Author Topic: Brian Dunning - Skeptoid (2007)  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
Brian Dunning - Skeptoid (2007)
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
OK, everything in this book probably can be found here:
http://skeptoid.com/

Everything from Amityville to whacking in chapters 2-3 pages long. A good book to skim when something 'new' crops up.
This isn't detailed facts or debunking. More like a warm-up session for the skeptical parts of your brain.

I found chapters like 'Scientists are not created equal', 'A primer on scientific testing', 'An evolution primer for creationists' and 'How to spot pseudoscience' to very useful. Short and to the point. Should be in every school.
Quaere verum

Offline Kurt

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Brian Dunning - Skeptoid (2007)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
You can also listen to the whole thing, read by the author:

http://www.podiobooks.com/title/skeptoid
I eat babies
Well, hell jus froze over. I agree with Kurt here (although he is still a dick).

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
This book isn't for us to read, it's for us to give someone we want to convert that just needs a little extra push.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »
This book isn't for us to read, it's for us to give someone we want to convert that just needs a little extra push.

A Chick tract for skeptics?

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »

BWAAAAHAHHHAAAAA

Yeah...basically.  Is it wrong to want to convert the fence sitters.  The difference is that we are not racist and sexist bastards like Jack Chick.  That alone makes us the better cult.   ;D  :P

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:20 AM »

BWAAAAHAHHHAAAAA

Yeah...basically.  Is it wrong to want to convert the fence sitters.  The difference is that we are not racist and sexist bastards like Jack Chick.  That alone makes us the better cult.   ;D  :P

I think converting people to skepticism is better than converting people to what the chick tracts are trying to convert people to.

But I would rather just help people learn to think critically on their own rather than convert them to anything.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:37:02 PM »
I think converting people to skepticism is better than converting people to what the chick tracts are trying to convert people to.

But I would rather just help people learn to think critically on their own rather than convert them to anything.

I agree.  And I think using that sort of religious terminology is best avoided, because people tend to use it to accuse skeptics of being just another belief system.

But I do think the great majority of skeptical people will naturally find their ways to a number of shared conclusions about ethics, science, reality, and so forth.

And I think Skeptoid is great.  His episode on nuclear power is my skeptical claim to anonymous fame, as I suggested that topic when my father-in-law told me that almost no one died at Chernobyl.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:42:33 PM »

I agree.  And I think using that sort of religious terminology is best avoided, because people tend to use it to accuse skeptics of being just another belief system.

I agree.  You know what else tends to encourage people to accuse skeptics of being just another belief system?  Skeptics acting like skepticism is just another belief system!

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »

I agree.  You know what else tends to encourage people to accuse skeptics of being just another belief system?  Skeptics acting like skepticism is just another belief system!

Dear FSM, you people take things WAY too literally.

Excuse me if this is the reason I don't post anything intelligent to these boards.  I have better things to do then argue over the semantics of words.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 01:32:20 AM »

Dear FSM, you people take things WAY too literally.

Excuse me if this is the reason I don't post anything intelligent to these boards.  I have better things to do then argue over the semantics of words.

i challenge the context of the use of the word 'word' in the above post.  i don't think that semantics actually have words.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline MikeSmith

• Frequent Poster
    • My Strange New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 05:29:25 AM »
[You know what else tends to encourage people to accuse skeptics of being just another belief system?  Skeptics acting like skepticism is just another belief system!

I certainly don't think skepticism is just another system of beliefs.  Honestly, I think that's more the sort of mentality that people who choose to liberally mix faith and reason are more prone to.

I remember being in high school, before being introduced to the skeptical mindset, and everyone was leaving to the 50th anniversary of the Roswell Incident, with alien masks, etc.  (I grew up in Albuquerque.)  I remember thinking, "Well, what do I believe happened there?" and my train of thought had nothing much to do with evidence, but with what beliefs worked best for me at the time.

There's a huge difference between a skeptics' way and the believers' way.  Skepticism can never truly be just another sort of belief system, because its demand for evidence and its willingness to truly discuss and analyze every point make that an impossibility.
2012  <---Google Bomb it!

www.mystrangenewmexico.com

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
There's a huge difference between a skeptics' way and the believers' way.  Skepticism can never truly be just another sort of belief system, because its demand for evidence and its willingness to truly discuss and analyze every point make that an impossibility.

I have heard Christians make very similar statements about why Christianity isn't a religion.  Trying to differentiate "skepticism" from other beliefs system reduces skepticism to a "believe system".  Why not just say that is a way of thinking which everyone should adopt no matter what their politics, religion, culture, philosophy, favorite sport team, etc... and leave it at that.

personate-rain