Author Topic: Influential Indie Albums  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Empty Soul

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Influential Indie Albums
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »
Trolling about today I came across the following site listing the "Most Influential Indie Albums of the ’80s & ’90s"

http://biolog.jamsbio.com/2008/08/01/most-influential-indie-albums-of-the-80s-90s/

Indie is one of my favorite genres and I agree with many of the albums on this site. After all, who can argue the raw impact that is “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea”?
Wizard's First Rule: "People are stupid.... They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Re: Influential Indie Albums
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »
I can't argue with the list. I've got almost none of the albums from the 80s, but I have every single album on the list from the 90s. Does that give me indie cred?  :P

Offline Rabbie

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »
I only discovered “Double Nickels on the Dime” by The Minutemen last year. Fucking brilliant.

Thanks for the post, I'll be checking out those I don't know.

Offline Empty Soul

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »
I can't argue with the list. I've got almost none of the albums from the 80s, but I have every single album on the list from the 90s. Does that give me indie cred?  :P

<Empty Soul bows and confers mad indie cred on Neutral Milk>
Wizard's First Rule: "People are stupid.... They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:05:11 PM »
"The Moldy Peaches" has been pretty influential.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »
After all, who can argue the raw impact that is “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea”?

Not me - note my username  :)  I'm not sure about the influence of it though.

As for that link, I do wonder about the choice of Smiths album. Hatful is great but not commonly mentioned, in my experience, as their best. Usually I see the vote going to Louder Than Bombs. I realize the topic of the article is influential but even in that respect it seems a strange choice since Hatful was also a compilation, so basically a rerelease of stuff.
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline bjza

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 07:59:01 AM »
As for that link, I do wonder about the choice of Smiths album. Hatful is great but not commonly mentioned, in my experience, as their best.

I thought that was odd too. Hatful was the big US seller in the 80s. if the author was around at the time, it might be a lingering "I heard this one first" effect.

EDIT: Apparently I was wrong. It wasn't even released in the US until 93. Odd.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:47:40 AM by bjza »

personate-rain
personate-rain