Author Topic: Henry M. Morris - The Bible & Modern Science (1968)  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
Henry M. Morris - The Bible & Modern Science (1968)
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
I found this small booklet at a yardsale over the weekend, and purchased it for twenty cents.  It has been a while since I have read some biblical literature from the literal bible camp, and twenty cents was cheap. 

Mr Morris's profile is covered on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_M._Morris.

Here's the goal of the book:

"The purpose of this book, very frankly and without apology, is to win people to the genuine faith in Jesus Christ as the eternal son of God and the Bible as the Word of God . . . The Christian faith is not founded on wishful thinking or blind acceptance of tradition, but rather on a tremendous body of real, objective evidence." -from the preface

Boy, does this book fail, and fail badly. Not that I was expecting anything less, but man it always amazes me just what blinders a true young Earth creationist must put on to write something like this booklet.

What I should not have surprised me, but did, was that Morris's arguments against science are still being rolled out today like month old moldy bread.  The gaps in the fossil record, genetics cannot work because things cannot be made more complex over time, Noah's flood is as good or better reason that we have fossils buried in the different strata of rocks, and not long geologic time.  He cherry picks biblical passage to support biblical knowledge of the water cycle.  The bible shows how the trinity and the three can actually be one.  He indicates that a man could have been swallowed by a whale and lived like Jonah.  (He claims it has occurred in modern times and been documented.) 

The most interesting thing I found in the book is that he postulates that the reason mankind lived so long in biblical times, and not today is that before the flood a ring or strata of water surrounded the Earth.  The water protected the planet from cosmic rays, etc. making it healthier to live on the planet.  However, after all the water came tumbling down for the great flood then all the radiation could reach the Earth's surface making it a less healthy to live.  Therefore, this would kill people off at an earlier age.  It is a crazy theory.  However, if I were a true believer without any scientific knowledge it sure sounds right. 

It makes me want to hop in the car and drive out the Creationist Museum in Kentucky.  Maybe, we can get a SGU/Skepchick weekend junket planned. 

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Henry M. Morris - The Bible & Modern Science (1968)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »
The most interesting thing I found in the book is that he postulates that the reason mankind lived so long in biblical times, and not today is that before the flood a ring or strata of water surrounded the Earth.  The water protected the planet from cosmic rays, etc. making it healthier to live on the planet.  However, after all the water came tumbling down for the great flood then all the radiation could reach the Earth's surface making it a less healthy to live.  Therefore, this would kill people off at an earlier age.  It is a crazy theory.  However, if I were a true believer without any scientific knowledge it sure sounds right.

Wait, what? Is he talking about what I think he's talking about? A Dyson Sphere around the Earth... made of water? That's a fail of such magnitude that no image macro could possibly ever express it with anywhere near adequacy.