Author Topic: KARMA!  (Read 15155 times)

Offline Bob C

• Well Established
Re: KARMA!
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »
First of all I really don't want anyone to leave

Now come on, that can't be true...

And ducky, in fairness I never even really realised this forum was here until a few days ago, most people won't check it regularly, and some people probably just don't care about something as small as Karma.

If I had voted, it would have been to get rid of it, since it's never used 'properly' (ie, according to my specific definition of how it should be used). Too many people take pride in being the asshole with -300 karma.

Offline Hazzel

• Dark Vader
  • Well Established
  • If I were wrong, don't you think I'd know it?
    • "the cave"
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »
Given that the protests that popped up today (a week or so after the poll was created to vote on whether the karma function stayed or not) were what reminded me to tally the votes and either leave or disable karma (It was voted off the island) I'd say the protestations are a bit silly now.

It seems to me that there is a general lack of paying attention to this forum (and the maintenance section) in regards to forum functions.

I gave the forum the opportunity to vote on a new feature.  It seems that the majority of those who voted agreed with Margrat - karma is gone.  What's troubling to me is that the number of people who voted was less than 1% of the active users on this forum.  I would have thought the opportunity to help shape the community here in regards to function of the software would be important.

I will continue to offer polls of this nature in the future on new features, and continue to seek input on feature changes as they are planned and executed, but I can't hold out for everyone to wake up and notice a week late, I simply don't have that much time to devote to development for this forum's software.

Ducky... Is this whole post a response to my post?
To be clear my post was not directed to you in any way... (except maybe in the sense that you are an admin and I said "that's what we have admins for"... in a good way). So I was not protesting against you if that what it seemed like :) Sorry if it did. I was merely speaking my mind about Magrat wanting to leave the forum because a boob-mania and how meaningless I thought it was that happened when we have all means to avoid it just as it is right now.

My post was never about the karma thing - I think it's great you try new things and have polls weather it's good or not! (I was not very active during the week and did not vote, but I think to those it matters much, they will vote)
I also took the whole thing light-heartedly and can't imagine the connection being made between the karma and the boobs... (I know the reasons, I just don't get them).

I realize I should've been more specific in my original post. Sorry for any misunderstanding. I talked about being direct and did not follow through myself I guess!  :-\
"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing,
but it's not one half as bad as a lot of ignorence".
- Granny Weatherwax

Stupid brilliant Philip Pullman and his stupidly brilliant yet complicated series.

Offline Hazzel

• Dark Vader
  • Well Established
    • "the cave"
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
First of all I really don't want anyone to leave

Now come on, that can't be true...

Sure it is bob! :) I think ultimately I will learn something from everyone posting. (E.g. Magrat is posting quite a lot.)
- Granny Weatherwax

Stupid brilliant Philip Pullman and his stupidly brilliant yet complicated series.

Offline Bob C

• Well Established
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2008, 01:11:47 PM »

Sure it is bob! :) I think ultimately I will learn something from everyone posting. (E.g. Magrat is posting quite a lot.)

:o Fair enough...

(but even the Dutch people?  ???)

... ;D

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
Given that the protests that popped up today (a week or so after the poll was created to vote on whether the karma function stayed or not) were what reminded me to tally the votes and either leave or disable karma (It was voted off the island) I'd say the protestations are a bit silly now.

It seems to me that there is a general lack of paying attention to this forum (and the maintenance section) in regards to forum functions.

I gave the forum the opportunity to vote on a new feature.  It seems that the majority of those who voted agreed with Margrat - karma is gone.  What's troubling to me is that the number of people who voted was less than 1% of the active users on this forum.  I would have thought the opportunity to help shape the community here in regards to function of the software would be important.

I will continue to offer polls of this nature in the future on new features, and continue to seek input on feature changes as they are planned and executed, but I can't hold out for everyone to wake up and notice a week late, I simply don't have that much time to devote to development for this forum's software.

Ducky... Is this whole post a response to my post?
To be clear my post was not directed to you in any way... (except maybe in the sense that you are an admin and I said "that's what we have admins for"... in a good way). So I was not protesting against you if that what it seemed like :) Sorry if it did. I was merely speaking my mind about Magrat wanting to leave the forum because a boob-mania and how meaningless I thought it was that happened when we have all means to avoid it just as it is right now.

My post was never about the karma thing - I think it's great you try new things and have polls weather it's good or not! (I was not very active during the week and did not vote, but I think to those it matters much, they will vote)
I also took the whole thing light-heartedly and can't imagine the connection being made between the karma and the boobs... (I know the reasons, I just don't get them).

I realize I should've been more specific in my original post. Sorry for any misunderstanding. I talked about being direct and did not follow through myself I guess!  :-\

I don't know man, I had just come off a long overnight shift and was practically drooling on my keyboard.  It was just thoughts.

Offline Hazzel

• Dark Vader
  • Well Established
    • "the cave"
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2008, 06:12:23 PM »
no worries.
- Granny Weatherwax

personate-rain
personate-rain