Author Topic: BBOAT - Discussion/Debate  (Read 8829 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Re: BBOAT - Discussion/Debate
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:16:58 AM »
Also, I notice that this list is specifically "Rock and Roll" bands. This would explain why they gave Radiohead a 50 on technical ability.. they aren't a fucking rock and roll band, and most of their technical prowess can't be classified as rock and roll.

No polka!!!

Maybe just this once.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:23:28 AM by seaotter »
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline AlKat

• Off to a Start
  • Trivia whore
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 12:47:22 AM »
I think the title of "Best Band of All Time" is something which can be debated and consensually agreed upon. I'm being insanely optimistic but I'd like to give it a shot.

Impact needs to considered. Trendsetters.  What sort of influence on music in general did the band have.
An example would be Nirvana.  Their sound was so new and creative that there was a sea change
in rock music after Nevermind. Old rock became classic and new rock became alternative. The Beatles had the same effect a generation earlier with Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper's.  I like Radiohead too.  Maybe they are best band right now, I won't disagree with that.  But BBOAT?
The Beatles.
Facts are stubborn things.
   -John Adams

Facts are stupid things.
    -Ronald Reagan

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    -Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Facts?  Facts can be used to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    -Homer Simpson

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 12:57:42 AM »
I think the title of "Best Band of All Time" is something which can be debated and consensually agreed upon. I'm being insanely optimistic but I'd like to give it a shot.

Impact needs to considered. Trendsetters.  What sort of influence on music in general did the band have.
An example would be Nirvana.  Their sound was so new and creative that there was a sea change
in rock music after Nevermind. Old rock became classic and new rock became alternative. The Beatles had the same effect a generation earlier with Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper's.  I like Radiohead too.  Maybe they are best band right now, I won't disagree with that.  But BBOAT?
The Beatles.

smegging rifght  Act I need another beer.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 01:15:14 AM »

The Beatles.

Right. I almost felt like putting my support of Radiohead in a separate post because I didn't want this to be a debate about whether or not Radiohead was the BBOAT, I just wanted to say that this was my candidate and then support it using the points I brought up, as a sort of possible template. Unfortunately it's basically become a Radiohead debate.

I agree with this notion of Impact (is there a C word that is synonymous?) is pertinent as well, and in this case Radiohead would score lower than many bands, but this might also be a result of how relatively new they are. But again I use my post to support Radiohead when I really want people to support which band they consider the best...

I just want some solid constructive musical debate. Is that too much to ask?

(Not to downgrade the constructive debate present in your post AlKat.)

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 01:21:21 AM »

The Beatles.

Right. I almost felt like putting my support of Radiohead in a separate post because I didn't want this to be a debate about whether or not Radiohead was the BBOAT, I just wanted to say that this was my candidate and then support it using the points I brought up, as a sort of possible template. Unfortunately it's basically become a Radiohead debate.

I agree with this notion of Impact (is there a C word that is synonymous?) is pertinent as well, and in this case Radiohead would score lower than many bands, but this might also be a result of how relatively new they are. But again I use my post to support Radiohead when I really want people to support which band they consider the best...

I just want some solid constructive musical debate. Is that too much to ask?

(Not to downgrade the constructive debate present in your post AlKat.)

Again my favorite on my list was Tom Petty. Favorite and best of all time aren't the same thing.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 01:33:05 AM »
You are fucking insane if you think that compares to pink floyd and led zepplin. JHMFC Better than the beattles? I'm beside myself. Self can you believe this shit I've been listening to for the last two days? Well come to think of it no. These bands were really before my time too, but damn. I was worried about putting the Grateful dead on th e list shit!!!! Fuck/.. bed

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »
You are fucking insane if you think that compares to pink floyd and led zepplin. JHMFC Better than the beattles? I'm beside myself. Self can you believe this shit I've been listening to for the last two days? Well come to think of it no. These bands were really before my time too, but damn. I was worried about putting the Grateful dead on th e list shit!!!! Fuck/.. bed

Heh. I hope you can clear up your thoughts here when you wake up in the morning.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 01:48:48 AM »

Heh. I hope you can clear up your thoughts here when you wake up in the morning.

