Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 41345 times)

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
On another note, I'm still sticking with Lee Adama or Bill Adama being the final cylon.

My money is on the Admiral ... after the flashback they revealed in Razor, there are all sorts of ways that this could be possible. I have a harder time with Lee because anyone who has parents that we see and know about on the show seems much less likely to be a Cylon to me. If Lee is a cylon but Bill is not, then how did that happen? It requires more explanation than the other possibility I think, since they've already established that Bill was on that Cylon ship and even put his hand in that one tank thing, so there are all sorts of ways that they could expand on that to explain how the Bill of now is actually a Cylon.
<LeetheAgent> Kikyo is awesome!

Quote from: Black_Magic
Sure... but Pokemon was FREAKIN' AWESOME, while your anime is gay :D

Offline thefellswooper

• One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 03:18:29 PM »
Didn't Deana say that only four of the final five were in the fleet?  My money is on the fifth being someone else who's been waiting for them on Earth, pulling the strings on the great mother-and-child reunion lovefest.  Someone who intercepted Starbuck, took her to Earth and returned her in a shiny new viper.  I'm not sure who it could be, though, in terms of characters we know - the only thought I've had is the obnoxious priestess friend of Roslin. Or maybe Ellen Tigh.  Someone we thought was dead.

Having the fifth be someone who will be surprising enough to have an emotional punch at this point seems almost out of the question for the writers.  Everyone suspects Adama, Roslin and especially Starbuck, so that's too easy (plus, as I said, I think it's been ruled out by dialogue).  But we'd hardly care if it turned out to be Ellen Tigh.  Would we?
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 03:27:42 PM »
Could Deanna have been playing word games when she said that four of the five were on the fleet, meaning that maybe the fifth was on the base star? I picked up that idea somewhere and I'm not sure where, but I didn't deduce it. I still like it, though I can't remember who was where and I don't want to go back and watch right now.

I wouldn't care that much if it were Ellen Tigh, but she always seemed like a scene-stealing secondary character with no real story of her own. More so than even Anders or Tori. I can't even begin to guess who it is. I feel like, based on her reaction to the last of the Final 5 Faces she gazed upon in her vision, that she already knows who the missing one is and that it wouldn't be someone she'd never seen before. I don't like the idea that they encounter someone brand-new on Earth. I don't mind them encountering a copy of someone who hasn't woken up yet.

Caveat: I suck at predicting television show arcs. None of my predictions ever come true anyway.

Offline thefellswooper

• Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 03:42:11 PM »
Could Deanna have been playing word games when she said that four of the five were on the fleet, meaning that maybe the fifth was on the base star? I picked up that idea somewhere and I'm not sure where, but I didn't deduce it. I still like it, though I can't remember who was where and I don't want to go back and watch right now.

I wouldn't care that much if it were Ellen Tigh, but she always seemed like a scene-stealing secondary character with no real story of her own. More so than even Anders or Tori. I can't even begin to guess who it is. I feel like, based on her reaction to the last of the Final 5 Faces she gazed upon in her vision, that she already knows who the missing one is and that it wouldn't be someone she'd never seen before. I don't like the idea that they encounter someone brand-new on Earth. I don't mind them encountering a copy of someone who hasn't woken up yet.

I agree, I think she recognized all five.  But the base-star wordgame thing seems like too much of a cop out.  Although the show has had some similar cop outs before.

Caveat: I suck at predicting television show arcs. None of my predictions ever come true anyway.

Whereas my tv show arc prognostications are so eerily accurate that my mouth should be enclosed in spoiler tags. :P

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »
Were the last 6 seconds of the last episode of the first half of season 4 like a bad music video, or what? Why were they all in black? Did they stumble into a Cure concert?
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »
I'm not sure who it could be, though, in terms of characters we know - the only thought I've had is the obnoxious priestess friend of Roslin. Or maybe Ellen Tigh.  Someone we thought was dead.

Billy!

