Author Topic: David J. Daegling - Bigfoot Exposed (2005)  (Read 1175 times)

Offline dnorberg

• Off to a Start
David J. Daegling - Bigfoot Exposed (2005)
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:48:38 AM »
Has anyone else here read David Daegling's Bigfoot Exposed, and if so what did you think of it?

I heard an interview with Daegling on Audiomartini and it spurred me to pick up his book at the library.  I just finished it and thought it was a fantastic read.  I was a firm true believer in UFOs, Bigfoot, ghosts, and the like as a kid.  Of those ideas, I gave up Bigfoot last because it always seemed the most plausible to me, and I just wanted to be true.  (I spent a lot of time in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest near Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams as a kid and was always scanning the treeline for my sighting that never came.)

The books is a good skeptical monograph.  It covers critical thinking and logic throughout the text and gives a good breakdown of the the main players, purported evidence, and why that evidence is badly flawed.  The best aspect of the book, I think, is that it doesn't stop at that.  It goes beyond skepticism about the claims surrounding Bigfoot and offers an interesting argument for why the legend endures - why it hasn't gone the way of the unicorn.    It's spurring me to look for similar arguments / explanations.  Why did UFOs become so popular when they did?  (Easier to explain with the space race and Cold War.)  It seems UFOs are less interesting to younger generations.  Why?  What does it say about the culture?  I guess it's just an interesting jump past the "they're wrong because..." discussions.

I do have two questions bugging me now, however.
1) Why does Bigfoot still captivate me?  I don't think it exists, but I still find the topic to be really interesting?

2) I wonder if there is any correlation between religiosity and belief in Bigfoot.  I'm guessing there is an inverse correlation.  He touched on it briefly in the book; some people searching for meaning find it in Bigfoot "research."  In my time in UFO circles as a kid, I found those folks to be highly disdainful of organized religion.  I'm guessing the same may carry over into the Bigfoot camp.  People who want mystery and don't accept religion, may find what they are looking for here in Bigfoot...

Anyway, a great read and I can't recommend it enough!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:07:52 AM by Apeiron »