atheists hatin' on a Jesus Freak". It has to do with your posting behavior. In the past you'd made it clear that you had at best a remedial knowledge of the Bible and theology.  You recycled old, tired arguments and kept reusing them regardless of what anyone else said. It became clear you weren't actually paying attention to the replies, but were cherry picking the posts which gave you a chance to use what read like recycled quotes from apologist sites. Your general contempt and lack of respect for most respondents didn't help.

A few months have passed and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you're off to a bad start. Your first post in ages was to criticize people for correctly anticipating that there would be not-job conspiracy theories about Flight 447. Next, you revived a thread you'd started in what looked like a transparent and juvenile attempt at marking territory.

If you want an actual discussion about theology, religion or any other topic, then I recommend you start a new thread in the appropriate section, respectfully asking the question you have in mind, or linking to the article you'd like to discuss. Reviving "Waste of Time" just looks like you're trying to push the thread's post count a little bit further so you can stroke your ego about making "them darn heathens" waste time on your thread.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:00:25 AM by halleyscomet »

Offline Knight VII

• Well Established
« Reply #2201 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »
Cool thread  8)

This person?

Looks about right to me.

Knight, if you're reading this, I'd like to point something out to you.

The general contempt with which you're regarded here has nothing to do with your religious beliefs, although I suspect you'll try to blame it all on "those darn atheists hatin' on a Jesus Freak". It has to do with your posting behavior. In the past you'd made it clear that you had at best a remedial knowledge of the Bible and theology.  You recycled old, tired arguments and kept reusing them regardless of what anyone else said. It became clear you weren't actually paying attention to the replies, but were cherry picking the posts which gave you a chance to use what read like recycled quotes from apologist sites. Your general contempt and lack of respect for most respondents didn't help.

A few months have passed and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you're off to a bad start. Your first post in ages was to criticize people for correctly anticipating that there would be not-job conspiracy theories about Flight 447. Next, you revived a thread you'd started in what looked like a transparent and juvenile attempt at marking territory.

If you want an actual discussion about theology, religion or any other topic, then I recommend you start a new thread in the appropriate section, respectfully asking the question you have in mind, or linking to the article you'd like to discuss. Reviving "Waste of Time" just looks like you're trying to push the thread's post count a little bit further so you can stroke your ego about making "them darn heathens" waste time on your thread.

Well, I did pour my blood, sweat & tears into this thread.

I probably am just a troll here because I don't really approve of 'skeptics'. The same way a normal person would be a troll in a 'pedophilia' community. I don't consider myself one of you. I think you care more about being skeptical than discovering truth, or considering possibilities.
So yes, the program will cost $1tn

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #2202 on: June 25, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
being skeptical is nothing less than accepting the truth. it requires a lot of patience, sometimes.

i'm actually kind of sad that you have such a negative view of skeptics. you should try listening to SGU, if you don't already. or check out some of the podcasts listed here.

Offline Thespis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2203 on: June 25, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #2204 on: June 25, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »
Well, I did pour my blood, sweat & tears into this thread.

No, not really. Go back and read your posts. You'll find a lot of the dismissive attitude you show below. You very quickly revealed how little you knew about the Bible. You were attacking and dismissive even when people pointed out the difference between Biblically supported dogma and Catholic dogma with no Biblical basis.

I probably am just a troll here because I don't really approve of 'skeptics'. The same way a normal person would be a troll in a 'pedophilia' community. I don't consider myself one of you. I think you care more about being skeptical than discovering truth, or considering possibilities.

You compare the people on this board to pedophiles and yet claim you're not a troll? Oh my.  :D

Here lies the crux of the matter. Admit it or not, you're just pissed that the atheists didn't start converting in droves. By "truth" you only mean YOUR religious truth.

Asking questions and seeking a better understanding is not an attack. Your inability to see that is a major reason no one here respects you anymore. You have no curiosity, no thirst for knowledge. You seek only to evangelize, and yet you lack the understanding needed to present your own faith adequately.

Keep in mind, you started this thread with an arrogant, dismissive attack. To make matters worse you were not only recycling Pascal's Wager, but you didn't even know what it WAS when it was brought up. You started out acting like an arrogant twit and have lived up to that initial impression ever since.

Grow up. Set aside childish things and help your faith mature into that of a man. Hiding behind hurt feeling and imagined attacks will only make you look like some pathetic emo version of Doubting Thomas. I doubt God wants Christians who whine and moan every time someone disagrees with them, or tosses out pedophile comparisons whenever someone asks them a though question.

Learn how to live in the real world and learn how to defend your faith without acting like a whiny brat whose parents spared the rod WAY too much.