Up until they show that final Cylon I'm keeping the dream alive that Billy Keikeya is coming back. Poor Billy. :(

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
Were the last 6 seconds of the last episode of the first half of season 4 like a bad music video, or what? Why were they all in black? Did they stumble into a Cure concert?

It looked like the Staten Island dump photo from the Sopranos  minus bodies of course.

What about the "clue" when Athena was looking for Hera, and everyone she asked was a known "secret Cylon" except Diala? She shared many of the same characteristics of the others... key position, romantically involved with a key human. When Lee took the Pegasus away from New Caprica, she was his second in command, the same as Tighe was Captain Adama's.

"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

I just thought of something. Could the fifth Cylon be the oracle played by Amanda Plummer? The one who asked Deanna for candy because kamala was so bitter on the last day of New Caprica, and who prophesied that Deanna would hold Hera before nightfall?

I love me some Amanda Plummer, and those two characters did have a meaningful interaction.

Offline thefellswooper

• Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

I just thought of something. Could the fifth Cylon be the oracle played by Amanda Plummer? The one who asked Deanna for candy because kamala was so bitter on the last day of New Caprica, and who prophesied that Deanna would hold Hera before nightfall?

I love me some Amanda Plummer, and those two characters did have a meaningful interaction.

She seems a little too minor to me, but it's plausible.  How about... Admiral Kane?  How awesome would that be?

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

She seems a little too minor to me, but it's plausible.  How about... Admiral Kane?  How awesome would that be?

That would be interesting.  Even more interesting are the ads that Number Six is doing for PETA.
#non-belief denialist

Offline IrishJazz

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Amanda Plummer... great actress, but it mights as well be Lampkin. Ditto Admiral Kane... awesome actress but all it would add is another murdering Cylon. The big reveal has to tie everything together... the head characters, Starbuck's return, the theology of the series either manifested as an unseen godlike faction or actual supernatural forces. I hope the former, although the astrology in the Temple, the psychic visions in the hyperspace between jumps, etc. does not bode well.

Ending a mythology is very difficult, few pull it off well.  
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline thefellswooper

• Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Amanda Plummer... great actress, but it mights as well be Lampkin. Ditto Admiral Kane... awesome actress but all it would add is another murdering Cylon. The big reveal has to tie everything together... the head characters, Starbuck's return, the theology of the series either manifested as an unseen godlike faction or actual supernatural forces. I hope the former, although the astrology in the Temple, the psychic visions in the hyperspace between jumps, etc. does not bode well.

Ending a mythology is very difficult, few pull it off well.  

That's where my theory about Roslin's priestess friend came from.  All of the supposedly supernatural forces were setups to achieve her personal goal of unifying the cylons and humans and teaching them the valuable lesson that you shouldn't be mean to others.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »
Of course it could turn out to all be a dream of Baltar's.  Kinda like Dallas, only more lame.

I would LOL.
#non-belief denialist

Offline IrishJazz

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Of course it could turn out to all be a dream of Baltar's.  Kinda like Dallas, only more lame.

I would LOL.

The only thing online is this odd series of picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pkchan/BattlestarGalacticaSFUWithPresidentLauraRoslin/photo#5218673778466355794

Of Roslyn on a sculpture underneath a fountain on what looks like Caprica from the pilot and the Baltar flashbacks.

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »

That's where my theory about Roslin's priestess friend came from.  All of the supposedly supernatural forces were setups to achieve her personal goal of unifying the cylons and humans and teaching them the valuable lesson that you shouldn't be mean to others.

Yes, that makes sense ... whoever the final one is, it has to be someone who is kind of "in charge" for lack of a better word. Someone who knows what's going on and has been pulling strings towards a greater purpose. I can't make sense of it if it's yet another person who had no idea what they were. My take on it has been that the Cylon "god" is actually the final Cylon, while the human gods were based on actual people of the past that were given godlike status through time, and I'm kind of hoping they'll find some answers about that on what is left of earth. But that could just be my heathenish take on it -- all the visions and some other strange happenings, like Chip Six being able to physically lift Baltar, make me think that it's not so simple as that.

personate-rain