Author Topic: George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (1996 - ?)  (Read 48909 times)

Offline Watcher

• Off to a Start
Re: George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (1996 - ?)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »
I disagree that AFfC was mangled. It was slower and had less plot development then ASoS but it was still excellently written. The characters were still excellently written, the same with the pacing and everything else that is making the series great. It helps if you think about all the large events that happened in ASoS, this book had to be slower as reactions to those events shook out. I expect his next book A Dance with Dragons to be about the same, in terms of plot development. All the POVs that weren't in AFfC, and a few that were, will be in that book.

And it is simply a fact that Martin writes slow. I've been following this series since 1998 and had to accept that as a reader.

Offline FireFox

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 05:41:32 AM »
my personal objections to AFFC are more to do with content, biggest concerns are (memory from long ago)
Sex that seems pointless and overly described for no more reason that titalation
An implied death (though that may change)

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:34:58 AM »
Now I guess I'll have to get HBO!!!

Quote from: George R.R. Martin
Huge, Huge News
Nov. 11th, 2008 at 10:29 PM
HBO has given the production order.

They will be filming the pilot episode of A GAME OF THRONES.

It's just the pilot so far. They'll need to see that before they decide whether to proceed with a full season's episodes. So let's all hope the pilot will kick serious ass.

It should. David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series.

More details when I have 'em. The news is very fresh. HBO just issued their own press release, which should be up on their website soon, if it's not there already.

Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:44:00 AM by jkessler »
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »
Oh hell ya!

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 02:25:58 AM »
I started re-reading this series recently. I'm mostly done with book 2 now and I have to say... this is the best fantasy series I've ever read. The first time through it was pretty complicated - he kind of drops you in the middle of everything and forces you to catch up. But after getting through, gathering my wits, getting bored at work and doing some background reading, and then buying books 1-4, this is just great. It's like what Robert Jordan tried to turn Wheel of Time into but failed. Mostly political intrigue, but involving characters you actually care about. Not reliant on magic to drive the plot at all, and when magic is there it's always really, really sinister and freaky. The absolute best feature though, is that you never know what is going to happen. See this major character here, who you love and care about? Oh wow, they just died. Did they really? Damn. They did. See, random things just happen, and they don't necessarily tie into anything else, and (almost) no one is a cliche, you always expect the hero to get the girl or what have you, but that happens about as often as it would in real life. Which isn't often. And let me point out that "hero getting the girl" is far too cliche for this series anyway; it serves only as an example. For the most part, no one is really a hero and no one is really a villain. It's as close to reality as a fantasy series can get. Simply the best.

Yes, A Feast for Crows was missing most of the best characters and was kind of slow, and GRRM needs to hurry the hell up.

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  More people need to read this!

There were a couple places where someone dies and I'm thinking:
"wait... what?  :o  Did I read that right?  Holy $hit! Must be a dream... He/She/It can't die!  ??? I must have got that wrong 

*goes back and reads again*

"Dammit! I hate you George!!!  >:("

*throws book away in disgust only to pick it up 5 minutes later to see what happens next*
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »
And Tyrion's a skeptic.

A little skeptic - but a skeptic.

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 11:51:54 PM »
That could be why he's my favorite character in any fantasy series. You just sympathize with him so much! Not that I'm a dwarf or anything but you know what I mean. Although he's certainly rivaled by [highlight next post for spoilers]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:57:47 PM by DeepGlue »

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 11:54:44 PM »
[modified with real spoiler tags now that we have them]

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:49:46 AM by DeepGlue »

Offline Felt Martin

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 05:01:22 PM »
Was surprised there wasn't a topic about this awesome series.  I can't wait till the next one comes out.  Sounds like it should be early next year.

Wait a minute - the series is not finished yet?

I've just started reading the second book but thought I was so late to the party that the whole series was out.

That's annoying. Still, I'm enjoying it very much so far.

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »
Was surprised there wasn't a topic about this awesome series.  I can't wait till the next one comes out.  Sounds like it should be early next year.

Wait a minute - the series is not finished yet?

I've just started reading the second book but thought I was so late to the party that the whole series was out.

That's annoying. Still, I'm enjoying it very much so far.

Yeah, not done yet but good news!  HBO just released the money to film the pilot.  They are now looking for a director.

Offline Felt Martin

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »

Yeah, not done yet but good news!  HBO just released the money to film the pilot.  They are now looking for a director.

Very good news.
Hopefully they spend as much money on it as they did on Deadwood. Casting the kids will be very difficult but they will make or break it for me I think.

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »
HBO Production update:

Filming to occur in Northern Ireland in the fall of '09!  Wooo hooo!

http://grrm.livejournal.com/84893.html

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »
I never made it through the 1st book, sounds like I shouldn't try again?

I actually just finished it this earlier this week.
I really wasn't into the book at first (certainly didn't 'grip me from the first pages and not let go til the very end' or whatever the fuck the blurb said), but after about half way through I began to get into it, and by the end I was glad it was a series rather than the end.

I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone, but I would at least say that you shouldn't dislike the second half as much as the first if you do read it...
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

personate-rain