Over it. Just tryed out radiohead. Good band. Like them think I'll buy some.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 09:46:55 PM »
radiohead = best thing ever. /bias
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 09:50:04 PM »

Don't have to tell me. Neutral milk gave me this glass of kool-aid the other day and ever since I can't stop listening to radiohead.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 09:54:54 PM »

Don't have to tell me. Neutral milk gave me this glass of kool-aid the other day and ever since I can't stop listening to radiohead.

what's your fav so far?

/doesn't care that this isn't relevant to thread topic, except that radiohead is BBOAT.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »

what's your fav so far?

/doesn't care that this isn't relevant to thread topic, except that radiohead is BBOAT.

Depends on mood. But I'm a Pink Floyd/Tom Petty/Jimi Hendrix/REM kinda guy, except of course for the best band ever.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 10:18:58 PM »
I respectfully disagree with the criteria, and would like to make a suggestion based purely on influence.

I note that naming the BBOAT is a fools errand. Fortunately, I am qualified.

The Velvet Underground

A notoriously stormy group, with frequent changes in personnel (Nico, John Cale) whose career ended after only 4 records that sold relatively poorly. They never really had a hit, and only Lou Reed went on to a somewhat successful career afterwards.  But before the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" they pioneered the dark combination of art and music that formed the foundation for many groups that followed- including every alternative band up to and including Radiohead.  They experimented with noise, with themes of depression and addiction, as well as composing some really pretty songs. (There are any number of bands... including one some friends of mine really like called Luna... whose entire career is based on figuring out different ways to cover "Pale Blue Eyes" from the Velvet's third album.)

They certainly fit the last category. The music is as timeless, raw, experimental today as it was 40 years ago. A friend of mine has a jazz band called "Boots of Leather" that started off doing improvistory covers of Velvets songs, a fairly rich vein to mine.

Of course they often sucked live, but fortunately most people old enough to have seen them are not hanging aound these boards. They might have been better if you were on acid. Or smack.

There are lots of other great bands of course. But if you have to pick one, make it interesting. Or at least provacative.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:27:10 PM by IrishJazz »
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
I respectfully disagree with the criteria, and would like to make a suggestion based purely on influence.

I note that naming the BBOAT is a fools errand. Fortunately, I am qualified.

The Velvet Underground

A notoriously stormy group, with frequent changes in personnel (Nico, John Cale) whose career ended after only 4 records that sold relatively poorly. They never really had a hit, and only Lou Reed went on to a somewhat successful career afterwards.  But before the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" they pioneered the dark combination of art and music that formed the foundation for many groups that followed- including every alternative band up to and including Radiohead.  They experimented with noise, with themes of depression and addiction, as well as composing some really pretty songs. (There are any number of bands... including one some friends of mine really like called Luna... whose entire career is based on figuring out different ways to cover "Pale Blue Eyes" from the Velvet's third album.)

The certainly fit the last category. The music is as timeless, raw, experimental today as it was 40 years ago. A friend of mine has a jazz band called "Boots of Leather" that started off doing improvistory covers of Velvets songs, a fairly rich vein to mine.

Of course they often sucked live, but fortunately most people old enough to have seen them are not hanging aound these boards. They might have been better if you were on acid. Or smack.

There are lots of other great bands of course. But if you have to pick one, make it interesting. Or at least provacative.

It's my wifes favorite. Fail. Thought about putting in the poll.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 01:54:55 AM »

what's your fav so far?

Depends on mood. But I'm a Pink Floyd/Tom Petty/Jimi Hendrix/REM kinda guy, except of course for the best band ever.

no, no, radiohead song, what's your favorite radiohead song so far?  that's all i care about.

personate-rain
personate-rain