Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 39432 times)

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »
On another note, I'm still sticking with Lee Adama or Bill Adama being the final cylon.

Well, it certainly could be them, except that if it was, it would make no sense.

Why?  Because if it's either of them, there's actually a "final 6" cylons, not "final 5".

Why?

Well, Lee's dad, who shares some common memories with Lee, happens to be there!  Fake memories make sense with a character like "Boomer" who believed her family to be dead, and had nobody to fact check against.  

Unless of course, William Adama is a cylon too, which would turn the "final 5" into a "final 6".

Okay, well what if Lee is the final cylon and it turns out Lee's mother was the cylon responsible for Lee?  Well, Lee and William have seen ALL the female cylon models, and have not yelled "mom!" or "wife!" to any of them.  So, another, not previously seen female cylon is required.  Bringing our total to 6 yet again.

What if it's William?  Well, if it's William, then Lee is a cylon too....and we get 6 yet again....

This concept of a "final 5" cylons is something the show has been feeding us for almost 2 years, if it turns out it's really a "final 6" then the show will display a ridiculous amount of open, naked contempt for it's audience.  I doubt that will happen.  It ain't Lee or William.  Bet the mortgage.
Well.  There it is.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »

That's where my theory about Roslin's priestess friend came from.  All of the supposedly supernatural forces were setups to achieve her personal goal of unifying the cylons and humans and teaching them the valuable lesson that you shouldn't be mean to others.

Yes, that makes sense ... whoever the final one is, it has to be someone who is kind of "in charge" for lack of a better word. Someone who knows what's going on and has been pulling strings towards a greater purpose. I can't make sense of it if it's yet another person who had no idea what they were. My take on it has been that the Cylon "god" is actually the final Cylon, while the human gods were based on actual people of the past that were given godlike status through time, and I'm kind of hoping they'll find some answers about that on what is left of earth. But that could just be my heathenish take on it -- all the visions and some other strange happenings, like Chip Six being able to physically lift Baltar, make me think that it's not so simple as that.

In the podcast Moore said that the physical movement of Baltar by Head Six was a mistake... it was not supposed to be so obvious to a bystander. (I notice you calling her "Chip Six," didn't Baltar get scanned and find out it wasn't a chip? And if it was, how does that explain the Head Baltar Caprica Six and Baltar were both seeing?

I don't think it will be the priestess, again too minor and too ineffectual in her last appearance. It may still be whoever Deanna apologized to in the Opera House. Again, my sense is that there is a third faction affecting everythng.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline thefellswooper

• One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 09:55:21 PM »

That's where my theory about Roslin's priestess friend came from.  All of the supposedly supernatural forces were setups to achieve her personal goal of unifying the cylons and humans and teaching them the valuable lesson that you shouldn't be mean to others.

Yes, that makes sense ... whoever the final one is, it has to be someone who is kind of "in charge" for lack of a better word. Someone who knows what's going on and has been pulling strings towards a greater purpose. I can't make sense of it if it's yet another person who had no idea what they were. My take on it has been that the Cylon "god" is actually the final Cylon, while the human gods were based on actual people of the past that were given godlike status through time, and I'm kind of hoping they'll find some answers about that on what is left of earth. But that could just be my heathenish take on it -- all the visions and some other strange happenings, like Chip Six being able to physically lift Baltar, make me think that it's not so simple as that.

In the podcast Moore said that the physical movement of Baltar by Head Six was a mistake... it was not supposed to be so obvious to a bystander. (I notice you calling her "Chip Six," didn't Baltar get scanned and find out it wasn't a chip? And if it was, how does that explain the Head Baltar Caprica Six and Baltar were both seeing?

I don't think it will be the priestess, again too minor and too ineffectual in her last appearance. It may still be whoever Deanna apologized to in the Opera House. Again, my sense is that there is a third faction affecting everythng.

My assumption has been that she apologized to Saul Tigh, since her peeps had recently poked his eye out and all that.
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 10:09:09 PM »

I call her Chip Six because that's what I've called her since she appeared. Basically that's what Jacob called her in his recaps over at Television Without Pity, so that's how I refer to her. It has nothing to do with my actual thoughts about what she is. By the way ... his recaps are long, but I love his writing. Some of his recaps make me get kind of teary ... the episode that was about Kat, for example. And his recap of Razor. He's normally a fiction writer so he gets a bit poetic, but I love it.

It kind of annoys me that her being shown lifting him was a mistake. It was so visible that I thought it had to be purposeful and to find out it was a mistake is ... I don't know, disappointing, I guess. Usually the show is not so sloppy, especially with a moment like that, which could potentially have a lot of meaning.
<LeetheAgent> Kikyo is awesome!

Quote from: Black_Magic
Sure... but Pokemon was FREAKIN' AWESOME, while your anime is gay :D

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »

Episode 7, season 4

here's one i found on flickr

Offline thefellswooper

• Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »

Episode 7, season 4

here's one i found on flickr

I'm surprised you didn't post it in the mac vs. pc thread :P.

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »
Is there such a thread now, on these forums? Sigh.

EDIT: Awesome pic, sketchy!
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline musteion

• Well Established
  • Lord of The Pants
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
Reading this thread is depressing since I've clearly forgotten half of what happened in the first part of the season.

To the DVD player!

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 09:25:25 AM »
Reading this thread is depressing since I've clearly forgotten half of what happened in the first part of the season.

To the DVD player!

Funny thing happened this week.

My wife and I were watching our Season 3 DVDs...(she got pulled into the show midway through season 2 after scoffing at it for a while.  She generally HATES sci fi) and I brought up the miniseries.  She said "what miniseries?", then I said, "You know, the miniseries that happened before season 1."  She then said, "WTF!? I never saw that!" So, I dug out the Season 1 DVDs, and now our TV viewing for the week is set.....
Well.  There it is.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »

Is there a single message board on the web without a Mac v PC thread?

"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »

Oh, the humanity.
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »

I used to run one, but only because I ruthlessly deleted the threads whenever they came up.
#non-belief denialist

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »
Of the three boards I visit regularly, this is the only one with a Mac/PC thread. I just checked. Although the topic has come up elsewhere, usually regarding browser anomalies.

Offline wannabeplato

• Well Established
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 10:21:54 PM »

My assumption has been that she apologized to Saul Tigh, since her peeps had recently poked his eye out and all that.

Did she apologize to just one of them? or in general?  I assume dit was for everything they did to them while they were on New Caprica
"Well, once again, my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences... But the other head of science is bad. Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur. It bites." - The Tick

Offline thefellswooper

• Frequent Poster
  • Statist
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »

Did she apologize to just one of them? or in general?  I assume dit was for everything they did to them while they were on New Caprica

It seemed to be addressed to one of them in particular, after she had seen the others.  She touched his/her face as she apologized, as I recall, and said something like "we had no idea".  I haven't seen that episode since it aired, though, so all of my memories may be false.