Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 41402 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #615 on: March 29, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
Why do we have to ruin a show like BSG with a flame war?

Well, if I can claim credit for ruining a show, I will happily do so.  That's something to be proud of.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2009, 01:57:21 AM »
i didn't like how preachy it was.  i can deal with the mysteries, like what kara was, why cavil suicided, why any of it had to happen at all, but it got preachy.

like ah.hell said, 45 min of good TV, then a huge fart for the rest of it.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
It is nice to see that the spirit of uber dorkery that began such legendary battles as the great "Picard vs. Kirk" and "Joel vs. Mike" flame wars of the mid 1990's is still alive and well on the internets.....
Well.  There it is.

Moon Police

« Reply #618 on: March 30, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »
*Moon Police pretends last exchange never happened*

So does this "God did it" bullshit ruin Caprica for anybody? Who the hell cares what happened on Caprica if we have an interventionist God running around all over the place tying up loose story threads all the time. I was excited about the new series but now I have a feeling I'll be watching it with a puss on, looking for things to tear apart. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice....uh whatever.
It's possible that they will drop the whole "God thing" from Caprica but that might almost be worse.

Seriously though how are we supposed to be invested in the storyline of Caprica after the way this one turned out?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:02:53 PM by Moon Police »

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #619 on: March 31, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
Seriously though how are we supposed to be invested in the storyline of Caprica after the way this one turned out?

I think we're supposed to agree with the preaching at the end of BSG.  "Technology is teh ruin of us all!"

Although, now that i'm thinking about it, the fake Baltar and Six (i refuse to call them anything else, especially "angels," *vomix*) said something about how it had all changed, so i guess technology isn't teh ruin of us all?

But we are definitely supposed to agree with or at least be comfortable with the idea of a "god" doing it all.  I suppose if this were any other group of people, we'd be ok with it.  but all those other people are stupid and this was a lame ending that limped across my screen forlornly before jumping off a cliff into an ocean of sharks.

Moon Police

« Reply #620 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »

I think we're supposed to agree with the preaching at the end of BSG.  "Technology is teh ruin of us all!"

Although, now that i'm thinking about it, the fake Baltar and Six (i refuse to call them anything else, especially "angels," *vomix*) said something about how it had all changed, so i guess technology isn't teh ruin of us all?

But we are definitely supposed to agree with or at least be comfortable with the idea of a "god" doing it all.  I suppose if this were any other group of people, we'd be ok with it.  but all those other people are stupid and this was a lame ending that limped across my screen forlornly before jumping off a cliff into an ocean of sharks.

I think your right, but I also meant with the whole Hera (and other plot points) "Deus ex machina" crap they pulled.
Maybe this (Caprica) will be different because we know the ending to the new series....or do we?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:12:28 AM by Moon Police »

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #621 on: April 01, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »

Hurl all you want Panda, but they started setting up this outcome a long time ago. The only degree of freedom they had was whether to make the unseen faction a technologically advanced civilization or God (recognizing that per Arthur Clarke's dictum the two might be indistinguishable.) 

From a pure plotting standpoint, it really doesn't make a difference. One deux is pretty much the same as another. The reason to turn against technology is not so much philosophical as an opportunistic way of making Hera important to us all- the Mitochondrial Eve. 

There was much about BSG that was visceral, but very little that was deep.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #622 on: April 01, 2009, 04:26:17 PM »
The only degree of freedom they had was whether to make the unseen faction a technologically advanced civilization or God (recognizing that per Arthur Clarke's dictum the two might be indistinguishable.)

hm... good point.  unfortunately all the talk about god being a force of nature points towards this not being a super-civilization, but i am willing to be wrong here.

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #623 on: April 01, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
On a lighter note - how many saw Tricia Helfer on Chuck?  She was a spy sent in to evaluate and possibly replace Sarah (not!), and at one point dressed up like a cop-stripper for Captain Awesome's bachelor party. 

A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

personate-rain